Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 11:12 AM

38 posts, read 125,733 times

Advertisements

I am hoping there is someone on here that can help me. I signed a contract to purchase a home that is being built. Upon signing, I gave a deposit. I currently live in one state and purchased the house in another. I thought I would be able to get a transfer with my company to our office in that new state. However, it has been determined I cannot transfer so I am staying put. My contract mentions if I don't qualify for the mortgage then it will be null. Under these circumstances, do I have to wait until closing for them to determine I no longer qualify for the mortgage? Will I get my deposit back? When is the best time to let builder know? I am looking for the best answer that will get my deposit back.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 11:21 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSage2 View Post
I am hoping there is someone on here that can help me. I signed a contract to purchase a home that is being built. Upon signing, I gave a deposit. I currently live in one state and purchased the house in another. I thought I would be able to get a transfer with my company to our office in that new state. However, it has been determined I cannot transfer so I am staying put. My contract mentions if I don't qualify for the mortgage then it will be null. Under these circumstances, do I have to wait until closing for them to determine I no longer qualify for the mortgage? Will I get my deposit back? When is the best time to let builder know? I am looking for the best answer that will get my deposit back.

Thanks in advance!
Was there a contingency about the job transfer?

Have you talked to the builder? If not, do so, right away. Discuss the problem with them -

Old 12-11-2007, 11:51 AM

38 posts, read 125,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Was there a contingency about the job transfer?

Have you talked to the builder? If not, do so, right away. Discuss the problem with them -
I have not spoken with the builder as yet for fear of losing the deposit altogether. The contract states if I don't qualify for the mortgage then I am not bound to purchase. In the past I've asked them if I don't get the transfer would I qualify for the mortgage and they said no.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:55 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
Quote:
I have not spoken with the builder as yet for fear of losing the deposit altogether. The contract states if I don't qualify for the mortgage then I am not bound to purchase. In the past I've asked them if I don't get the transfer would I qualify for the mortgage and they said no.
Then perhaps you need to talk to the lender today - maybe, just maybe, you they will look at your situation and, if appropriate, will give you a letter of denial now - hopefully, that may help you in your current situation

Good luck

Old 12-11-2007, 05:33 PM

354 posts, read 1,217,502 times
Do you own your current home or rent?

If you have a job in another city the new home purchase will likely get treated as a second home ( and you should declare it as such) , then the chances of not getting mortgage approval will definitely be high unless you are making tons of money and have no other debt. The criteria would be that you should be able to service (both) debts or rent/mortgage in both places. And of course a decent credit score to match.

I suggest you talk to the builder citing that you can't get a job transfer (that it fell thru) and hence you won't qualify for a mortgage. See what he has to say. If he doesn't agree, you really will have to wait it out till closing.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:38 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,592,691 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Are you working with an Agent?

Old 12-11-2007, 05:43 PM

Your contract will typically state under what circumstances the financing contingency will be null. It will also state some action that you must take, who must be a party to that action (proof) and may have a time in which the actions must be performed.
Hope this helps

Old 12-11-2007, 05:48 PM

403 posts, read 1,169,965 times
Not knowing any details (especially the $ amount involved), my generic advice for people in a similar situation is:

Do not talk to the builder...if you're not careful, "anything you say can and will be used against you."

Get an agent and pay him to guide you out of the mess - or get a lawyer and pay him to guide you out of the mess.

Your situation is another example of why people should not begin shopping for new homes until they've found an agent to represent them.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Young View Post
Not knowing any details (especially the $ amount involved), my generic advice for people in a similar situation is:

Do not talk to the builder...if you're not careful, "anything you say can and will be used against you."

Get an agent and pay him to guide you out of the mess - or get a lawyer and pay him to guide you out of the mess.

Your situation is another example of why people should not begin shopping for new homes until they've found an agent to represent them.

..Agreed..

Homes cost a lot of money, period.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:00 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,184,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Young View Post

But at this point you need an attorney. Agents are good at avoiding such things not at getting you out of them. That is lawyer country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate