Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 03:44 AM

102 posts, read 325,959 times

Advertisements

Why would the mortgage company for the people buying my house request a second appraisal? Should I be worried? Settlement is 2 weeks away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 07:36 AM

1,010 posts, read 4,911,665 times
Sometimes a lender will want a second appraisal if the home has already sold within a short time frame prior to this sale (i.e. fix & flip) or if the comps that the appraiser used seem out of line - either not close to your home or have extreme differences from your home. Is your home unusual or in a remote area? Do you know if there have been other sales in your area in the past 6 months? It could also be that the buyer has credit issues and they want a second appraisal just to ensure the value in case of default.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:44 AM

102 posts, read 325,959 times
I think it may be that the buyer has credit issues. We live in a blue collar neighborhood. Its a twin. I also think they don't have many comps to go by. The one that I know that they are using is down the street but its a different township, schools are better. It sold for less than ours but our house is updated wherein the comp house was all original plus no bath tub.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:49 AM

354 posts, read 1,217,952 times
Generally, it means the appraisal value was out of line-too high or low. Keep your fingers crossed that the second one comes close to the sales price.

If the lender ordered a new appraisal it would be real tight for the lender to advance funds for a closing in two weeks.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:10 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsMom View Post
Why would the mortgage company for the people buying my house request a second appraisal? Should I be worried? Settlement is 2 weeks away!
Call YOUR agent and have her find out for you. Its part of her job. ANYTIME you have questions or concerns, call your Agent. Worrying over needless issues is simply a waste of time.

Vicki

Old 12-11-2007, 11:44 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch123 View Post
Generally, it means the appraisal value was out of line-too high or low. Keep your fingers crossed that the second one comes close to the sales price.

If the lender ordered a new appraisal it would be real tight for the lender to advance funds for a closing in two weeks.
That's what I was thinking right off the bat. I've heard many, many horror stories of soon to be sellers upset because the 2nd appraisal was much lower than the 1st (understandably so)....

Stay in the loop w/your realtor on this...

Old 12-11-2007, 12:34 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,309,298 times
Quote:

I totally disagree with this statement. The appraisal usually comes near the end of the process. I've seen underwriters fund the loan 3 days after the appraisal was submitted and I would say that's the rule rather than the exception.

I can't imagine there is a state where this would be true, but it's possible.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:01 PM

354 posts, read 1,217,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
I totally disagree with this statement. The appraisal usually comes near the end of the process. I've seen underwriters fund the loan 3 days after the appraisal was submitted and I would say that's the rule rather than the exception.

I can't imagine there is a state where this would be true, but it's possible.
And I disagree with your statement. I think you are missing the point.

The second appraisal was just asked for by the lender. It takes about 10 days to get one if it is pushed thru. For all it's worth, the buyer might have not yet even contacted an appraiser for it. I know loans can be funded in 3 days but that would be only after the second appraisal is submitted.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:49 PM

1,065 posts, read 4,146,388 times
Quote:
And I disagree with your statement. I think you are missing the point.

The second appraisal was just asked for by the lender. It takes about 10 days to get one if it is pushed thru. For all it's worth, the buyer might have not yet even contacted an appraiser for it. I know loans can be funded in 3 days but that would be only after the second appraisal is submitted.
I agree with his statement. I've had appraisals done in just a few days before no problem.

Bottom line is to call your realtor and ask them to find out what's going on. Last time this happened to me it was just that the buyer decided to switch lenders last minute for whatever reason. No problem with the appraisal, just new bank so new appraisal needed.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:21 PM

403 posts, read 1,170,371 times
Quote:
This is a ridiculous statement with no basis in fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate