Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 06:51 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
What do you like better about the quartz??
http://www.silestoneusa.com/what-is-...tz-advantages/
Cool colors such as:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 07:26 AM

4,566 posts, read 10,655,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
So we bought our Sub-Zero. My husband, b/c he's crafty like that, made panels out of plywood.
I gotta say thats the first time I've heard of someone who can afford a $4,000 subzero fridge complain about the price of panels and put plywood on the front.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:30 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default Where can I get a Sub-Zero for that rice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
can afford a $4,000 subzero fridge
$4K, try $8K for a Sub-Zero.
And, worth it.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:31 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
I paid $4,000 for a Wolf convection oven and $2,000 for a Wolf cook top, totally worth it to me!

Old 06-20-2014, 11:57 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
I gotta say thats the first time I've heard of someone who can afford a $4,000 subzero fridge complain about the price of panels and put plywood on the front.
I wasn't complaining about the price of panels...we're just not quite "there" as far as remodeling the kitchen goes and didn't want to buy another fridge after out last one broke down (as we have an all-fridge and all-freezer in the garage - they were brand new but "damaged" so they were heavily discounted) to tie us over - we'd have no use for the thing in 6 months.

So we bought our dream fridge.

Dream fridge needs panels to install handles. Three weeks of no handles broke a lot of nails and two out of three kids are not tall enough to reach the gap (at the tippy top) where it could be opened - with strong hands to break the seal.

Like I mentioned, we aren't renovating the kitchen for about 6 more months so my husband made panels out of plywood for the time being. No need to order panels (of the painted sort) right now to have them not match the cabinets when we re-do.

I wish it was $4K. More like $11K. Just for the fridge. Handles cost extra and panels (not made of plywood) will also cost extra.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:42 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
I agree 100%. Have you ever noticed that in virtually every show, a buyer will comment about how much they like the "natural light." Obviously, some producer told them to say that.
Long before HGTV, lots of natural light was (and still is) a requirement of mine in any home I buy. I want big windows and lots of them - open and filled with natural light spilling across a hardwood floor. I've always wanted that and don't care whether or not it's an HGTV thing.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:45 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
What do you like better about the quartz??
Forget granite or quartz - we're doing soapstone counter tops in the kitchen we're renovating. LUSCIOUS!

Old 06-22-2014, 08:22 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,371,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Some of them look an awful lot like Corian to me!

Old 06-22-2014, 10:13 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
My last house had a kitchen off on it's own with a pocket door that could shut it off from the rest of the house, we never used that though.

I prefer an openish concept. I designed my space and remodeled. The kitchen/dining/family form a large "L" shape, with the dining area in the corner set in a large bay. It's separated by the kitchen work area by an island and leads to the family room going the other direction. The space runs together and you can see everything from the dining table, but the corner turn hides the sink and stove from the sofa and chair so it's all good.

We don't have a formal DR so this eat in kitchen was made extra roomy.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:00 PM

697 posts, read 1,072,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
I think a lot of people like open kitchens because they can keep an eye on their kids in the living room while they are cooking.

Personally, I do not care for them because the kitchen smells waft through the rest of the room, and often there is a lot of clanking and banging, especially during cleanup. I'd rather not deal with this if I'm in the other room. I would prefer a nicely redone enclosed galley kitchen...

I very much agree with your post except for the bold part above. I hear it all the time as an argument for why people want open concept floor plans, but I really don't understand it. I had an eat-in kitchen when mine were small and I kept them in there with me when I was cooking. I had a little toddler table for them to play at while I was cooking and as they got older, they sat the dining table and colored or played with playdough. We stored their coloring books, crayons, markers, etc. and all their playdough in the bottom of the dining hutch. I didn't let them play with those things anywhere else because I didn't want crayons or markers or playdough on the carpet. They enjoyed being in there and so did I. I wasn't watching them watch TV in the open floor plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate