Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 05:34 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,959 times

Advertisements

My lawd, read this whole thread and couldn't believe the attitudes over a simple topic. Strawberry nailed it on their 1st post. I was worried the mob was going to go to the OP's house with torches! I took her OP to mean that because the complainer is married to the pres. he might have some pull, or was TOLD to write her. Saying he doesn't have any power, could be the wrong opinion.

My late hubby and both my sons are ex-military, and I don't think they have the right to do what this man did. It'd pizz me off also. So OP shared with us. Big whoop, and the mean posts here are why some folks are scared to start threads. Who likes to be blasted for sharing a story? Some here need to get a grip. Could the OP have worded it different so as not to offend those that were? Sure, but how would she have known it would? And does anyone know for sure that his wife didn't have him do it? If so, it IS an HOA problem.

Personally, I'd never attack a poster unless they really deserved it. This one didn't. Snow wrote something about the green house and made it sound like it belonged to a hillbilly. To me, that was worse. Since when are hillbilly's the only ones who like loud colors? In CA. it was the Hispanics that chose them. I think the OP was attacked because she put down HOA's, period.

Anyhoo, this hillbilly wanted to point out if this OP upset you to the point it sounds like it did, maybe you need a nap. Or, your life is so stress free, this is all it took to get you going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 08:50 PM

12 posts, read 39,113 times
Psychotic sociopath on the loose. Glad he is neutered. Maybe someone should buy him a one way ticket to hatersville so he could victimize someone else. Best way to deal with this animal - ignore him and find a large trash can. Did you see if he has any legs? Cuz he does not have one to stand on period. Think he is getting that "postal feeling?" Just keep ignoring him and he will find a new victim. Your flag flying is probably just a ploy for him to test you for placement in the "victim of the month" club. Easy resolution -- you got to pick ur battles, this one is not worth 1 minute.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:01 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
yup... all up until the point where your neighbor paints their house lime green and then you try and sell yours. Good luck with that.
I'd buy a lime green house in a heartbeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretendingtowork View Post
The place we just bought has nice colors
All in approved, muted beiges, no doubt. How can you tell your house from your neighbor's house?

Quote:
This is in a Non-HOA area in Florida where I used to live. Imagine living in the nice house on the right and then seeing your neighbor paint their house this color.
That's so awesome! Bright colors cheer me up. I'd love to see something like that in my neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
We can all agree a broken fridge on the front porch is a no go, but what about side walk chalk or the lawn ornaments the neighbor wants to put out? It worries me something could be banned by the association just because it isn't to their personal tastes. Everyone should be able to decorate and landscape to their tastes when they are paying the mortgage to live there.
Oh, stop! You're making too much sense! And common sense is something HOAs are not known for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Why blame the HOA and act detached like you have no responsibility in the community?
You're not paying attention. Read the OP again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
the green house and made it sound like it belonged to a hillbilly. To me, that was worse. Since when are hillbilly's the only ones who like loud colors?
I painted my house old emerald green, and received tons of compliments on it from neighbors and strangers alike - some of them may have been hillbillies, but who am I to judge?

Oh, yeah, and when I put the house on the market, an offer came in six days after I listed it.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:57 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
Quote:
yup... all up until the point where your neighbor paints their house lime green and then you try and sell yours. Good luck with that.
It's still not any of your business, that's an incidental type of thing. When we start telling people that they should be limited on how they live their lives on their own property because we want to protect our property values, basically you're saying that people's freedoms are for sale. Me personally: I'd rather lose the money I spent on my place if it meant that I wasn't butting my nose into matters like that which, even though obviously I would not want to lose money on my place, still aren't any of my business. Men died for the freedoms we have in this country, and we're going to just prostitute out like that to save some money? That's just shameful.

The only time I think that a neighbor has the right to butt their nose into someone else's business is when how that other person lives TRULY affects one's ability to peacefully enjoy their place. I can totally understand complaints of noise, especially barking dogs at any hour or noisy leaf blowers at 6 in the morning. Things like that I can understand, they truly ruin your ability to enjoy your own property, because it's practically impossible to block noises like that out. Noise pollution has even been known to affect a person's health by doing things such as elevating their blood pressure due to the stress etc. When I'm trying to read in my backyard and can't because your stupid yorkie won't quit flapping his gums every minute, that sort of thing IS my business at some point.

The color of their house, condition of their lawn, presence or absence of junk cars--none of those do any such thing, even if they are tacky. If seeing someone's old VW Bug on cinder blocks bothers you that badly, you're just being anal and ridiculous, even if it is perhaps tacky. Mind your own lawn and your own business. What next, dress codes? Are you offended at the sight of your neighbor wearing Bermuda shorts when someone that age should be in slacks in your mind? Maybe you think everyone should have to wear a suit & tie even in their own yard, you don't want to see a bunch of blue jeans and overalls around you! How about the 43 year old woman who sunbathes in a bikini in her yard--how tacky is that, she's too old to wear a bikini anymore! There should be something done about that, I don't want that view every-time I go in my yard! (Me personally, I'd whip out the binoculars, ha ha.)

Mine, what a bunch of uptight bastards!

Last edited by shyguylh; 04-25-2014 at 11:09 PM..

Old 04-25-2014, 11:31 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
My solution is simple but not for everyone:

I am MOVING asap to a home with no HOA. Cannot take it any longer.
Never again!!

Old 04-28-2014, 06:02 AM

5,202 posts, read 6,142,795 times
Recent true story...my buddy bought here in North East Florida at the height of the boom......he is now living in a subdivision that went under and is about 30% occupied. He has had problems with the monthly HOA being the community was taken by the bank.........that is another story. Fast forward to now, builders are coming in to pick up the lots and build new. There are vacant lots all over the subdivision and because the driveways of all the houses are being built short so you can not park two deep so a lot of people are parking on the vacant lots across the street or along side their homes.

Now the HOA is run by a realtor who does not provide newsletters or meetings...........well last week at about 5 PM a towing company performed a sweep and towed vehicles that were parked on the vacant lots, no notices went out. Now it does not make it right but they have been parking cars on the lots for a bit. I would of thought a mailer would have went out before cars were towed..........$175 later he got his girlfriends car back.

HOA's have a lot of powere.......I think some take it tool far though!

Old 04-28-2014, 06:49 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Final word about the Flag Police:

My loyalty to my country does not need his approval !

Old 04-28-2014, 06:53 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Wow. What a jump to hostility. I haven't ignored anyone here on CD. Ever. So I doubt you'll be my first. I can and do have cordial conversations with people with whom I disagree.
You are the only one I see acting with hostility, from your very first post in this thread, to the OP and other posters.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:18 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Final word about the Flag Police:

My loyalty to my country does not need his approval !
It is outside of the HOA Covenants so I wouldn't worry about it. It is not representative of the HOA, just one man's opinion who isn't even on the board.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:34 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
It is outside of the HOA Covenants so I wouldn't worry about it. It is not representative of the HOA, just one man's opinion who isn't even on the board.

I'm not one iota "worried" about it. The man is a bitter old fool; and I'll repeat what has been said throughout this thread. His WIFE is Pres. of the Board .... he does all of her bidding; she loads the gun and he shoots from the hip. Of course it is outside of the covenants, lots of things are that go on, we just try to ignore it. Which is exactly what I did. Ignore him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate