Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 11:06 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,155,156 times

Advertisements

You might be able to have the builder dig down a foot... That seems to be the common solution to increasing headroom space in a basement. Of course, the builder would have to eat all the cost involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 11:15 AM

40 posts, read 71,891 times
What would it cost to tear out the floor in a 1200 sq ft basement to dig it down? That sounds outrageously expensive and then I would have to wonder if that would make the floor more likely to crack up in the coming years. I know there's gravel poured under the concrete floor.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:22 AM

17,704 posts, read 29,791,770 times
1. Lawyer up.
2. Run away from this house.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:34 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,797,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land_Girl View Post
... the basement with the 9ft ceilings and because of that, we didn't raise the ceilings on the upstairs bedrooms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

[/i]I imagine the brokers and agents in their area know what's expected in that area. And it sounds like the OP consulted them when making decisions about upgrades based on what they said about every upgrade being chosen based on future marketability in that market.
You think the agents in her market told her to raise ceilings in the basement and to NOT raise ceilings throughout the rest of the house? More than likely the OP was selective on where to raise the ceilings with probably a general comment from the agents that it's better to have higher ceilings, and she chose where she wanted the higher ceilings. I can't imagine any agent suggesting someone building a house to have low ceilings. And this is a custom home, not a tract home.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
You think the agents in her market told her to raise ceilings in the basement and to NOT raise ceilings throughout the rest of the house? More than likely the OP was selective on where to raise the ceilings with probably a general comment from the agents that it's better to have higher ceilings, and she chose where she wanted the higher ceilings. I can't imagine any agent suggesting someone building a house to have low ceilings. And this is a custom home, not a tract home.
See my comment that followed. The master bedroom has cathedral ceiling and the living/dining/kitchen is 2 full stories with cathedral as well. Upstairs has 2 bedrooms and those are at 8ft and an open loft with high ceiling that overlooks greatroom. Only ceilings in the house that are at 8ft are those 2 "kid" bedrooms upstairs, the bathrooms, and the closets.

We did not think that the ceiling height in the 2 upstairs bedrooms would have that much affect on saleability and value. We went with upgrades like basement height, covered patio, fireplace, hardwood instead of carpet in living room, etc. Ceiling height in the kid rooms is pretty easy to overlook as the rooms are bright, have great views, and they have walk in closets.

Last edited by Land_Girl; 06-07-2014 at 12:01 PM..

Old 06-07-2014, 12:00 PM

43,258 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Is this in a subdivision where the builder can build again, and produce the home you want?
Is there another desirable basement lot available?

No chance I would want an excavated basement to get to 9 feet ceiling. No way on a new home.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:21 PM

It is in a subdivision, but it's one with 5-10 acre lots and this is the only lot in the sub that we liked. It has a pond and a mountain view. You can't see the mountains from any of the other lots. We're currently living at the base of the mountains but need to move to this other area about 60 miles away. To still be able to see the mountains out our windows is something we really want. Also, I don't think we want to go through this whole process again. We are suppose to close next month. Starting over would mean we don't close/move until December. If we don't go with this house, I would rather look at what is currently on the market. I have a job waiting for me over there and am anxious for us to get moved. I've already packed 1/2 my house.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
It is in a subdivision, but it's one with 5-10 acre lots and this is the only lot in the sub that we liked. It has a pond and a mountain view. You can't see the mountains from any of the other lots. We're currently living at the base of the mountains but need to move to this other area about 60 miles away. To still be able to see the mountains out our windows is something we really want. Also, I don't think we want to go through this whole process again. We are suppose to close next month. Starting over would mean we don't close/move until December. If we don't go with this house, I would rather look at what is currently on the market. I have a job waiting for me over there and am anxious for us to get moved. I've already packed 1/2 my house.
Maybe the builder would jack up the house, and raise it a foot to get you the headroom.
With close engineer supervision, of course.

House movers do that all the time, and I would certainly choose that approach over digging out the foundation footings and the basement floor.
It actually could put the finished floor elevation where you originally intended.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Maybe the builder would jack up the house, and raise it a foot to get you the headroom.
With close engineer supervision, of course.

House movers do that all the time, and I would certainly choose that approach over digging out the foundation footings and the basement floor.
It actually could put the finished floor elevation where you originally intended.
I thought about that as an option already and I think it would actually come out looking weird because the basement eagress windows would be so far down. It would also mean adding steps down to the patio which would take away usable surface space on the covered patio. I also don't think I can get my husband to go for jacking up the house. I don't think he would be ok with that, regardless of whether or not an engineer was overseeing the project.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I thought about that as an option already and I think it would actually come out looking weird because the basement eagress windows would be so far down. It would also mean adding steps down to the patio which would take away usable surface space on the covered patio. I also don't think I can get my husband to go for jacking up the house. I don't think he would be ok with that, regardless of whether or not an engineer was overseeing the project.
We do similar around here quite often.
They even moved the Hatteras Lighthouse about half a mile several years ago.

Anyway.... I feel for you folks and the mess you are involved in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate