Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 01:09 PM

134 posts, read 287,600 times

Advertisements

This may be a stupid question but I'll ask anyway.
Let's say you make an offer. And it seems too low to the seller. If they don't counter, once the offer expires, can you make a second offer that's higher?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 01:13 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,845,174 times
Of course you can! -- But, it would seem like the seller and his Realtor are 'asleep at the switch' or not serious about selling, if they do not at least respond to your offer... even if to say, 'sorry, but, the price is firm.'

Before countering, I would contact the Seller's Realtor and ask for the courtesy of a response.
(They might actually be considering your offer).

Old 03-06-2014, 01:17 PM

30,551 posts, read 16,247,641 times
good advice, except you don't contact the seller's realtor, have your realtor do it.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:20 PM

40,954 posts, read 49,228,814 times
We encourage all sellers to counter an offer they feel is too low.

Except when there are multiple offers, then you usually only get 1 shot at submitting your best.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:24 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,751,901 times
Just be aware that there are sellers who will refuse a second offer from you if they feel insulted by your first. We can talk all day about how stupid that might be but it doesn't change the fact that they are out there and they will respond that way.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:26 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,845,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
We encourage all sellers to counter an offer they feel is too low.

Except when there are multiple offers, then you usually only get 1 shot at submitting your best.
Actually, when there are multiple offers (a bidding situation), a request for a 'best and final offer' is frequently sent to all the bidders. This is only common sense and typically drives the offer prices up.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:52 PM

40,954 posts, read 49,228,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Actually, when there are multiple offers (a bidding situation), a request for a 'best and final offer' is frequently sent to all the bidders. This is only common sense and typically drives the offer prices up.
That's kind of what I meant by only 1 shot at multiple offers. Your best and final does not usually have further negotiations.

You said it better.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:39 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,654,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Just be aware that there are sellers who will refuse a second offer from you if they feel insulted by your first. We can talk all day about how stupid that might be but it doesn't change the fact that they are out there and they will respond that way.

I am in the process of selling. I would not be the least insulted to receive multiple offers from the same buyer.

I would do this as a buyer.

Business is business, why does everyone take everything so personally.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:35 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,751,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I am in the process of selling. I would not be the least insulted to receive multiple offers from the same buyer.

I would do this as a buyer.

Business is business, why does everyone take everything so personally.
Not sure what you are trying to achieve with this post. Are you just stating that you are not one of those who take things too personally (congratulations but I wasn't talking about you) or are you challenging my assertion that there are people who do? I'm not trying to pick a fight with you but I don't understand why you would respond directly to my comment by saying that it doesn't describe your personal opinion.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:05 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,876,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Yes, it could happen. Especially if the offer was for less than the loan payoff amount, AND the buyer wanted the seller to pay ALL closing costs. If I had accepted their offer, I would have had to pay $10,000 out of my pocket to sell the house. I did not even respond to their offers. Ended up selling it for full asking price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate