Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 10:01 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
I dont believe they are copyrightable.
On what basis? I've had to deal with copyright issues in the past and present for publication purposes and what I stated is pretty much, in brief, the way it works (for the many countries that are signatories of the Berne Convention, though in this case we're talking about U.S. Copyright Law and a U.S. HOA, so Berne isn't really applicable). So what do you know that makes you think that they are not subject to copyright (which would exist from the moment of creation)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 10:02 AM

238 posts, read 414,865 times
About copyrighting...

Second post down here

seems to show minutes ARE copyrighted

Last edited by foxboro82; 05-14-2014 at 11:03 AM..

Old 05-14-2014, 10:28 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxboro82 View Post
HA! ...yes, I meant free speech. 1st amendment...
And here i am reading through the links you posting wondering what this had to do with owning firearms??

Old 05-14-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
And here i am reading through the links you posting wondering what this had to do with owning firearms??
I know...my oops.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:12 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Many HOAs now have their CCR's, etc., online in a website run by the Board or management company on behalf of the Board these days. Perhaps you should find a few HOA websites that include this and show them to the Board - they're great for promoting the neighborhood and assist those homeowners who are selling in finding buyers (these days people would prefer to read the HOA docs before making an offer, even if they know they're going to be charged for them as part of the sale, to avoid the expense of inspections, etc., only to find that the CCR's contain something they can't or don't want to live with).

As for the statement that the docs are not copyrighted, I'm not an attorney, but I do know that EVERYTHING other than government documents falls under copyright protection from the moment that it is first created in fixed form (and on a computer counts, per the U.S. Copyright Office website). Since HOA docs are not government documents, they would seem to be copyrighted and cannot be published anywhere without permission of the copyright holder, usually the author but in this case perhaps the HOA depending on the contract to create them) without being in violation of copyright infringement.
Copyright is for authors and inventors. For example, a statement made by me on this forum is not copyrighted despite the fact that a single author wrote it.

Condo Declarations are public information and are available from your County Clerk's office. They are not copyrighted.

As for minutes, I don't see anything that would make them copyrighted material. You could check your state condo statutes, it will specify the regulations for sharing minutes, I believe.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
As for minutes, I don't see anything that would make them copyrighted material. You could check your state condo statutes, it will specify the regulations for sharing minutes, I believe.
As far as the state statutes, all I can see is:

(3) the minute book, as maintained by the organization of unit owners, to the extent such minutes are kept; and

(4) financial records, including the following:

(i) records of all receipts and expenditures, invoices and vouchers authorizing payments, receivables, and bank statements relating thereto;

(ii) records regarding the replacement reserve fund or any other funds of the organization of unit owners and bank statements relating thereto;

(iii) audits, reviews, accounting statements, and financial reports relating to the finances of the organization of unit owners;

(iv) contracts for work to be performed for or services to be provided to the organization of unit owners; and

(v) all current insurance policies of the organization of unit owners, or policies which name the organization as insured or obligee.

Such records shall be kept in an up-to-date manner within the commonwealth and shall be available for reasonable inspection by any unit owner or by any mortgagee holding a recorded first mortgage on a unit during regular business hours and at such other times as may be provided in the agreement between the manager or managing agent and the organization of unit owners. Access to said records shall include the right to photocopy said records at the expense of the person or entity making the request.

I don't know, I'm sure if I were to publish them they'd find a lawyer who could find a way to sue me and then charge me all their lawyers fees on top of it. These people are truly mental. I'm not dealing with normal people, but thugs.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:10 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
Very simple. Register the domain name, make the registration private, publish the site and let them bring forth a lawsuit.

Then take them to the cleaners.

Accomplishes several things, the site goes up, you get a lot of money and own all their homes too.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Very simple. Register the domain name, make the registration private, publish the site and let them bring forth a lawsuit.

Accomplishes several things, the site goes up, you get a lot of money and own all their homes too.
Ha! I don't think I would win. I'm sure they'd be able to come up with something to make a case against me... (these people are thugs, ...think "the Departed" ...Massachusetts State Police...). Off the top of my head they might make a case that I am affecting peoples' property prices somehow, affecting the association negatively somehow, something like that.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:37 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
They would tell you not to rock the boat. Psst. You can't rock a boat that is stuck in the mud. You don't have an ethics problem. The board has a corruption problem.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:29 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post

Good one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate