Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 10:45 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,380,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Even more difficult to understand on those shows is the buyers who reject an excellent house because of the paint color, buy a house not as nice but with neutral paint, and then, immediately upon moving in, repaint all the walls to a new color.

What the heck? If you are going to repaint, anyway, why not buy the better house with the wall colors that you don't like?

That and everybody has to sit on the bed to test it out. Hello? You aren't getting the bed with the house. Why do you care how firm the mattress is?
I know! I it makes no sense to me. I guess some people are just really bad at envisioning things. My husband is terrible at imagining how things will look or fit into our house unless he can see it for himself or I can somehow mock it up for him. More often than not, I just say, "Trust me, honey, it'll work."

I don't get the bed thing, sitting on chairs and sofas, or opening dresser drawers, either. Kitchen drawers, pantry and closet doors, sure, but the rest of it ain't coming with the house so no touchie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 02:24 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
That and everybody has to sit on the bed to test it out. Hello? You aren't getting the bed with the house. Why do you care how firm the mattress is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
I don't get the bed thing, sitting on chairs and sofas, or opening dresser drawers, either. Kitchen drawers, pantry and closet doors, sure, but the rest of it ain't coming with the house so no touchie!
I'm okay with folks sitting for a spell, imagining what it would be like to live in the house. But for the life of me can't figure out what's to be gained by testing out the beds.

We sold a house with down comforters under the spreads. The beds were puffy when we left for a showing. When we came back, often as not there were imprints of where people had flopped down on them.

Finally, one time we came home and found that someone had turned our computers on. We called the agent and said enough. No flopping on the beds. No turning the computers on. No rummaging through our drawers. The agents blamed this on families coming through with unsupervised children.

There was a C-D thread not too long ago where security cameras caught the real estate agent swiping clothes. Good grief.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
I know! I it makes no sense to me. I guess some people are just really bad at envisioning things. My husband is terrible at imagining how things will look or fit into our house unless he can see it for himself or I can somehow mock it up for him. More often than not, I just say, "Trust me, honey, it'll work."
DH is the same. However, as long as he can imagine where his La-Z-Boy will sit and will it be pointed at a decent size TV, he's good to go.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:03 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
I can tell you big turn offs for me - as a woman - are décor aspects that cannot be easily changed.

Sinks, toilets, tubs and tile colors. Bathroom sinks & toilets should be white. If they are colored than you have to decorate within that color range. My MIL had a brown bathroom - brown sink, toilet and tub. It was dreadful. Tile can be changed with time and expense but I would rather not. A neutral tile appeals.
Same here and what I don't get is all the brown marble pattern large scale tile in nearly every bathroom upgrade I see. Brown = everyone's favorite bathroom activity to me. White, gray, black and grayish blues are what appeals most to me in a bathroom.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:51 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
I don't get all the "Its hard to imagine" crap...

You look at a house, it is empty, you know you have a couch, and a TV, you know you have a chair...you mean a "potential buyer" really has not a clue of where it could possible go, or even have a brain to figure it out?

A dining room, you have a dining room table and chairs, a breakfront....you mean a potential buyer doesn't realize the dining room table usually goes directly under the chandelier, and the breakfront goes on the biggers wall in the dining room.

then there are the bedroom.

you see the empty bedroom, you know you have a queen size bed, 2 nighttable, a triple dresser and armoire, you mean you can't really think that the bed goes on this wall, my dresser would go here and the armoire would go here??? is it that difficult??

HGTV has really made potential buyers seem like a bunch of morons that have to have everything spelled out for them.

Like in a kitchen, there is usually only one place to put the table and 4 chairs.

staging, staging, sorry, I don't believe in it, we never had it before, I dont believe it sells homes faster...sorry, dont buy it. i think it is a money making scam.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:51 PM

836 posts, read 1,662,062 times
A Big turnoff for me (male) was a homes so full of crud/possessions it made me think owner wasn't serious about moving.

I don't want to waste my time and money on Sellers playing games so they should really get rid of stuff or start boxing like they're moving.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I don't get all the "Its hard to imagine" crap...

You look at a house, it is empty, you know you have a couch, and a TV, you know you have a chair...you mean a "potential buyer" really has not a clue of where it could possible go, or even have a brain to figure it out?

A dining room, you have a dining room table and chairs, a breakfront....you mean a potential buyer doesn't realize the dining room table usually goes directly under the chandelier, and the breakfront goes on the biggers wall in the dining room.

then there are the bedroom.

you see the empty bedroom, you know you have a queen size bed, 2 nighttable, a triple dresser and armoire, you mean you can't really think that the bed goes on this wall, my dresser would go here and the armoire would go here??? is it that difficult??

HGTV has really made potential buyers seem like a bunch of morons that have to have everything spelled out for them.

Like in a kitchen, there is usually only one place to put the table and 4 chairs.

staging, staging, sorry, I don't believe in it, we never had it before, I dont believe it sells homes faster...sorry, dont buy it. i think it is a money making scam.
Just saw a segment on ABC news tonight in which the property brothers did $13,000 worth of painting, replacing floors/countertops, and staging. This house had been sitting on the market for months without any offers.

After the update, they got 4 offers in less than a week. I believe they sold for $30,000 over their original asking price.

Apparently, previous buyers could not imagine how it would look with $13,000 worth of updates.

It's not just a matter of where the bed goes, it's imagining how the whole room could look.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:15 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,737,232 times
So have we decided no urinal?

Old 05-05-2014, 08:55 PM

299 posts, read 557,018 times
Default It's not always just lack of imagination ....

When you buy a house, you're getting it all rolled into that 30 year loan of regular monthly payments.
That $13,000 of replacing floors, painting, etc. is stuff the buyer may be in no financial position to undertake, if he/she has to pay for all of it on credit cards or checks written to contractors at the time of the work completion.

Sure, you can argue they paid $30K for $13K worth of upgrades ... but look how much someone is already willing to pay in interest payments, alone, just to buy a house that they don't have the means to purchase with cash. Then factor in the fact that these values are pretty tough for someone to accurately estimate. (Do you know with just a glance how much it would cost to put down a particular color and type of bamboo flooring in a room of roughly X square feet? Unless you're in the business, probably not.) People just want to buy a place that's move-in ready with a look to everything that they're satisfied with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Just saw a segment on ABC news tonight in which the property brothers did $13,000 worth of painting, replacing floors/countertops, and staging. This house had been sitting on the market for months without any offers.

After the update, they got 4 offers in less than a week. I believe they sold for $30,000 over their original asking price.

Apparently, previous buyers could not imagine how it would look with $13,000 worth of updates.

It's not just a matter of where the bed goes, it's imagining how the whole room could look.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw71 View Post
When you buy a house, you're getting it all rolled into that 30 year loan of regular monthly payments.
That $13,000 of replacing floors, painting, etc. is stuff the buyer may be in no financial position to undertake, if he/she has to pay for all of it on credit cards or checks written to contractors at the time of the work completion.

Sure, you can argue they paid $30K for $13K worth of upgrades ... but look how much someone is already willing to pay in interest payments, alone, just to buy a house that they don't have the means to purchase with cash. Then factor in the fact that these values are pretty tough for someone to accurately estimate. (Do you know with just a glance how much it would cost to put down a particular color and type of bamboo flooring in a room of roughly X square feet? Unless you're in the business, probably not.) People just want to buy a place that's move-in ready with a look to everything that they're satisfied with.
Now it could be that not a single person who walked through that house in all those months had enough left in the bank or on their credit card to paint, or put down a new floor in the living room.

Maybe every person who walked through could imagine all the changes the Property Brothers could and they just decided they couldn't afford to do it, it was too much hassle, whatever.

The house was on the market for months without a single offer - zip, nada.

With staging it got 4 offers within a week and sold for $30,000 over the original asking price.

To me it says that buyers are willing to pay a premium for a well-staged home.

Now, you may not believe in staging, may think it makes no difference in how fast a house sells, that it is an HGTV/money making scam, but plenty of people swear by it, including real estate agents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate