Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 09:20 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,482,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
For landlords, I know it's illegal to discriminate based on race, but is it morally or logically wrong in some cases?
Yes, it is.

It is racist and illogical in that you connect the trouble blacks cause with their race, while you connect the trouble whites cause only with their individual character. The truth is, someone's race is not what causes them to behave badly, or well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 09:27 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
For landlords, I know it's illegal to discriminate based on race, but is it morally or logically wrong in some cases?

Lets say someone owns 1000 working class properties and they have problems (not paying rent, vandalism, police being called, etc) with 15% of their renters (150 homes) at any given time. Lets also assume that of that 15%, blacks are overrepresented by a large margin. Everyone is screened equally prior to moving in.

After a few years of this, do you feel it's racist for this person to then prefer renting to whites who are statistically less likely to cause problems?

Should this person not even think of the stats/race and give everyone an equal opportunity to prove themselves?

Do you know any landlords that make race an issue?
Usually I see that problems are a function of the real estate, not the occupant. Sound strange?

We own 2 properties. Both are occupied by black families.
We have zero turn over. One party has been with us for 8 years, the other 5 years. The last time it was vacant, we never even put up a sign; someone saw the moving truck and called me. We never missed a single month's rent.

Turn over, as I see it, is THE problem. So I make sure I will not have turn over. I rent to extremely well established families with a long local work history.....AND...I make damn sure our property is in top-notch condition. Because our property is paid for, I can rent below market value and come out just fine.

I respond immediately when there is a problem. And I accept damage to the property as part of the deal, at least up to a point.
The day after Memorial Day we are going to paint the "A property. It has been years since it was painted, so my wife sat down with the occupant and picked out some colors. It will look great and she will probably stay in that place until she dies.

I am a good landlord. And I have no problem telling someone that he is inadequately established or that he doesn't make enough money. I have caught 3 or maybe 4 people in outright lies and I have told them flatly that I would not rent to them under any circumstances. I am not kind, nor am I subtle. Flakes know they are flakes, they are just hoping that you will not notice.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:41 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Yes, it is.

It is racist and illogical in that you connect the trouble blacks cause with their race, while you connect the trouble whites cause only with their individual character. The truth is, someone's race is not what causes them to behave badly, or well.
This was not expressed or implied. Re-read the thread.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
What is morally right or wrong is a function of your conscience. If you have to ask, then you must believe it is wrong.
If you say so...

Old 05-16-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS14 View Post
So according to that a black I-banker with a million in the bank and a 790 credit score is more likely to default on rent than a struggling white waiter who is living paycheck to paycheck and has a credit score of 620. I'm not saying you can't find data based on race but I don't think that is good data to determine rent payment. If I was trying to find out who would pay me back, I think I could find much better correlating data than race.

I could give you a ton of irrelevant data like what if brunettes default on their loans 3 times more than blondes, would you only rent to blondes? You'd laugh at me. I think the premise of your question is "I'm racist, if I find some facts to back up my racism is that ok?" If you want someone to condone your racist thoughts I'm not sure you're going to find it here. There is this website called stormfront.com that you might find more likeminded affirmation.
Re-read the thread. Your question has nothing to do with what's been said.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post

I'm a single 28 year old male, pull down about 70K annually, and last time I checked I have a credit score of 740. Oh and I am black. Would you not rent to me?
Re-read thread.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow

Pre-judging an individual based on what you perceive to be characteristics of a particular race is racism. Duh.
Re-read thread.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
If a property owner is going to base their racism on 8-10% of their tenants, they deserve to lose all of their properties - if they're idiotic enough to discriminate in housing, it won't take long.
Thanks for your opinion.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
Landlords are as racist as the next person, all they want is to receive their rent payment and to try and minimize destruction to their property, it is not discrimination as they have to weed out the riff raft in doing so,, if you fall into that category, file it under tough luck, racist card is getting old, oh wait it, is old, get over it.
Essentially yes, most landlords just want their money with as little destruction as possible.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:56 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Is it racist in China?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate