Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 10:15 PM

101 posts, read 187,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by berniekosar19 View Post
Hahaha, I get ya; maybe bribe him with some beer?

I think if there's any way you can convert that 1/2 bath into a full bathroom, you'd probably see more traction. Other than that, if you have competition on the market, maybe you can go visit some of them with your husband, point out the differences (positive in their favor, negative in yours) and see if that doesn't convince him to drop the price?
Unfortunately, he's already moved to the new city, leaving me and the kids behind to finish out school and work and sell this %&*$ house. He did visit some open houses in new city today and was wowed by a few of them that are over our budget, so maybe he'll fall in love with something and be more motivated to sell our home here.

And did want to add that I love my husband and think he's a great guy in spite of his cheapness and abandoning his wife and daughters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Two showings in 17 days is horrible. This is the spring market, and you should be doing much better than that. Don't waste time. Just drop the price. I would expect about 15 showings in 17 days if your home is priced properly and it is a brand-new listing. This assumes of course that it has been exposed properly, using all the requisite Internet sites with excellent photography and effective descriptions. Don't overthink it. Nobody is coming. That is a problem. If it was November 15, I wouldn't be saying this. But it is the height of the Spring market. You don't have to drop the price 50%. But knock it down 2 or 3%, and see if the showings pick up. Price is a weapon - use it! Don't be afraid to tinker with it.
Thanks, Marc. That's exactly what I'm thinking. Should definitely have more showings by now if priced right. I do think it's been properly exposed (e.g. it was the first listing on Zillow when my zip code was entered for the first 10 days, and our agent's name popped up next to it).

Old 05-04-2014, 10:24 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaCola View Post
Thanks, Marc. That's exactly what I'm thinking. Should definitely have more showings by now if priced right. I do think it's been properly exposed (e.g. it was the first listing on Zillow when my zip code was entered for the first 10 days, and our agent's name popped up next to it).
A listing should always be thought of as a work in progress. Keep making little fixes. Keep cleaning things up. Keep planting flowers. Keep making improvements. Re-shoot photos that are not perfect. Try not to spend too much money. And feel free to play with the price. Hell, you can always raise it again if the crowds invade!

Old 05-04-2014, 10:30 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Let me clarify--I don't need convincing that we should drop the price; I need convincing arguments to bring my husband around.

Tell him that the showings are nonexistent and the longer your house sits the more you may lose. Nobody is knocking down the door to buy. There is a reason for that. It's either the house or the price. Or a combination

Old 05-04-2014, 11:31 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default It is always both...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Tell him that the showings are nonexistent and the longer your house sits the more you may lose. Nobody is knocking down the door to buy. There is a reason for that. It's either the house or the price. Or a combination
Nobody, not even investors, buys just on price. That said the converse is also true -- nobody will buy a house that is clearly mispriced. And to be sure "mispriced" means WAY out of the park, not just a couple percentage.

Further in my experience there is a HUGE local component to real estate. If things are red hot in New Jersey that does not mean they will be even luke warm five states away. Maybe the OP is not the only moving out of town, maybe the weather has been literally deadly -- Tornado Outbreak, Flooding Disaster Kills at Least 40: State-by-State Updates - weather.com Will This Girl Find Her Lost Dog?

Without data that shows what the current time on market statistics are like I would not change price...

Old 05-05-2014, 04:57 AM

Thanks, all, for the valuable input. I'll talk further with agent and hubby today to try to better gauge where we're at and where we should go from here.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:32 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Price is tricky in today's market b/c of a factor some folks (sellers and agents, as well!) don't consider . . . pricing it TOO LOW can also be a problem b/c buyers are computer driven as far as what houses they select to view. For example, some folks put in search criteria such as $200,000 to $225,000 and if your house is priced at $199,000, it won't be picked up! So pricing in the age of computer-driven buyers is tricky.

In any case, most buyers with children are going to put in criteria of 2 + baths, not 1.5 + baths. So that alone is going to weed out a lot of potential buyers.

You have to get imaginative when you are dealing with built-in "problems" with enticing potential buyers. In your particular case, you need to rely on AGENTS to put your house on a list of "to see" properties even if the buyers have selected other homes in your area to view (and shown no interest in yours). The Agent can say - "why not view this one while we are at it? Lots of nice features . . . "

So I personally would consider adding a BONUS to the selling Agent if the house is sold within xx days, usually 30 days. Have your Agent help you word that for the MLS listing. Make it a $2000 bonus direct to selling Agent.

Nothing gets clients in to view a home faster than an Agent with Dollar Signs in his/her eyes. Of course, Agents won't tell you that, lol. I have an inactive license -- haven't worked in the field in many years -- but Listing Agents would often give a "heads up" to their peers when a property came on the market with a nice bonus. It does generate traffic and traffic is what you need.

Perhaps you wouldn't even have to lower the price if you add a Bonus to the MLS criteria.

Just a thought.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:43 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:

We're relocating to another state and not desperate (financially) to sell, but...

Biggest appeal of our home is the neighborhood school
Biggest drawback is only 1.5 baths.
There's a good inventory of 3BR/2BA in our neighborhood right now...
Why did YOU choose this property vs the other choices you had then?
How was this property priced vs the other choices you had then?

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-07-2014 at 12:49 AM..

Old 05-05-2014, 07:24 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Price is tricky in today's market b/c of a factor some folks (sellers and agents, as well!) don't consider . . . pricing it TOO LOW can also be a problem b/c buyers are computer driven as far as what houses they select to view. For example, some folks put in search criteria such as $200,000 to $225,000 and if your house is priced at $199,000, it won't be picked up! So pricing in the age of computer-driven buyers is tricky.

In any case, most buyers with children are going to put in criteria of 2 + baths, not 1.5 + baths. So that alone is going to weed out a lot of potential buyers.

You have to get imaginative when you are dealing with built-in "problems" with enticing potential buyers. In your particular case, you need to rely on AGENTS to put your house on a list of "to see" properties even if the buyers have selected other homes in your area to view (and shown no interest in yours). The Agent can say - "why not view this one while we are at it? Lots of nice features . . . "

So I personally would consider adding a BONUS to the selling Agent if the house is sold within xx days, usually 30 days. Have your Agent help you word that for the MLS listing. Make it a $2000 bonus direct to selling Agent.

Nothing gets clients in to view a home faster than an Agent with Dollar Signs in his/her eyes. Of course, Agents won't tell you that, lol. I have an inactive license -- haven't worked in the field in many years -- but Listing Agents would often give a "heads up" to their peers when a property came on the market with a nice bonus. It does generate traffic and traffic is what you need.

Perhaps you wouldn't even have to lower the price if you add a Bonus to the MLS criteria.

Just a thought.
No bonuses. Not any more. It doesn't accomplish anything and relies on agents acting unethically. And agents no longer steer buyers, buyers now steer agents.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:31 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default Uh, no

Quote:
make the price concessions for the kitchen.
No.
Buyers want turnkey.
Make it so. Buy a new fridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate