U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 07:33 PM

238 posts, read 369,354 times

Advertisements

Some of you were kind enough to give me some ideas about doing a closed informational condo website without board approval.

So at our meeting tonight, the Board members voted on adoption of this:
http://www.caionline.org/info/help/a...mberethics.pdf

And also on adoption of this:
Profile of Effective Trustee

It was voted my the majority. I mentioned my idea of a non-board informational website and they were trying to say that I couldn't do the website and also be on the board (wouldn't be "one voice"). I said I didn't think this would supersede 2nd amendment rights. I also informed them that the website would only have information (master docs and minutes) that unit owners have access to anyhow. Is this a "different voice"?

Management had issue with the website because he said that is the way he makes some of his money (charging for docs).

And the Board said I would be taking money from him if I were to post the docs on a website.

Any ideas on how to proceed?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 07:39 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,431,934 times
I think you mean first amendment - the government will not interfere with your right to free speech. The second amendment is about the right to bear arms.

What money are you taking from the Board?

Old 05-12-2014, 07:45 PM

3,294 posts, read 6,569,946 times
> The second amendment is about the right to bear arms.

I don't know- maybe the poster is fighting mad.

Seriously- there is more than your right to free speech at issue here. You do not have the right to post documents or minutes written by someone else (copyright). (Although under some circumstances there is a fair use defense). The name of the association may be trademarked.

I do agree that promulgation of these documents is a good idea.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
I think you mean first amendment - the government will not interfere with your right to free speech. The second amendment is about the right to bear arms.

What money are you taking from the Board?
HA! ...yes, I meant free speech. 1st amendment...

I am not taking any money from the board...why did you ask that?

Old 05-12-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post

I don't know- maybe the poster is fighting mad.
yes, I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post

Seriously- there is more than your right to free speech at issue here. You do not have the right to post documents or minutes written by someone else (copyright). (Although under some circumstances there is a fair use defense). The name of the association may be trademarked.

I do agree that promulgation of these documents is a good idea.
They are not copyrighted and the management said they give them to any unit owner who asks. So I don't see that so much as an issue. The other documents are available from the County website (free to view, $ to print). So they're just mad about me making a website and giving people information. I wouldn't even need to put my name on it...

Last edited by foxboro82; 05-12-2014 at 08:49 PM..

Old 05-12-2014, 08:33 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,431,934 times
This is why I asked about money

"And the Board said I would be taking money from him if I were to post the docs on a website."

Old 05-12-2014, 08:48 PM

Got it! Sorry. They meant I would be taking away his business if I were posting the docs for free. But these are our documents, not his. And people can view for free on the county website and also print them from that website for half the cost he charges.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:07 PM

5,641 posts, read 9,564,818 times
If the association has a contract with the management company that gives them some sort of exclusive right to disseminate the docs, you would be violating the contract. I would ask to see a copy of the contract.

Regarding the adoption of the ethics guidelines, it is probably meaningless unless and until those rules are incorporated into the bylaws or other docs. That would probably need a vote by the entire association membership.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
If the association has a contract with the management company that gives them some sort of exclusive right to disseminate the docs, you would be violating the contract. I would ask to see a copy of the contract.
I dont think that's the case, the mgmt didn't refer to anything like that. Just he would be bummed to lose out on the money.

But if I wasn't actually posting the docs but rather just links to websites where you can get the docs....public information.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Regarding the adoption of the ethics guidelines, it is probably meaningless unless and until those rules are incorporated into the bylaws or other docs. That would probably need a vote by the entire association membership.
Ah! Good point. I wonder what would be said if I brought that up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate