Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 02:04 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,897,080 times

Advertisements

Hi there

I may be moving across Canada from Ontario to Alberta for work here shortly. I have cash on hand to buy myself a condo outright as I sold my old place. In the past I have always used an agent. I have my eyes on couple places that I can afford out right. Could I go directly to the sales center? and if I like it buy it? or should I use an agent?

if I didn't have an agent, how would the steps vary? I have never not used an agent before.

Can someone explain this to me what to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 02:33 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
> Could I go directly to the sales center?

If you were in the US then you would be talking about buying a condo from the builder. They would be happy to sell to you directly. An inexperienced buyer in the US might not know enough about the process to avoid some of the pitfalls and therefore might benefit from having an agent.

Maybe someone from Canada will have a more informed opinion about how things are done up there.

In the US buying into a partially built condo development has some liabilities.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
> Could I go directly to the sales center?

If you were in the US then you would be talking about buying a condo from the builder. They would be happy to sell to you directly. An inexperienced buyer in the US might not know enough about the process to avoid some of the pitfalls and therefore might benefit from having an agent.

Maybe someone from Canada will have a more informed opinion about how things are done up there.

In the US buying into a partially built condo development has some liabilities.
the condos are finished and some are called quick possessions, what is that exactly?

Old 05-02-2014, 02:54 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
the condos are finished and some are called quick possessions, what is that exactly?
The sales center or developer can probably tell you that. On the other hand, that's exactly the type of question your realtor can answer for you. I've tried to do one purchase without a realtor in my life and it was a disaster.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The sales center or developer can probably tell you that. On the other hand, that's exactly the type of question your realtor can answer for you. I've tried to do one purchase without a realtor in my life and it was a disaster.

How so?

Old 05-02-2014, 03:15 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
You can, of course, go directly to the Sales Center (assuming there is one in a newer development). You might ask them if they will reduce the price by 2-3% if you go direct and do not use your own Realtor. However, because the seller pays the commission to BOTH Realtors, you will probably only increase the commission of the selling Realtor - by NOT having your own Realtor -- plus makes things more complicated than necessary.

Since you are coming from Canada to a new area, it would seem like a local Realtor would offer you a multitude of important advantages. (They can advise on local markets, values, inspections, appraisals, lenders, legal requirements, negotiation and closing assistance, etc.). Again, the Buyers Realtor is paid as part of the Selling Realtor's commission and is NOT something a Buyer pays separately. - Good luck!

Old 05-02-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
You can, of course, go directly to the Sales Center (assuming there is one in a newer development). You might ask them if they will reduce the price by 2-3% if you go direct and do not use your own Realtor. However, because the seller pays the commission to BOTH Realtors, you will probably only increase the commission of the selling Realtor - by NOT having your own Realtor -- plus makes things more complicated than necessary.

Since you are coming from Canada to a new area, it would seem like a local Realtor would offer you a multitude of important advantages. (They can advise on local markets, values, inspections, appraisals, lenders, legal requirements, negotiation and closing assistance, etc.). Again, the Buyers Realtor is paid as part of the Selling Realtor's commission and is NOT something a Buyer pays separately. - Good luck!
good info, but I am in Canada now and moving to another place in Canada.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
How so?
It involves a bad condo association in Florida that wouldn't approve the sale of the condo to me, and sellers who had a tangled relationship with us. It would have been good to have a realtor as an intermediary between all the groups. I don't think Condo Boards in Canada even have the approval/disapproval process.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:16 PM

47 posts, read 87,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
It involves a bad condo association in Florida that wouldn't approve the sale of the condo to me, and sellers who had a tangled relationship with us. It would have been good to have a realtor as an intermediary between all the groups. I don't think Condo Boards in Canada even have the approval/disapproval process.
Ah.. I remember that thread Glad things worked out for you

Old 05-04-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBirdAbuser View Post
Ah.. I remember that thread Glad things worked out for you
Actually things only worked out partially. I still was not able to buy the condo I wanted to buy.

And neither the buyer nor the sellers had real estate agents---throw in a nasty condo board -- and it was a triple mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate