Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 04:57 PM

25,915 posts, read 22,070,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I had a neighbor that was a realtor. He said he wanted to impress his client so would I sign in and walk through during an open house. I said sure.

Also had a friend that sold life insurance. He asked me to attend a presentation so his boss would think he had more clients then he did.

This stuff is common practice in many sales professions.
Call it any kind of practice you want but it is dishonest. I wouldn't be involved or involve myself in a scam like that. So, I'm thinking this thread is good for the FSBO business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
The aggressive agent convinced me to allow her buyer to view the property. The buyer submitted a cash offer and has signed the contract. This is surreal. I am actually starting to get cold feet but it would be foolish to pass this by. I do not live in the type of neighborhood where people offer cash on the spot. The thing that is so strange is that her offer was my true bottom line. My goal was $10,000 more but I was able to wiggle a couple grand more. This is definitely divine intervention. God makes all things possible. The agent admitted to me that she has never seen anything like this before. The property was only shown to two people. A young couple that was clearly not interested. The second was looking to upgrade and be close to her friend. I guess it is not meant for a family to live in my home.
Since this will be different from getting a loan, I'm wondering how they verify that the buyer is capable of coming up with the cash. We bought our current home for cash and closed within 3 days. The seller was anxious to sell since it was the house of his parents who had moved to a senior living situation. Cash is nice but I just wonder how they verify funds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 06:31 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,476,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Call it any kind of practice you want but it is dishonest. I wouldn't be involved or involve myself in a scam like that. So, I'm thinking this thread is good for the FSBO business.

Since this will be different from getting a loan, I'm wondering how they verify that the buyer is capable of coming up with the cash. We bought our current home for cash and closed within 3 days. The seller was anxious to sell since it was the house of his parents who had moved to a senior living situation. Cash is nice but I just wonder how they verify funds.
If she does not come up with the money, I get $12,000. I am not going to worry about.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:35 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,101,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
I have no problem with her bringing you a buyer and if the offer is acceptable to you all the better. But be careful, the "I have a Buyer for your house" is the first line of BS that we use to get a listing. I have brought my sister, friends, even buyers that are not qualified to see homes just to prove to the seller that I have interested buyers. A little larceny? Yes, but I wanted the listing.
That's the kind of stuff that gives Realtors a bad name. I'm glad I have a great Arizona Realtor.

A little larceny is like a little bit pregnant. Lucky for you this forum doesn't have negative rep. You should be ashamed of your unethical practices.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:50 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,101,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
One of the agents that I interviewed wants to show my house tomorrow. She is such a pain in the butt. Maybe her aggression may work in my favor. I do not have any expectations. She has many prospective buyers because of an underpriced listing that she already has in contract after a few weeks. I told her that I am not willing to give my house away. She quoted the buyer a pretty good price but I got to learn quite a bit about her style during the interviewing process. She probably already told her my bottom line. I feel so vulnerable because she already knows so much about me. The house has not been listed. She does not owe me anything. However, if she gets me a price that I am comfortable with then why should I care? Does this happen often? What are your thoughts and experiences?
Interview at least three Realtors and ask each to run comps and justify them. Then go with the realtor you like best, not necessarily the one who gives you the highest comps.

Another trick unscrupulous agents use on novice sellers is to get them to list their house under market. If you go from listed to under contract in 2-3 days you found one of these.

My last sale my agent wanted to list it for X and I changed that to $10K more, and went from listed to contract in 9 days. I'm pretty sure I should have asked for more, but a man accepts his mistakes and moves on.

Funny thing, I dealt with the same agency two years later, and I specifically told them I'd walk if he was involved. Then I told them I wanted a woman agent. Don't ask me why, I'm prejudiced, but I think women can do a better job of finding houses for me than men. (This excludes my NM Realtor, a man, who did a fantastic job! Only problem was that NM wasn't for me.) So anyway, two of their hot shot brokers jumped me and told me they could do a better job, and I told them get the woman out here or I walk. So 10 minutes later I met the most professional Realtor I had met until then, Karen, and she finally ended up selling me my dream house, although after great effort, and she never complained. That was a year ago and I'm living in my dream house now!

My tip for all real estate newbies. Interview several Realtors before you buy or sell. Find one that has the right chemistry for you. One person can fool you. After talking to several people you will get the drift of what is truth and what is fiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate