Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 12:27 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiner81 View Post
I'm confused by all these replies that don't seem to have a plan in place for when they get an offer. Anytime we've ever sold/moved we have our plans in place for where we will live if our house sells fast, avg or slowly - and how we plan on paying for things based on those timelines.
You are right. The different scenarios should be planned ahead. But I always thought most sales took 2 or 3 months from first offer until settlement -- with time for negotiations, inspections, repairs, for the buyer to sell/close on their current home, and for the buyer to get their mortgage arranged. This 30 day window is new to me.

My MLS listing went live on Thursday. I am going on a house hunting trip to my new area on Tuesday with checkbook in hand. But even if I find a house next week, I don't know how long or short a time IT will take until settlement... and I need the proceeds from my current home to buy the new one. This is very difficult to plan. Maybe I need to look at rentals as well as houses on my trip next week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 08:23 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
PODs and the like (there are several other vendors out there) are cheaper than loading a moving van, moving stuff into storage, moving stuff out of storage into your new home. I am not aware that they are leaky. A POD is placed in a warehouse with your lock on the container until it is ready to be delivered.

The cheapest, usually, is to hire a truck that is loaded by family, drive it to your destination and unload it into your new home. Frankly that is tough to accomplish because these days sellers are reluctant to tie up their home sale until yours closes. Unless you can enter such a contract you will be scrambling to buy when the process should be thoughtful.

It just occurred to me that YOU will be a buyer making an offer contingent on a home seller vacating very quickly.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:05 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I know about the PODS, and you're right that it would prevent stray items or boxes from getting lost. But they are not cheap, and I am someone who would have to hire movers at both ends to load and unload. From what I've read, some/many? are not even waterproof.

I guess the whole storage bit makes me uneasy.
If this makes you uneasy, then getting stuck with an unsold house for months on end ought to make you squirm and wake up screaming in the night.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
You are right. The different scenarios should be planned ahead. But I always thought most sales took 2 or 3 months from first offer until settlement -- with time for negotiations, inspections, repairs, for the buyer to sell/close on their current home, and for the buyer to get their mortgage arranged. This 30 day window is new to me.

My MLS listing went live on Thursday. I am going on a house hunting trip to my new area on Tuesday with checkbook in hand. But even if I find a house next week, I don't know how long or short a time IT will take until settlement... and I need the proceeds from my current home to buy the new one. This is very difficult to plan. Maybe I need to look at rentals as well as houses on my trip next week.
It must have been a long time since you've been a buyer or seller. What you are remembering is the 'good old days' of contingency contracts. I'm sure the realtors around here know better than I do, but I'd guess those contingency contracts are less than - what - maybe 5% of sales these days?

Old 05-24-2014, 11:52 AM

44 posts, read 64,407 times
We recently listed our home for sale, thinking it would probably take the local average of 3-6 months to sell. We had multiple offers and were under contract after one day, with a price slightly above the listing price, and hadn't started looking for our next house yet. So, yes, it's a pain but one we can live with, because we're thanking our lucky stars for our good fortune.

Frantically found our next house and there will be about a 10-day window between closings, so we plan to store our stuff (have already started moving it gradually into a storage unit), board most of the pets, and stay in a motel for the interim.

You sound even more worried than me about storage units. Do your homework and find a good one, pay what you have to pay, and take things one day at a time. If you weren't ready to move you shouldn't have listed the house. Be glad people want to buy it!

Old 05-24-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJK993 View Post
Frantically found our next house and there will be about a 10-day window between closings, so we plan to store our stuff (have already started moving it gradually into a storage unit), board most of the pets, and stay in a motel for the interim.

any reason that you wouldn't take the pets with you? There are several hotel chains that do not charge extra for pets, and are 100% pet friendly. La Quinta and Red Roof Inn, for example. Most of their locations have larger rooms/suites so everyone can spread out a little, and I'd bet that would be cheaper than boarding them. At MOST La Quinta's, every room has a microwave and a small fridge.

Certainly, the pets would be happier and healthier with you guys in a motel room than being boarded.

Note: There may a maximum number of pets per room - check with the hotel directly about that, as I KNOW they will often make exceptions.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:37 AM

44 posts, read 64,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
any reason that you wouldn't take the pets with you? There are several hotel chains that do not charge extra for pets, and are 100% pet friendly. La Quinta and Red Roof Inn, for example. Most of their locations have larger rooms/suites so everyone can spread out a little, and I'd bet that would be cheaper than boarding them. At MOST La Quinta's, every room has a microwave and a small fridge.

Certainly, the pets would be happier and healthier with you guys in a motel room than being boarded.

Note: There may a maximum number of pets per room - check with the hotel directly about that, as I KNOW they will often make exceptions.
Of course there are reasons; I'm not stupid or uncaring. Rest assured we have explored all options, and yes, it has to do with limits. The hotel is not running a farm.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:49 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
It must have been a long time since you've been a buyer or seller. What you are remembering is the 'good old days' of contingency contracts. I'm sure the realtors around here know better than I do, but I'd guess those contingency contracts are less than - what - maybe 5% of sales these days?
I have been seeing contingent contracts in the listings. Sometimes they are called Active with Contract or Contingent with Kickout. This gives you a contingent contract to give you time to sell/close on your current house but the seller can still keep the house you want on the market and take backup offers to yours.

how kick-clause-works

And yes, the last time I sold and bought was 17 years ago. Closed on both the old and new houses on the same day.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:19 PM

862 posts, read 1,642,846 times
[quote=Jkgourmet;34940795]any reason that you wouldn't take the pets with you? There are several hotel chains that do not charge extra for pets, and are 100% pet friendly. La Quinta and Red Roof Inn, for example. Most of their locations have larger rooms/suites so everyone can spread out a little, and I'd bet that would be cheaper than boarding them. At MOST La Quinta's, every room has a microwave and a small fridge.

Note: There may a maximum number of pets per room - check with the hotel directly about that, as I KNOW they will often make exceptions.[/quote]

We have 3 pupdogs and 3 kitties. Don't know of a hotel that will let us stay with all of them.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:53 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
Can you put them in the care of friends for a couple weeks? In my experience dogs are more accommodating of change than cats but either way they will have territorial and adjustment issues.

Ask your vet about good kennels in the area. It may be easier for them if you can keep each species together in the same kennel. In that way they support each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate