Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 09:54 PM

119 posts, read 300,288 times

Advertisements

I had an inspection done on a property and the non-bedroom areas don't have AFCI outlets. Would this have to be rectified for FHA loan approval?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 10:34 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,319,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowkitty27 View Post
I had an inspection done on a property and the non-bedroom areas don't have AFCI outlets. Would this have to be rectified for FHA loan approval?
GFCI?

Maybe. Strange answer, I know. If the Inspection comes into play with the lender and they see that, probably. If it does not, and the actual Appraisal does not note it, verbally or with pics, then not.

But don't you kinda want those? They're not that expensive and could be installed easily.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:43 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Are the arc faults required by local codes in the areas where the inspector said there were none?

Old 04-24-2014, 11:04 AM

231 posts, read 381,815 times
In Southern California, GFCI outlets are only required within 6' of a water source. So even in the dining room, I didn't have to have any.

But they are cheap and easy to install.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:41 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Quote:

AFCI is a new code requirement. Not all cities are doing it. Fountain Valley requires it as of 2014. I didn't think you can require them on existing houses. At least not yet. The most the seller may have to do is add GFCI but unless the house is REALLY old GFCIs gave been installed since the early 70s. I rarely do residential anymore unless its a friend or friend of a friend needing help.
AFCI-ARC FAULT CIRCUIT INTERRUPT
GFCI-GROUND FAULT CIRCUIT INTERRUPT.
AFCI cannot share a neutral wire. Lots of older homes have circuits sharing a neutral. In that case you will add a AFCI receptacle at the beginning/first receptacle of each leg of the split circuits. Technically you're adding a breaker in a Y split. Hope this makes sense. AFCI is available in both breakers and receptacles.
Receptacles run 30 bucks and breakers 45-55 or more bucks depending on rating. Houses typically use 15 and 20 amp.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:06 PM

480 posts, read 1,183,263 times
Quote:
No, you do NOT have to have this rectified.

Note: Home inspection reports do not go to FHA.

Source: FHA Q&A to Appraisers, May 22nd, 2013 (this is a clarification for users of HUD 4150.2)

Q: Are GFI’s required? Are electric outlets required in bathrooms? What about improperly wired 3-prong outlets?

A: FHA does not require GFI’s or bathroom outlets on existing construction. If it appears that the property has improper wiring, the appraiser should describe the issue (photos recommended), and complete the appraisal subject to a satisfactory electrical inspection.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:17 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,319,394 times
Please let us know how things turn out.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:19 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,288,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
AFCI is a new code requirement. Not all cities are doing it. Fountain Valley requires it as of 2014. I didn't think you can require them on existing houses. At least not yet. The most the seller may have to do is add GFCI but unless the house is REALLY old GFCIs gave been installed since the early 70s. I rarely do residential anymore unless its a friend or friend of a friend needing help.
AFCI-ARC FAULT CIRCUIT INTERRUPT
GFCI-GROUND FAULT CIRCUIT INTERRUPT.
AFCI cannot share a neutral wire. Lots of older homes have circuits sharing a neutral. In that case you will add a AFCI receptacle at the beginning/first receptacle of each leg of the split circuits. Technically you're adding a breaker in a Y split. Hope this makes sense. AFCI is available in both breakers and receptacles.
Receptacles run 30 bucks and breakers 45-55 or more bucks depending on rating. Houses typically use 15 and 20 amp.
Thank you for this post. What is the purpose of the afci?

Old 04-24-2014, 09:30 PM

119 posts, read 300,288 times
Ok thanks yall. The house has a few GFCI outlets where previously required in bathrooms and such. The neutrals wires in the box had two secured by one screw and I've asked for that to be fixed. My inspector said the appraiser more than likely won't make a big deal of it BUT one could. How much would that cost to fix? It's a 2300 sqft house if that helps.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:36 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Thank you for this post. What is the purpose of the afci?

Old wiring in houses can fray or a rodent eats the jacket/insulation or someone uses a old lamp with frayed cord the nuts behind the outlets gets loose or the terminals loosen up at the receptacle etc and then the wiring can cause sparks/arc internally and possibly ignite a fire. It's designed to sense a arc and trip. It works on a little different principle than a GFCI. The receptacles look similar. Usually GFCI has a black and red button for testing AFCI is white buttons.
One of the leading causes of fires in homes is from bad or loose wiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate