Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2014, 04:41 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times

Advertisements

This might be categorized as trivial by most of you, but I would really like the linked maps on websites such as zillow, trulia, etc. to have some sort of a scale line in the corner, so you could see how far properties are from other locations or amenities. Is there some reason why this is left off the maps? Is that stream 1 mile away or 1000 ft? What about that highway intersection? Zooming out, is that property 50 miles from where I want to work, or is it only 2 miles? For folks looking in their home town this would not really be needed, but for out of state buyers it would be quite helpful. What do others think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 05:02 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
This might be categorized as trivial by most of you, but I would really like the linked maps on websites such as zillow, trulia, etc. to have some sort of a scale line in the corner, so you could see how far properties are from other locations or amenities. Is there some reason why this is left off the maps? Is that stream 1 mile away or 1000 ft? What about that highway intersection? Zooming out, is that property 50 miles from where I want to work, or is it only 2 miles? For folks looking in their home town this would not really be needed, but for out of state buyers it would be quite helpful. What do others think?

I know what you means, but I'm thinking that with the almost infinite variety of zooming that is used, it would be problematic.

If I really get curious, I do a "birdseye" view with Bing maps -- it gives you an idea of scale better than a 2-D maps, sometimes.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:42 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
Yes, I thought of the zooming issue, but most of the zooming is done in steps. All this would need is an overlay of the scale picture at the corner of the frame that the user sees of the map. The scale would be linked to the zoom tool, and the 'hand' that moves the center of the map will be able to do so 'behind' the scale image.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:19 PM

494 posts, read 849,794 times
Just type the address into Walk Score. It gives you the distance to other amenities. It's another step, but I think very useful.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:43 PM

6,478 posts, read 10,347,099 times
Google Earth has a tool that allows you to draw a line on a map and gives you the distance between 2 points.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:42 AM

400 posts, read 793,562 times
I have an issue with this too. I remember when I learned about maps in 5th grade, we were told that a map always had to have a scale. It kills me when I see ones that don't.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:47 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Is a scale an extra cost in licensing fees for sites to use maps? Would pinching pennies by site owners be the reason that they are not available everywhere?

Our MLS Bing mapping shows scales, in aerial, hybrid, and Bird's Eye views, at all zoom levels.

But, my MapQuest solution on my IDX doesn't show scales.

Tangentially, oddly enough, our MLS has not been able to get the provider to enable rotation and zoom in Bird's Eye view. We get one static view. But when listings go out in emails to clients and customers, those functionalities are enabled.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:16 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Is a scale an extra cost in licensing fees for sites to use maps?
no

Quote:
Would pinching pennies by site owners be the reason that they are not available everywhere?
i doubt it, they likely just didn't request a scale bar.

it's possible that they're limited by the specific technology they are using, but i've never come across a mapping API that didn't have the option for a scale bar.

Quote:
Our MLS Bing mapping shows scales, in aerial, hybrid, and Bird's Eye views, at all zoom levels.

But, my MapQuest solution on my IDX doesn't show scales.

Tangentially, oddly enough, our MLS has not been able to get the provider to enable rotation and zoom in Bird's Eye view. We get one static view. But when listings go out in emails to clients and customers, those functionalities are enabled.
these web maps are easy to make; as a developer the difficult part is getting access to the underlying MLS data. the fragmentation and "exclusiveness" of the various regional MLS'es contributes to the poor mapping tools available for it.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:43 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,655,631 times
It's likely products that "cost money" have this scale feature. Google maps is free...... beggars cant be choosers.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:18 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
It's likely products that "cost money" have this scale feature.
you could assess the likelihood, based on your imagination

or just take the word of someone who develops with these APIs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate