U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many square feet is considered a big house?
1500+ square feet 5 3.40%
2000+ square feet 20 13.61%
3000+ square feet 68 46.26%
4000+ square feet 31 21.09%
5000+ square feet 10 6.80%
6000+ square feet 9 6.12%
The person who set these poll choices doesn't even know what big is! 4 2.72%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 08:02 PM

392 posts, read 838,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
I put the land space in consideration when determining what's big. Put 3000 sq/ft on less than .25 acres. Small house to me cause you are just cramped into a big box. Look out the window and it's your neighbor.

I like a proportion between house sq/ft and land. When the land is small, 2000sq/ft may be too big.

Just my .02
thats a good point, especially for a SF home.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 10:02 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,226,010 times
I think it all depends on the floor plan, for the most part. I once lived in a house that was about 3000 ft.², and it was more livable than the house I'm in now, which is about 5000 ft.². Much above that, and I think it gets silly. The neighbor's house is 13,000 ft.², and I'm not sure what they do with all that room.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:09 PM

11,154 posts, read 12,509,796 times
I agree with those who have said it is a combination of floor plan and square feet. My last home in California was a very smartly designed 1213 square feet. The bedrooms were pretty small, but we spent most of our time in the common areas anyway, so that wasn't a problem. When we moved to Virginia we moved into a town home that had over 2100 square feet. The layout was a disaster and we could actually use less of our furniture there than in our 1200 square foot home in California.

Now we live in a home that has just under 5500 square feet including the basement. The main floor and upstairs combine for 3511 and the basement is an additional 1958, about 1050 of which is finished with the rest being used for storage space and an inside work shop. The house is a colonial style and as such has the usual small rooms in the front. But it really opens up once you get past the entryway.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:52 PM

186 posts, read 371,291 times
In my most recent house hunt I was finding anything over 2,000 sq ft house to be too big for me, but anything over 3,000 to be way too much. That said, I looked at a few 2,200 ish homes that seemed so cramped and had a lot of wasted space. I settled on a 1,800 sq ft home with lots of great flow and it seems larger to me than some of the others that were massive in square footage.

It does annoy me that people are so fixated on square footage. I'd rather have a well-designed, smaller square footage house with LOTS of land and LOTS of space around the outside of the house as opposed to the inside of the house.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:22 PM

2,288 posts, read 2,917,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrscandles View Post
We currently live in a two-story that is about 1440 sq ft. We have three kids, two dogs and two cats. We aren't comfortable here, only because it's only a 2-bed, 1-bath (only had two of the kids when we bought, and they were babies. It was to be our starter home, moving before they started school. It's been 11 1/2 years...) We are leaving tomorrow for our new home, a one story, 3-bed (plus a study we will use as a 4th bedroom), 2-bath home at 1480 sq ft, and I can't wait! Everyone will have their own space, but with a nice open floor plan for the main area of the house for us still all to be together. It's the perfect amount of space for us, and not too big to be a pain for me to clean! :-) For us, anything over 3k would be way too much. 2k would be big, but not terribly big.

Carr just proved its more about the layout than size. Only gaining 40 sq ft, but she's thrilled with the size and how much bigger it seems. Congrats Carr, I'm so happy for you and your family. I wish I hadn't gotten a two story, but couldn't pass up the good deal. Single stories almost always seem bigger. Not that size is the problem here for me, its too big, I just hate stairs. lol

Old 04-29-2014, 04:55 PM

11,154 posts, read 12,509,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephil View Post

It does annoy me that people are so fixated on square footage. I'd rather have a well-designed, smaller square footage house with LOTS of land and LOTS of space around the outside of the house as opposed to the inside of the house.
Why would it annoy you? People have their preferences. And it's not always an obsession. For us it was less about square feet and more about finding the right house at the right time in the right location. I certainly did not set out to buy a house as big as the one I have, but as my search progressed, this is the house that was the best buy for the price range I was in. I am in the military and am looking at a PCS next year. My wife and I have agreed the right house for us in our next location is very likely going to between 1600-1800 square feet. For that specific location a house of that size would suit us well.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:00 PM

40 posts, read 168,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
I put the land space in consideration when determining what's big. Put 3000 sq/ft on less than .25 acres. Small house to me cause you are just cramped into a big box. Look out the window and it's your neighbor.

I like a proportion between house sq/ft and land. When the land is small, 2000sq/ft may be too big.

Just my .02
There is nothing I hate more than the modern construction trend of putting 3000 sq ft homes on 8000 sq foot lots (or 2500 sq ft on a 5000 sq ft lot). Not to mention that these days you typically have to go far outside of the city to get a new home on an 8000 sq foot lot. If you aren't willing to commute you either buy a smaller house or forgo a yard.

I have a 1430 sq ft 60's ranch that I bought because of the house/land proportion. It's a 8000 sq ft lot which feels just right (far enough from the street to have privacy in the front and enough space in the back for spending time outdoors.) Of course I'm only one person and if I had others living here I'd probably want another 400 square feet. Heck I'd like more square footage anyway since my master bedroom is only 11x13 and the master bath is only 9x4. The 9x4 is just painful and there's no way to expand it without losing bedroom space.

I think my need for space may be the way I grew up. We were a family of 5 and the smallest house I can remember living in was 2400 sq ft on 3/4 of an acre. Clearly having a decent sized yard (IMO .15 acre MINIMUM) isn't a factor for a lot of people or no new construction would sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate