Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 07:03 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'll disagree with this. His wife is the president of the board. The wingnut apparently thinks that - and his rank when he was in the military - carries some weight. That is one of the tactics of a bully.
Which is precisely why I suggested sending the HOA Board a letter. It puts the wing-nut on full display in front of HER Cronies, and makes him look like an A$$ to any sensible person (assuming there are any sensible people on the HOA Board).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 07:05 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
Yet, you call me hostile. What did I make up? I didn't write the subject or the post. I can only answer based on what information is provided.

And your responses are reasonable MJ; appreciate your posts which reflect clear thinking and are accurate. Reps 4 U.

One more thing before I sign off:

~ The End ~

Old 04-24-2014, 01:01 AM

3,766 posts, read 4,103,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Which is precisely why I suggested sending the HOA Board a letter. It puts the wing-nut on full display in front of HER Cronies, and makes him look like an A$$ to any sensible person (assuming there are any sensible people on the HOA Board).

After you write them a letter, you should hang the Russian flag just to get on everyone's nerves.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
After you write them a letter, you should hang the Russian flag just to get on everyone's nerves.

As much as I would like to react, I'm not going to do either. No reaction will bother him more than anything else.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:30 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
As much as I would like to react, I'm not going to do either. No reaction will bother him more than anything else.
This guy is a veteran, has fought for our country and the right to display the flag, gives you protocol on how display the American Flag in your yard and you can't take five seconds to at least understand his opinion on you incorrectly displaying the flag?

Instead you make fun of him?

Old 04-24-2014, 10:18 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Default Hey, My HOA had a Plant Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
I read the title of your thread thinking about how happy I was to get out of the condo I had with an HOA. We had a Plant Nazi, who would come around and harass people for what was planted around their condos. Most of which, had been planted well before the current owner ever moved in!

When I put that puppy up for sale, I put a thick layer of decorative bark around the plantings in the front of my condo. Our condos were separate buildings with 4 units each. The #1 unit was basically a little cottage stuck onto the front of the building, #2 & #3 were on either side (2 story units) and #4 was upstairs in the back over the carport. Mine was the #1 unit, which had a little yard area in front, though not fenced in.

I left my condo one morning to bust the Plant Nazi removing the decorative bark into a big bucket. I asked her what the hell she was doing? She said the bark is too thick, and could cause stem rot on the plants (shrubs with hefty stems - puleez). I said what do you plan on doing with that decorative bark I paid good money for? She said, uh uh, dispose of it... (Yeah, into your front yard?). I told her to put it into another bed in front of my condo right now!

She actually banged on my door one time to "talk" to me about my plants. I ignored her. Then she actually climbed into the shrubs under the front windows and peered into my living room hollering "I know you're in there!" Completely insane.

HOA's are not run by professionals. They are "run" by any homeowner who wants to be on the board, and usually they can get on the board, because most people don't want to BE on the board. So, you get these control freaks who don't know the laws or what they're doing. And they are in charge of a huge budget, and usually have no financial education/experience whatesoever on how to manage a huge budget. And these people can destroy your investment.

If I could ever afford to buy a place again, it would NEVER have an HOA. Never, ever ever again.

So, OP, I feel for you. Yes, this guy thinks he's some kind of important figure in your little pond. And you're right, that completely ignoring him will drive him the most crazy.

How much you want to bet "the display of flags" will end up on an upcoming agenda? If it does, make sure you and all your neighbors go create havoc at that meeting, or those Nazi Gestappos will create a new rule against your will.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:34 AM

438 posts, read 653,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Swap out the USA flag for a UN flag and watch him go berserk.
Or perhaps

I'm loving this. Please do it!

Old 04-24-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I read the title of your thread thinking about how happy I was to get out of the condo I had with an HOA. We had a Plant Nazi, who would come around and harass people for what was planted around their condos. Most of which, had been planted well before the current owner ever moved in!

When I put that puppy up for sale, I put a thick layer of decorative bark around the plantings in the front of my condo. Our condos were separate buildings with 4 units each. The #1 unit was basically a little cottage stuck onto the front of the building, #2 & #3 were on either side (2 story units) and #4 was upstairs in the back over the carport. Mine was the #1 unit, which had a little yard area in front, though not fenced in.

I left my condo one morning to bust the Plant Nazi removing the decorative bark into a big bucket. I asked her what the hell she was doing? She said the bark is too thick, and could cause stem rot on the plants (shrubs with hefty stems - puleez). I said what do you plan on doing with that decorative bark I paid good money for? She said, uh uh, dispose of it... (Yeah, into your front yard?). I told her to put it into another bed in front of my condo right now!

She actually banged on my door one time to "talk" to me about my plants. I ignored her. Then she actually climbed into the shrubs under the front windows and peered into my living room hollering "I know you're in there!" Completely insane.

HOA's are not run by professionals. They are "run" by any homeowner who wants to be on the board, and usually they can get on the board, because most people don't want to BE on the board. So, you get these control freaks who don't know the laws or what they're doing. And they are in charge of a huge budget, and usually have no financial education/experience whatesoever on how to manage a huge budget. And these people can destroy your investment.

If I could ever afford to buy a place again, it would NEVER have an HOA. Never, ever ever again.

So, OP, I feel for you. Yes, this guy thinks he's some kind of important figure in your little pond. And you're right, that completely ignoring him will drive him the most crazy.

How much you want to bet "the display of flags" will end up on an upcoming agenda? If it does, make sure you and all your neighbors go create havoc at that meeting, or those Nazi Gestappos will create a new rule against your will.

It probably won't get far on any agenda, his wife is El Presidente on the Board ... for now, and she tells him what to do to keep it out of her hair. And the paragraph of yours above that I highlighted in red is 100% accurate. I've had two other homes in an HOA, and never had any issues; they were well managed with reasonable people, no personality or one upmanship ever. The best one was in FL and even though there is a Board, they have an excellent property management company and their rep attended all the meetings. No animosity, no hypocrisy, it was great.

Thanks for your well reasoned post.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:54 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,286,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
What???! Oh my gosh, I sincerely hope that my HOA comprises sane people!

Old 04-24-2014, 12:59 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
What???! Oh my gosh, I sincerely hope that my HOA comprises sane people!
Type in "HOA" in the search box and read about what various people are dealing with relative to their HOAs. Of course, the happy homeowners aren't likely to post so keep that in mind. Some of it is downright scary. My HOA manager is just ineffective, but hasn't shown herself to be mentally unstable. Knock on wood. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate