Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 01:58 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,716,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I actually did some research with my make and model looking for a replacement stainless front, and couldn't locate any on the Internet.

I'd surely buy it in a shake of a sheep's tail if I found one for sale.

Oh I sure wish it would break soon. I'm right about at my one year anniversary and not too late to renew my home warranty before it lapses.

It will be stainless one day or another. I plan to live in this house until either (1) I get pronounced and carried out feet first, or (2) the California state government finally goes off the deep end and Boxer, Feinstein, Pelosi and Moonbeam are simultaneously reported to be infected by rabies.

Ya know, rabies would explain a lot!

Politics aside...

Take a look at the current front of your d/w. Sometimes the panel is two-sided, one a color, the other 'silver'. Not a difficult fix!

Or there's this which you can trim to fit:

Stainless Steel Look Magnetic Dishwasher Cover
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 02:47 PM

483 posts, read 671,096 times
I like closed off better. Remember HGTV probably is paid for by the companies selling such products/services ect. Open plan seems like a lot of work, and your guests can see a kitchen dirty with the dinner's work until the dishes get cleaned-which I would rather do after guests go home.

People copy TV a lot, so when the plans change (and they will) people will follow suit.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:05 PM

28,682 posts, read 18,820,138 times
Quote:
Those people don't even get in my front door. The only people I let in are friends and family, and those necessary people, tradesmen, contractors, handy men, etc. who have to see the whole house.

In fact I'll reveal worse about myself. When the doorbell rings I look through the peep hole and if I'm not expecting anybody and it isn't a friend or relative I just go back to what I was doing and ignore them.

And yet worse: Phone me with no caller ID or "blocked" and I don't pick up, and I have the answering part switched off. People who need to contact me have my cell, my email or both. (I don't answer "blocked" on my cell either. But they go to voice mail and they are always calls I would have hung up on.)

My whole house is my personal space. Public ends at the front door.
Well, I have plenty of people in my "acquaintance" category who are welcomed into my living room but not into my family room.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:08 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,142,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
Take a look at the current front of your d/w. Sometimes the panel is two-sided, one a color, the other 'silver'. Not a difficult fix!

Or there's this which you can trim to fit:

Stainless Steel Look Magnetic Dishwasher Cover
Mine doesn't appear to be reversible because the main area is continuous around a right angle with about a 1" lip.

The Internet reference is intriguing, particularly noting "can be cut to fit any size." That reminded me that living in big, bad Los Angeles does have its advantages, and one of them is access to buy just about anything you want.

I happen to favor a company called Industrial Metal Supply which is only a half hour drive from me (Sun Valley) and has practically any kind of metal you want whether you are building a mouse cage or a sky scraper. I would be shocked if they don't have stainless steel in a variety of thicknesses and finishes, and only a modest cutting fee. Only drawback is you have to buy the whole sheet, scrap and all, but many products are offered in a variety of sizes so you can minimize scrap.

I think a sheet of that attached to the front of my dishwasher would give it the look of stainless with white trim, almost as good as the real thing.

I'll try the Internet again and see if my repeat search gets better results.

I've lived my whole house owning life with white Sears Kenmore. The current SS thing came from pricing double door double door refrigerators and the house already had one that did not convey. My inspector came up with a laundry list and my Realtor came up with a passel of estimates for my BINSR, along with a statement that we would be glad to forget the repairs if they arrange for the refrigerator to convey.

Part of the laundry list was a broken cooktop and broken oven broiler (remedy: replace both) and I wanted Wolf anyway (only comes in stainless) so then all my kitchen but dishwasher and sink were SS.

One way or another, even if I just wait it out, the dishwasher will be SS. And with granite counters to replace the tile now a gleam in my eye, it seems that a SS sink is obvious, particularly since I don't like the faucets on the current sink.

It seems that SS picked me more than anything else.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:17 PM

118 posts, read 182,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
We love our open concept house. It is why we bought it. The only downside for us was that we late in the construction cycle and therefore have stainless appliances.
I love that kitchen photo you posted - very nice!

Ruth

Old 06-08-2014, 03:38 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,046,504 times
I think a lot of people like open kitchens because they can keep an eye on their kids in the living room while they are cooking.

Personally, I do not care for them because the kitchen smells waft through the rest of the room, and often there is a lot of clanking and banging, especially during cleanup. I'd rather not deal with this if I'm in the other room. I would prefer a nicely redone enclosed galley kitchen, like this:

Slideshow: The Manhattan Transformation | Dwell

Old 06-08-2014, 05:41 PM

658 posts, read 2,007,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
The triangle is imperative and I'm seen some funky kitchens where the fridge is on the other side of the island from the rest of the appliances or the stove and sink aren't close enough for exactly what THL is talking about.
There was one "HGTV Dream House" a few years back that put the fridge in a small separate room off the kitchen. Really?? What were they thinking?

Old 06-08-2014, 06:11 PM

41,991 posts, read 75,262,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would prefer a nicely redone enclosed galley kitchen, like this:
The older I get, the more I'd like a nice long galley kitchen, preferably a 1950s retro kitchen.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:23 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,431,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibbar View Post
There was one "HGTV Dream House" a few years back that put the fridge in a small separate room off the kitchen. Really?? What were they thinking?
Unless it was a second fridge, they weren't.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:56 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,851,046 times
Quote:
Those people don't even get in my front door. The only people I let in are friends and family, and those necessary people, tradesmen, contractors, handy men, etc. who have to see the whole house.

In fact I'll reveal worse about myself. When the doorbell rings I look through the peep hole and if I'm not expecting anybody and it isn't a friend or relative I just go back to what I was doing and ignore them.

And yet worse: Phone me with no caller ID or "blocked" and I don't pick up, and I have the answering part switched off. People who need to contact me have my cell, my email or both. (I don't answer "blocked" on my cell either. But they go to voice mail and they are always calls I would have hung up on.)

My whole house is my personal space. Public ends at the front door.
I can see your side. At our current apartment its close space so you can see walls and walls but still see everything if you had to go to the bathroom because you walk right by every room. At our new house if the doorbell rang, i could close off every room and youd only see the living room.

I feel like Shrek in the movie. I need a wall around my land. ;D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate