Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 07:45 AM

18,458 posts, read 31,604,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Now it could be that not a single person who walked through that house in all those months had enough left in the bank or on their credit card to paint, or put down a new floor in the living room.

Maybe every person who walked through could imagine all the changes the Property Brothers could and they just decided they couldn't afford to do it, it was too much hassle, whatever.

The house was on the market for months without a single offer - zip, nada.

With staging it got 4 offers within a week and sold for $30,000 over the original asking price.

To me it says that buyers are willing to pay a premium for a well-staged home.

Now, you may not believe in staging, may think it makes no difference in how fast a house sells, that it is an HGTV/money making scam, but plenty of people swear by it, including real estate agents.

I still don't buy it.

I believe people are being fooled because the house is decorated pretty?

Could the same house be staged pretty, or the same house be lived in by hoarders, either way the house will be delivered empty, so either way nothing is staying. So who cares how it is decorated.

besides, even if the cleanest person sells a home, it still has to be re painted, they will take pictures off the walls and leave holes, there will always be that line across the wall where the couch is....etc

besides i would rather pick out my own finishes, not what "property brothers" taste is.
I also would rather spend 13K on my choices than pay 30K in thiers

PS: if the new buyers dont have enough money to do painting and some changes they then really cannot afford the house in the first place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 08:23 AM

32,626 posts, read 47,939,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw71 View Post
...............That $13,000 of replacing floors, painting, etc. is stuff the buyer may be in no financial position to undertake,.................they paid $30K for $13K worth of upgrades ... People just want to buy a place that's move-in ready with a look to everything that they're satisfied with.
I'm not going to argue about the move-in ready part. That's what today's buyers want. They want turn key properties.

However, on the cost issue: If you pay $30,000 more for the same house, you must come up with $6,000 more in down payment money. All the fees to close, including the title insurance cost just a bit more. Property taxes are probably going to be higher for the life of the property.

That $6,000 difference in down payment will cover a lot of cosmetic improvements.

Unless the roof or foundation are bad, or the plumbing and wiring need to be replaced, there is very little that must be done on a house immediately. The majority of buyers can not afford a total remodel at purchase time. The buyer scrubs the house clean and maybe paints a few rooms and then moves in and the redecorating becomes an on-going project.

Structural problems are not really in the home owner's area of expertise. So, I recommend that home buyers stay away from structural issues. Even I pass on houses with structural issues. There are too many possibilities for bad surprises when you open a wall. But things like paint and carpet are easy to replace and for the majority of "fixer" houses, just doing paint and carpet is enough to make them attractive.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:29 AM

13,397 posts, read 28,706,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Just saw a segment on ABC news tonight in which the property brothers did $13,000 worth of painting, replacing floors/countertops, and staging. This house had been sitting on the market for months without any offers.

After the update, they got 4 offers in less than a week. I believe they sold for $30,000 over their original asking price.

Apparently, previous buyers could not imagine how it would look with $13,000 worth of updates.

It's not just a matter of where the bed goes, it's imagining how the whole room could look.
This and HGTV is what seller's nightmares are made of. If the house is clean, maintained I don't need phony staging to tell me where to put the kitchen table.

Those shows are totally unrealistic, it's drama for entertainment, but here we have the public thinking this is gospel..sheeesh

Old 05-06-2014, 09:28 AM

18,458 posts, read 31,604,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
This and HGTV is what seller's nightmares are made of. If the house is clean, maintained .I don't need phony staging to tell me where to put the kitchen table

Those shows are totally unrealistic, it's drama for entertainment, but here we have the public thinking this is gospel..sheeesh

Thank you, i am glad someone else understand what I mean.

think about it, a kitchen usually only has one place for the table and chairs, does one really need this to be spelled out.

and dont get me started on the seller paying the closing costs, thats another HGTV thing.
To me this is BS, your buying the house, you pay the closing costs, why should the seller have to pay them.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:37 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,306,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
There was a house so "modern bachelor" that it would have taken hundreds of thousands to facelift.

No stager could have fixed that.

Too bad. We liked the home and outside and area.
Interesting term, "modern bachelor."

I'm not ready to buy again yet but when I do I want a condo in Phoenix. So I've been educating myself to the market. One building I had my eye on had four almost-identical apartments for sale in it three months ago. They have all been sold except one.

It's in a very masculine style. The bathroom is filled with dark brown tile. In the photos, even the towels and shower curtain are dark brown. The kitchen has dark wood cabinets, black appliances, the biggest island of the four apartments (with bar stools, of course). Even the floors are dark wood (a problematic choice in very dusty Phoenix). The walls are tan. The price has been reduced twice; certainly enough to pay for the remodeling that would need to be done if someone wanted "light and bright." But it still sits on the market.

The other three all sold for higher prices. I guess "man cave" isn't a thing in the Phoenix condo market.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:51 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,317,263 times
As a man I look at efficiency, electrical, plumbing, security and then the garage. The garage must be large enough for 2 cars and a work area and no center post. If the house doesn't meet these requirements I look else where.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:18 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,060,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskelly View Post
A Big turnoff for me (male) was a homes so full of crud/possessions it made me think owner wasn't serious about moving.

I don't want to waste my time and money on Sellers playing games so they should really get rid of stuff or start boxing like they're moving.
Yep! Before we put our house up for sale, 95% of the 'stuff' was packed in boxes, sitting in the garage waiting to be loaded on a moving truck. Nothing says 'I'm sure about moving' like a stack of boxes.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:29 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,060,993 times
I think one aspect that is important in 'staging' is spatial comparison.

You walk in a bedroom and you know what furniture you own. You see their furniture and think 'yes my bed and dresser will fit in here' without having to know the dimensions of your stuff and take a tape measurer with you to an empty house and figure out if it'll fit.

I have no sense of space and dimension. It's just not me. My hubby can look at something and know if it'll fit in the trunk of our car without measuring or trying it - I can't.

It's harder to sell an empty house because of this. And if you already moved on with your own stuff, just a small bit of staging will help buyers decide if the house works for them.

Square foot figures only tell you so much.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:32 PM

51,642 posts, read 25,774,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Interesting term, "modern bachelor."

I'm not ready to buy again yet but when I do I want a condo in Phoenix. So I've been educating myself to the market. One building I had my eye on had four almost-identical apartments for sale in it three months ago. They have all been sold except one.

It's in a very masculine style. The bathroom is filled with dark brown tile. In the photos, even the towels and shower curtain are dark brown. The kitchen has dark wood cabinets, black appliances, the biggest island of the four apartments (with bar stools, of course). Even the floors are dark wood (a problematic choice in very dusty Phoenix). The walls are tan. The price has been reduced twice; certainly enough to pay for the remodeling that would need to be done if someone wanted "light and bright." But it still sits on the market.

The other three all sold for higher prices. I guess "man cave" isn't a thing in the Phoenix condo market.
That is just hard to figure out. I thought that staging business was all HGTV hype.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:26 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,634,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

PS: if the new buyers dont have enough money to do painting and some changes they then really cannot afford the house in the first place
Excellent point and I had come to a similar conclusion in hindsight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate