Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 11:50 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times

Advertisements

Would you try for 2 houses 75K each
One that was entire amount?
Or several that were 15k or so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 04:30 AM

399 posts, read 568,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Me personally? 2 houses that were 75k/ each

Old 06-07-2014, 05:24 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:

If u had $150K to invest in rental property...
Go back three squares and confirm a few things:
1) that YOU (personally) have the skills needed to do all the upkeep,
most repairs and have done some remodeling level work successfully.
2) That you have solid contacts for real pro's in all these areas.
3) That you learn why using the term "investing" when referring to landlording is wrong.

Too many just don't appreciate the work involved...
and even fewer deals allow hiring anyone to do that work for you.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:41 AM

106,644 posts, read 108,790,719 times
real estate is only passive investing until its not. then it becomes a full time job or your worst night mare if you get stuck with a tenant who fell on hard times.

i always prefer special situation real estate like lease buyouts on stabilized co-ops or commercial lease rights. i never had much interest in just collecting some rent.

each area has special situation investing unique to it if you look. tax liens are another area of real estate investing that can be very profitable, but risky.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:03 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,315,764 times
Quote:
Where do you live?

Old 06-07-2014, 11:00 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Would you try for 2 houses 75K each...One that was entire amount?.......
It depends upon where you live.

Where I am, $150,000 will get you an ancient mobile home on its own land in a good area. It will be easy to rent and will hold its value. You'd have to screen really hard to get good tenants, but they are available. You'd have to go up to $250,000 to get a lower middle class 3 bedroom house. That would be easy to rent and would also hold its value well.

I know of places where $75,000 will get you an OK house that will rent OK.

Any place I know of that has houses for $15,000, I would not go into if you dragged me with a Sherman tank and gave me the houses for free. Very likely, you will be dealing with Section 8, and I don't do that, either.

Perhaps, OP, you could tell us what area of the country? That makes a huge difference.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:33 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
This topic is right down my alley. I'm in the last stage of doing the same thing, except with $300K.

Most important decision is location, location, location. I picked my market, I picked my archetype of the house I thought would rent well, and it turned out the average price was $225K. I put 25% down on each at an average APR of 4.75% and it cost maybe $63K to close, fix and rent each. I was left with just what I wanted, about $50K operating capital for my business.

I expect to recover my closing costs, repair costs and rental commissions between year 1 and year 2, and thereafter should get maybe $250-$300 each positive cash flow after income taxes, and not including mortgage pay down (a much larger profit than the cash flow). I won't know what my ROI is until perhaps 2-3 years but it's looking like I'll hit somewhere just below 10% per year (including positive cash flow and mortgage pay down).

Compare that with the 0.35% interest I'm getting in my money market account. Even better, my MM account is sure to be eroded by inflation. My houses on the other hand I see as inflation hedges. My lender owns 75% of each house and I have conventional 30 year fixed APR mortgages. Even considering the concept of inflation as applied to housing values* it's the bank that is taking the inflation hit. I take only 25% of the inflationary hit on my $225K house.

* Does inflation really affect housing values? Barring major market fluctuation and bubbles, housing values have tracked the valuation of the dollar fairly closely. Expressed in terms of the time value of money housing prices have hardly changed at all in decades, excepting what I stated above. That is why I call houses inflation hedges.

The cash flow and mortgage pay down are just two of the benefits of being a landlord. In terms of my needs I see the inflationary hedge as being a much larger benefit. The cash flow is just the gravy.

By the way, about location and being hooked up with the right people. I'll confess. I'm not smart at all. I'm a dummy! When you are a dummy there are two things you can do. (1) Be content to be a dummy. (2) Find a smart person and whatever they're doing, do the same thing.

My best buddy did the same 4 houses in the same zip code last year. I have his ROI figures: 10%. Like I said, he's much smarter than me when it comes to money. He calculated his ROI in advance. I won't know my ROI for sure until I measure it. He handed me his Realtor (I just love her!!!), his lender came hooked up with the Realtor, and he handed me his handy man and pool guy. It just happens that my cousin lives in that zip code and he handed me my final but important member of my team: my housekeeper who spit polishes the houses before they are shown to prospective renters. Me??? I have the check book and I change the locks!

So what was said earlier in the topic I agree, you need a good team to be a successful landlord. You need to either be a smart guy or know a smart guy who is willing to hold your hand (my BFF), and of course you need the seed money, the income (debt to income ratio) and a good FICO. 800 is a good number to start with although I've been assured that 740 is entirely sufficient to get the best investor rates.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:38 PM

Just to add on rather than edit my post, with my $300K in my market I was able to get 4 units. That means that chances are I can probably expect a worst case vacancy rate of 25%, or a horribly worst case of 50% vacancy rate. Even if I do experience a 50% vacancy rate I expect to have to pay in only a small amount and accept that my other two houses are not going to be making any profit until I get all for rented again. That is why the $50K operating capital. You DO NOT spend your entire wad on rental units! If you do that your first vacancy may put you in the ground.

Depending on your capital and your market your mileage may vary. I feel that 4 units in my market is a nice balance of quantity limiting vacancy rate, but not so many that I have to manage them full time. You may need a different mix to fit your market. Also, I live in Los Angeles which is definitely NOT my market. The formula will not work here. I had to drive 400 miles to find MY market.

Lucky for me I had a smart guy around! It's easy for a dummy to pretend he's a smart guy as long as he does everything the smart guy does. I do believe I have a good gut feeling for what will rent. That and the capital is what I brought to the deal.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:57 PM

304 posts, read 782,459 times
Quote:
Dam...$15k for a house? Wish I can get some at that price around my area. As it is, some apartments want more than that for a parking space.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:09 PM

There's houses that RENT for $15K/month in my area! (greater Los Angeles) Houses on my street rent for about $4K/month!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate