Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2007, 01:34 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,509,244 times

Advertisements

http://www.cnbc.com/id/22217580

http://money.cnn.com/2007/12/12/news...ion=2007121308

http://www.cepro.com/article/have_yo...tion_builders/

Have you guys seen this type of hostility yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 01:39 PM

266 posts, read 590,748 times
Oh, this gave me a good laugh.

Builders are acting like wusses. I am willing to bet that many of the buyers aren't coming in with the "anger" and "hostility" the homebuilder reps claim. People involved with the deal feel shafted by what they perceive as "lowball" and call it payback. I'm confident buyers make offers in a professional manner. The homebuilders just don't like the numbers and are grumbling. Me thinks the builders are angrier than the buyers right now.

Drama!

Old 12-13-2007, 02:24 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Hey, they were (and still are in some cases) part of what got us into this mess.

Very few had the foresight not to go nuts and overbuild. Some actually thought that this might not last forever.

They shafted potential buyers several years ago and now they cry foul?

Old 12-13-2007, 02:34 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,649 times
Well, only the first article suggests any hostility, and a rather unprofessional attitude from a small builder. The second details overbuilding in the last few years and the third the way subcontractors and suppliers are being treated by builders these days (not too well), so the title of the topic is a little off.

That said, I think this quote from the first article probably spells out some peoples resentment:

"Buyers are telling the sales people stories of how rudely they were treated during the boom, how they were told that if they didn’t want to take the deal they could stick it, because there was a line of buyers right behind them."

In fact, I think it spells out some peoples frustrations with some Realtors too. I know buyers who were routinely blown off by Agents during the boom if they didn't look like they would rush to overbid on the first house they saw. I get Agents wanting to spend their time with impulse buyers, but you can't blame some people for now wanting to vent their frustrations.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:48 PM

422 posts, read 1,366,384 times
hmm... interesting article.

As most of you know, I am a new home sales rep, and I have NEVER had disgruntled buyers come into my model home. Yes, people are making offers and THEY SHOULD! Its a buyers market!!! And most people's offers are being excepted. Very rarley its a ridiculous offer. The only difference I see now, that I didnt see in the past, is a lot of buyers are asking to change the plans... for ex: they say they will buy today if we can make their masterbath bigger, or take out a wall here and there.. but at the end of the day, we are still production builders, no matter how much we want to sell, we cant do that...

As far as that CNBC article, I think its a huge exaggeration! I wonder where in the US they did their interviewing.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBeginnings12 View Post

As most of you know, I am a new home sales rep, and I have NEVER had disgruntled buyers come into my model home. Yes, people are making offers and THEY SHOULD! Its a buyers market!!! And most people's offers are being excepted. Very rarley its a ridiculous offer. The only difference I see now, that I didnt see in the past, is a lot of buyers are asking to change the plans... for ex: they say they will buy today if we can make their masterbath bigger, or take out a wall here and there.. but at the end of the day, we are still production builders, no matter how much we want to sell, we cant do that...

As far as that CNBC article, I think its a huge exaggeration! I wonder where in the US they did their interviewing.
Probably in places where city auctioneers couldn't sell at a house even at half what the previous owner paid for it. Sacremento area comes to mind.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:55 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBeginnings12 View Post

Not sure where your at, but if you can say, whats your location, and what type of % off are you finding the offers people are making, and what type of % off are you finding offers being accepted at nowadays?

Old 12-13-2007, 04:14 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frudy McRomson View Post
Probably in places where city auctioneers couldn't sell at a house even at half what the previous owner paid for it. Sacremento area comes to mind.
Would you mind sticking to factual information? I'm not sure if I like you better as Frudy or InflationNation. Either way if your going to make a claim like this one, back it up with some facts dude.

As Jimmy Buffett sings, "Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it"

Old 12-13-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Would you mind sticking to factual information? I'm not sure if I like you better as Frudy or InflationNation. Either way if your going to make a claim like this one, back it up with some facts dude.

As Jimmy Buffett sings, "Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it"

You don't know me, but you may refer to me as Frudy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgtpxBPYnvE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10WoQZKZkNs

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate