Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 03:46 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Why did you call the HOA Gestapo? He is not on the board. It was not a violation letter from the HOA.

There is a proper way to display a flag.
He's simply a henpecked old curmudgeon with no authority inside or outside of the house. It's a little flag on a little pole surrounded by daffodils.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 03:51 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
Ignore it or take davebarnes suggestion.

In our previous neighborhood I felt the HOA was getting a little too "busy" and nosy. There was some issue about yard signs, flags, yard decor, etc. There was nothing in the CCRs about this issue. That year I went out at Christmas and bought every ugly, tacky, outdoor decoration I could find. Think "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation." I "dared" them to come talk to me. Not one did, and the neighborhood kids thought it was excellent.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:06 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,851,625 times
How about your state flag to go along with it?

Wait until the first day that flags are supposed to be at half-staff & watch him go crazy !

Old 04-22-2014, 05:38 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,621,027 times
Write the president that this person has written you...copy to him. Write that you will put up four flags at least so as to satisfy people looking at the flag from the four directions. Ask if she feels it would be a good idea to add any more for those looking at it from corners in between the four directions. Thank the person for pointing out this need and hope that all homeowners will abide.

I think she'll come around.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:40 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Why did you call the HOA Gestapo? He is not on the board. It was not a violation letter from the HOA.

There is a proper way to display a flag.
I agree. Not an HOA issue so why label it such?

Old 04-22-2014, 06:48 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Switch it out for a Jolly Roger flag. Next time you're confronted about the flag, just say "Arrr, take yer rules and walk the plank, scalawag!"

And I agree with the posts above that this is not an HOA issue. HOA's get a bad rap on C-D. Moving into an HOA neighborhood is a choice. There are plenty of places to live that don't have them.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:52 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Ha ! Got home today and found 9 pages of color-printed diatribe relative to my American flag on a small metal pole in my garden area, not facing the street in the proper position according to military protocol. Not mailed, just put in my paper box. Signed by the husband of the President of the HOA (he's not on the Board or any committee whatsoever). Cover letter addressed only to me stating how the flag is erroneously placed. Then 8 pages of "code" with photos from some military website. He signs the letter with the abbreviation of his former rank in the US Army and so forth. There are no rules in the subdivision at all about mini flags etc.

Nuts or normal? Pain in the fanny? too much time on his hands? Dementia?

I would pretty much round file that notice. He has absolutely no authority to send you any notices. The notices come from the PMC from direction of the HOA board.
Whatever way he sounds like a pretentious wind bag signing correspondence with prior held military rank. And what prior military complains about a flag. Hell we put up the American flags here all the time. And we are a HOA

Old 04-22-2014, 08:26 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
I worked for a major government contractor at their headquarters. And while I was not responsible for the flag placement, I became very familiar with it. Many, many ex-military thought we were doing it wrong, and often times complained. I ended up making copies of the code and handing to anyone who complained.

To the OP: Ignore the meddlesome "patriot".

Old 04-22-2014, 08:56 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
I am going to ignore him, that is the worst for him, best for me. Thanks for the replies, but many of you are taking this much too seriously. Loved the skull and crossbones ... but I won't stoop to the level of responding to this sorry fool, the self appointed Flag Police.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:50 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,103 times
I would call the local news station. ESPECIALLY in patriot-country NC! Hating the flag? Insinuating that the HOA disapproves? Numerous court cases and the supreme court (as someone stated above) have said this is a right. You would make the top story! Veteran under attack! Maybe even a big time news outfit would pick it up. I'd definitely send it up the flag pole and watch it wave in his face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate