Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 10:44 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin023 View Post
Well, like so many here have said it is the price which is the reason why it is not selling. The 'steep' driveway is not so much a problem as the good many other issues which are apparent.
The listing states there had been 'updates' but none of those are listed or described; I see little to no evidence of recent updates in any of the pictures unless if they are talking about the awful front porch (which does not seem to go with the house at all---it really detracts from its curb appeal).
At a glance inside, the big ones are the kitchen and one of the bathrooms: the smaller bath has a dysfunctional layout with the sink right over the toilet--that would make me wonder why this was done (often there are reasons which can indicate more 'going on' behind the scene like amateur plumbing, etc.). The fixtures are cheap and dated in that bath as well.
The kitchen is small but functional and probably could use a facelift at least---I do like the skylight though.
The second bathroom is larger and while a bit dated is much better and seems to be laid out well.
The bedrooms seem small but for a house that size that is not so unusual.
The yards are in definite need of attention and this alone will drive some buyers away at first sight...an easy fix.
There could well be other issues such as roof, HVAC, etc which could be either not working or in their old age---the house was built in 1995 so if it still has the original roof it could be near or past its 'life'--same with HVAC systems in many cases. But the MLS does not tell us the status of these and they can be big expenses when they need replacement. Otherwise it has good potential--the lot is a decent size.
The agent said the Heating and Cooling unit is 2 years old and the kitchen has been update the agent has said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 11:07 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times
John, why don't you throw 85K at it and see if it sticks?

Old 05-25-2014, 11:30 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
simply put... overpaying for the house and trying to price it at an equally overpriced level when selling.. either that or being greedy and overpricing just to make a profit. Most any home will sell quick if priced appropriately. Around here they'll sell within the first day or two.

Guy at work is overpricing his house, and I know this after studying local price trends and going through my fair share of open houses... result.. house does not sell, took it off market for the winter, relisted it in spring, still not selling... I've mentioned to him what he can more realistically expect and he did not lower his selling price. He's in no real rush though so it's not a huge deal.

Outside that, I'm turned off by baseboard electric or fuel oil heat. I look for heat pump and/or natural gas that is forced air, but the average home shopper might not care or look for that. I don't care if the interior is messy, I go up into the attic and look for roof leaks and insulation, open up the breaker panels, look at the pipes under the sink, etc.. I specifically look for a PVC sewer line exit in the basement so I know I'm not going to have to do a costly replacement of old clay lines down the road..however..

The average person will pay less honestly if they see dirty carpeting or walls, an unkept yard, things of that sort. Give your siding a good power washing and make sure the place is clean. I would say get your stuff out of there too.. nobody cares about other people's tastes.. they'd rather see an empty place that is clean ready to mold to their own personal tastes... if you've got NFL team stuff lining the walls or other personal clutter everywhere, stuff it in boxes or drawers and keep a minimalist approach to clean.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
simply put... overpaying for the house and trying to price it at an equally overpriced level when selling.. either that or being greedy and overpricing just to make a profit. Most any home will sell quick if priced appropriately. Around here they'll sell within the first day or two.

Guy at work is overpricing his house, and I know this after studying local price trends and going through my fair share of open houses... result.. house does not sell, took it off market for the winter, relisted it in spring, still not selling... I've mentioned to him what he can more realistically expect and he did not lower his selling price. He's in no real rush though so it's not a huge deal.

Outside that, I'm turned off by baseboard electric or fuel oil heat. I look for heat pump and/or natural gas that is forced air, but the average home shopper might not care or look for that. I don't care if the interior is messy, I go up into the attic and look for roof leaks and insulation, open up the breaker panels, look at the pipes under the sink, etc.. I specifically look for a PVC sewer line exit in the basement so I know I'm not going to have to do a costly replacement of old clay lines down the road..however..

The average person will pay less honestly if they see dirty carpeting or walls, an unkept yard, things of that sort. Give your siding a good power washing and make sure the place is clean. I would say get your stuff out of there too.. nobody cares about other people's tastes.. they'd rather see an empty place that is clean ready to mold to their own personal tastes... if you've got NFL team stuff lining the walls or other personal clutter everywhere, stuff it in boxes or drawers and keep a minimalist approach to clean.
When I buy a house it must have copper or new plastic pumbing and update electrical panel. This house has a forced air heating which is good.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:55 AM

183 posts, read 292,493 times
What about the neigbourhood ? I don't see anything near this house. There can be number of factors for this house not being sold on the required price. It looks little old and price realtor is charging like its newly built. There is problem with its structure too, i.e. look at the bathroom width.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilywhite View Post
What about the neigbourhood ? I don't see anything near this house. There can be number of factors for this house not being sold on the required price. It looks little old and price realtor is charging like its newly built. There is problem with its structure too, i.e. look at the bathroom width.

What about the neigbourhood is mainly senior citizens. I thinks it mainly the stairs that turn people off and the only flat spot is in the garage.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:11 AM

279 posts, read 544,529 times
If that is the updated house I wonder what it looked like before...

Old 05-27-2014, 04:23 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,864,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower--girl View Post
If that is the updated house I wonder what it looked like before...
Seriously right?

They must be invisible updates

Old 05-27-2014, 08:57 PM

The agent told me the owner could only come down in the 80's in price. Agent claims house should sell for 119,000 when repairs are made like front porch.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:49 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Women buy houses and not Men I've been told many times buy a agent. Women want a good looking house inside and don't care about garage or shed or pole barn out back.
Quote:
I told my buyers agent about offering 75,000 for the house with problems that I can fix myself and she told the agent and they said it was way to low.
Quote:
The agent told me the owner could only come down in the 80's in price. Agent claims house should sell for 119,000 when repairs are made like front porch.
As a general rule, I don't bash agents, but seriously yours sounds less like a Buyers' agent and more like an advocate for the Sellers.

If you think the work needed would indicate a sales price of $75K, then offer that. Tell your agent to present the offer.

Personally, you wouldn't even get me past the front door of that house just because of the accessibility issues I see. I have to plan for injury and the aging process.

BTW, your agent is from the dark ages if she makes sexist statements as above. I bought this house based on everything BUT the house with my comments about the house being: if we don't like it when we get there or if the tenants trash the house, we'll raze it and build new. I hated this house, but I loved everything else about it - the shed, land, location. I still don't like the house but the improvements have me feeling quite comfortable here - and the improvements and upgrades continue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate