Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 02:14 PM

3,730 posts, read 5,714,412 times

Advertisements

I don't see anything really "wrong" with the house. The updates look nice. The kitchen looks nice. Unless there are hidden issues (like stick-on "wood" flooring that was not 'stuck-on' properly), the house is in great shape, and luxurious FOR THE PRICE.

When I was seventeen, seeing my life before me, I dreamed of some day working in an office. As hideous as I was, and from a background as wretched as mine, I saw myself as a bottom-rung office worker/secretary - working for rich people, but hidden from sight. It didn't even occur to me that I might marry. That was just not my place in the world.

I schemed to get to a junior college and take a secretarial course. The three dying women in our shack (Great-Grandmother, Grandmother, substance-abusing Mom) told me, in various cruel ways, that I wasn't good enough for a junior college. But then, some nice white ladies got me enrolled in a real 4-year university, got me hooked-up with minority scholarships, bought me a suitcase and everything in it, and drove me up to the school. That was a gift from Heaven. Divine guidance surely steered me into 'Bodybuilding 101' that first semester, where I met the other most wretched person on campus, who became my Husband. And I have to think that it was a blessing that I found a source for marked-out-of-stock merchandise from Saks Fifth Avenue (frequently 95% off), which allowed me to dress us in fine Italian clothing - setting us apart, getting us the best jobs around, while we were in school/grad school, and getting us recruited, as 'model minorities', to great jobs in the Capital.

But if my life had gone as it 'should' have gone, then the house being considered would have been beyond my wildest dreams. With an associate's degree in 'Office Assistant' or something, and as alone as someone with my looks would have been, my (not 'our') household income would have been around thirty - forever. I would have remained bottom-rung for life. That translates to a seventy five thousand Dollar house - if a person with that income can ever save up enough for a down payment.

And, if I'd never made it to even a junior college, then, assuming I'd somehow managed to work steadily at Minimum Wage, I'd be earning $15,750. Maybe, I could have qualified for a forty thousand Dollar house. Try finding one. Try, on Minimum Wage, keeping a car running well enough to reach a house like that, far enough out in the country to be safe. It was my expectation (and my dream) to be able to have an apartment over someone's garage, and ride a nice bus to work. Not in my wildest dreams, as a seventeen-year-old highschool senior, would I have thought I could own a house like the one in the Original Post. Most people with my background (even the pretty, perky cheerleaders dating football captains) never made it into houses that nice. Only if Bubba "got-on with the Power Company" would he have made enough to buy a house like that. A couple of long-haul truckers, I hear, managed to buy nice doublewides for their Tawnyuhs (who are all 400lb behemoths, now... with dead husbands... and there are tires on the doublewides' roofs, holding down the tarps spread over the leaky parts).

What I'm trying to do here, is establish a baseline reflecting the reality in which most people live (especially in Appalachia), as opposed the unreality of the 'reality shows' a great many posters here seem to watch on cable TV (and which seem to be their sources of information about the world outside their mothers' basements). By most people's standards, the kitchen and baths in that house are very nice. By many people's standards, that is a luxury home.

Most people enter their houses via their garages/carports. I assume that's the case here. So, the front porch is really not that important. Judicious landscaping would transform the whole front, and make the porch less of an eyesore. And if the carport is the actual entrance, a nice coat of paint there would be wise.

People are being unreasonably picky about a house in a price range where people really can't afford to be picky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 03:03 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,824,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
I don't see anything really "wrong" with the house. The updates look nice. The kitchen looks nice. Unless there are hidden issues (like stick-on "wood" flooring that was not 'stuck-on' properly), the house is in great shape, and luxurious FOR THE PRICE.
Goodness. We paid a little less than that house is on the market for, a little over a year and a half ago, in a very nice suburb outside St. Louis... and if you think that house is nice, you'd think my house was a palace! Haha.

Real Estate is very localized. What looks to be a good price, may not necessarily be in that given area. Housing in Tennessee is generally very cheap, for instance. I believe the OP can get a lot better bang for his buck if he just keeps looking. (Which I believe is his plan)

Old 05-30-2014, 04:09 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,384,349 times
I've been in this house and the kitchen counters need replaced because the green color is out-of-date for sure. The house has sky lights in kitchen and bathrooms. The picture of the bathroom with one sink by the toliet is not real close as picture makes it out to be. Master bathroom has two sinks instead of one the picture makes it look like. Craw space is at least 5 feet in height. Dish washer is as old as house. Stainless steel stove and microwave is stainless also is a Kitchen Aid. The owner wants 95,000 and will not take less. Hard wood floors in the cheap hardwood only 1/4 inch thick and made with cardboard.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:02 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,692,648 times
Wait him out, John, and good luck.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:12 AM

This house has been Sold I've been told.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:56 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,525,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Here is a house that's been hard to sell for some reason and think it's because of the driveway being steep.

2548 Lake Pointe Dr

2548 Lake Pointe Dr, Cookeville, TN 38506 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Wow a child I would have loved roller skating or skateboarding down the long straight driveway on that house. The sellers should try to make sure that any buyers viewing the house bring their kids along lol.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:22 PM

I would have bought this house for 90,000 because my buyers agent said to fix it up and sell it for 119,000. I had no place to park my travel trailer and I hate grass cutting.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate