Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 03:09 PM

399 posts, read 568,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
that is pure insanity.

what happens at 8pm????

I dont understand what the big deal is if cars are parked on the street??? 2 hours or overnight.....so what,

how could that possibly make the quality of ones life better by not being parked on the street?????

sometimes it is just easier of get of and on the block without having to go up on a driveway or park in a garage.....hence street parking.....

RE: the garage door being open, again, what is so trashy about that. It is a garage, all the people in the development have them, so what????? Is that really offensive to see?? OMG the horror if it.....Mrs Green has her garage door open, OMG what will happen to the neighborhood.....
nothing, the next day it will probably get closed.

sad that such trivial things get people so worked up......
Honestly? I live in rural GA. Street lights aren't plentiful like they are in a larger city (and neither are curbs) and I live on a curve. It tends to get VERY dark. Since there are no curves (just a hump from the street to the lawn). The rule is more about SAFETY than anything else I'd imagine. I wouldn't mind it anyway because I like the look of clear streets.

I'll admit I bought my house and gave GREAT consideration to the neighborhood, subdivision, and aesthetics. I loved the fact that we drove through the neighborhood and everyone's lawns were in great repair, that one person wasn't just doing whatever they wanted to and that everyone took pride in where they lived.

I don't want to walk out my house and see my neighbor parked on the grass. Some people don't mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 03:24 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,990,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk31088 View Post
No toys/bicycles left on your front yard unattended for more than 1hr.
I don't have any kids, but this has to be one of the most retarded rules I've ever heard of. So, if a group of kids are riding around and then end up at a neighbors house to play in the back yard or something, the homeowner will be cited for this?

Old 06-05-2014, 04:07 PM

67 posts, read 147,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
No one has yard tools in a condo.
I think depending on where you live, the concept of condo varies. I have yard tools and have to clip the hedge when it gets long between when the gardeners come. We have a rule about tools and water hoses not being kept on patios.

Tools not stored where visible I agree with. But the water hoses rule is kind of dumb. Is a water hose coiled below the faucet so unsightly? Luckily no one enforces it so I don't have to put the thing away every day after I'm done watering plants.

I don't like the suggested rule about no garage doors left open either. Seems like a recipe for people hassling each other about doors that have been open for only 5 minutes and a lot of unhappy people complaining about getting fined when they thought they hit the remote but accidentally didn't and left the garage open while they were at work.

Quote:
It is a matter of security. A person could pop out of the garage next to you as you pull in and start closing the door.
I find that hard to buy as a concern that this rule would solve. If somebody wants to attack you as you drive into your garage, they'll find somewhere to hide -- behind a bush, around the corner, etc. Or they'll just pretend to be walking casually by then dash under your garage door before it closes. You can't really solve that security issue by saying garage doors aren't allowed to be open.

Quote:
Animals may come in. That is a problem in Arizona.
That doesn't seem like anyone but the owner's problem.

Quote:
It looks hillbilly.
Regardless of the word you chose, I get what you mean. And I think preventing the neighborhood from looking trashy is a legitimate objectives for the HOA.

Maybe that could be accomplished if you include a limit, such as garage doors cannot be left open for more than 12 hours at a time.

It's harder to enforce than "no open garages", since you can't issue a citation every time you see an open garage. But it's not impossible to enforce, gets the point across that doors shouldn't be constantly left open, and doesn't lead to a bunch of fights between neighbors about garage doors left open for 5-15 minutes or angry people who got citations because they left the garage open by accident when they drove away.

Rules I'd want:

- Limit on the number of cars one owner can park in open spaces at the same time. The definition of owner applying to the car's owner, not condo owner. So a condo owner can have multiple guest cars parked in the open spaces, but not 10 cars belonging to that person.
(a guy at the association across the street buys cars at auctions and fills up the parking in the complex like it’s a dealership)

- Time limit of 3 days on how long cars can be consistently parked in open spaces. (Assigned/private spaces should not have restrictions on time limit.)

- No derelict/junk/totaled cars except in closed garages.

- No operating a retail store from the unit.

- No visible non-outdoor furniture on patios.

- No window or yard signs except for a single real estate for sale sign or stickers related to security or emergency services (such as "protected by XZY company" or "in emergency, please rescue dog")

Old 06-05-2014, 04:10 PM

399 posts, read 568,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I don't have any kids, but this has to be one of the most retarded rules I've ever heard of. So, if a group of kids are riding around and then end up at a neighbors house to play in the back yard or something, the homeowner will be cited for this?
Yes, but do you know how you prevent that? Tell your kids to take their bikes into the yard with them. It's quite easy. Or you put them in the garage. In other words, you tell your kids (or you do it) to clean up after themselves.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk31088 View Post
Yes, but do you know how you prevent that? Tell your kids to take their bikes into the yard with them. It's quite easy. Or you put them in the garage. In other words, you tell your kids (or you do it) to clean up after themselves.
You can also make each kid take their bike home first and then walk back. There are a lot of ways around it, it is just a completely idiotic rule in the first place.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:23 PM

8,069 posts, read 4,744,624 times
Keep in mind a lot of these more outlandish rules are imposed in an effort to curb another type of situation. The actual rule might be "no toys left unattended in the yard for more than an hour," but the gist of the rule is actually "don't leave junk in your yard". The "no more than one sign or flag allowed in your yard" is actually "don't use your yard to make a political statement".

The draconian tone and over-specificity of the rules is often a case of one bad experience with one bad neighbor making the rule-writer so ticked off that he/she decided to take it out on everyone else.

Most of the rules regarding numbers of cars and places to park them seem to be an effort to stop people from amassing junk cars, and in some cases trying to head off situations where multiple (4+), car-owning adults rent rooms in a home as if it's a boarding house. That can be a zoning violation.

One nice rule I'd like to have in any condo complex I live in would be "no lawn maintenance done before 9am on weekdays and none before 10am on weekends," because I recall being infuriated by lawnmowers and weed-whackers running outside my window at 6:30 or 7 when I wanted so badly to sleep in.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:25 PM

67 posts, read 147,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
One nice rule I'd like to have in any condo complex I live in would be "no lawn maintenance done before 9am on weekdays and none before 10am on weekends," because I recall being infuriated by lawnmowers and weed-whackers running outside my window at 6:30 or 7 when I wanted so badly to sleep in.
I wouldn't mind that rule at all.

Tho if my HOA had that, they'd have to cite their own gardeners.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:31 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
Most of the rules regarding numbers of cars and places to park them seem to be an effort to stop people from amassing junk cars, and in some cases trying to head off situations where multiple (4+), car-owning adults rent rooms in a home as if it's a boarding house. That can be a zoning violation.
Then enforce the zoning codes against junk cars and boarding houses, but don't punish a family of two adults and three adult children or teenagers, each of whom has his or her own car.

Quote:
Oooh, I like that rule; too bad it can't become part of municipal code. I'd have to cite my own lawn service, though.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Then enforce the zoning codes against junk cars and boarding houses, but don't punish a family of two adults and three adult children or teenagers, each of whom has his or her own car.

Oooh, I like that rule; too bad it can't become part of municipal code. I'd have to cite my own lawn service, though.
haha. I'd have to cite myself. I actually like waking up early on a Saturday or Sunday morning and doing yard work. Keep in mind, I'm talking like 8 - 9am.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:51 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
haha. I'd have to cite myself. I actually like waking up early on a Saturday or Sunday morning and doing yard work. Keep in mind, I'm talking like 8 - 9am.
Heck, I do yard work before sunrise - these days, that's 5 a.m.! But I don't run power tools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate