Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 01:28 PM

324 posts, read 836,768 times

Advertisements

Definitely! We just bought our dream location/lot but the home... meh. Needs work. I can totally relate to your issue with the stairs at the entrance. Ours are the same. Only thing is here it doesn't matter because there's no walkway to the front door (in 25 years, no one thought to build one?) so it doesn't get used anyway. LOL

Prior to buying our current home, one of our supposed "deal breakers" was having the kids' rooms on the main floor and master bedroom up. Guess what? Turns out it's nice to retreat to our own spot at the end of the day and it's great that the kids have their rooms, and all their toys, easily accessible all the time. Point being, you'll adjust, and maybe even end up liking it.

If you have a good location, schools are good, etc. the rest can be worked around. There is no perfect home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 02:01 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
The only perfect house is the one you built after buying a vacant lot.
Not even then...sigh. We moved into a new build 4 months ago and there's *still* stuff I'd change.

But budget concerns constrain me.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:29 PM

28 posts, read 44,179 times
I feel much better about our decision! We can change some things in the house down the line.
Thank you for your thoughts and experiences!

Old 06-08-2014, 02:43 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwill711 View Post
We've been waiting a couple of years to buy a house in a specific neighbourhood, one that we didn't think we could get into on our modest budget. When a house in that area came up, we were so excited! Our offer was accepted, and pending the inspection, it's going to be ours.
There are many things we don't specifically like about the house though: the bathrooms are small, the main floor is kind of choppy, the stairs are almost literally in the entrance.
But the location is one we've dreamed about for awhile. The school we want to send our son to when he's older is at the end of our street. His daycare is a 15 minute WALK from the house.
Did we make the right decision? Anyone else buy a house for its location?
Location is the number one reason to buy any home. Everything else can be improved.

But it's much easier to sell a house with a fantastic kitchen and bathrooms even if the location stinks. Go figure.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:41 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Location. Location. Location.

Most other things can be fixed...or you can learn to put up with them.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:48 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
You definitely did the right thing. You can't change the location, but you can remodel or add on to a house. Congratulations. Now make it your own.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:19 PM

755 posts, read 1,118,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyWhnChasd View Post
Definitely! We just bought our dream location/lot but the home... meh. Needs work. I can totally relate to your issue with the stairs at the entrance. Ours are the same. Only thing is here it doesn't matter because there's no walkway to the front door (in 25 years, no one thought to build one?) so it doesn't get used anyway. LOL

Prior to buying our current home, one of our supposed "deal breakers" was having the kids' rooms on the main floor and master bedroom up. Guess what? Turns out it's nice to retreat to our own spot at the end of the day and it's great that the kids have their rooms, and all their toys, easily accessible all the time. Point being, you'll adjust, and maybe even end up liking it.

If you have a good location, schools are good, etc. the rest can be worked around. There is no perfect home!
Wow, same for us! We bought a pretty house in a dream location with a big front door and NO front walkway!! So strange. So one of the projects we've done so far is to extend the drive to the front of the house and build a walkway to the front door!

Same, too, for wanting the bedrooms all on one floor (it was an absolute must have), and agreeing that --surprise-- kids get bigger, don't need us right there, and having the master downstairs is kind of nice in many ways. Though still not my preference, it has its upsides.

As for revising the entryway/stairway issue, we have a version of that issue too. I like an entryway--even if it's not the way we come into the house most often. Our stairs are in an odd position and will be difficult to move without making changes to the roofline itself. In 3 1/2 years in this house. I've gone through several different "solutions" that will work for the way we live. We will probably bump out the front door as far as we can and leave the stairs where they are....not perfect but better.

Bathrooms might be a bit tougher, but sometimes just updating them makes the smaller size less objectionable.

Sometimes you have to live in a place for awhile before you know what you can just live with (that you thought you couldn't at first) and what's really worth fixing/changing. As above, my vote is for adding an entryway if that's possible rather than moving stairs, but you never know!

Our house is not only NOT my dreamhouse, but we bought it one week before we were supposed to break ground to build my perfect dreamhouse. This location is FAR superior and we never dreamed we would be able to buy in this area. The house itself is very odd, very quirky (not just not my dreamhouse, but apparently not anyone's dreamhouse based on how long it sat on the market).

So location has trumped everything else for us, and little by little we have dealt with the issues we can't live with, and learned to get used to the others. Driving home to this location wipes a lot of the other "downsides" away!

I think you have done the smart, practical thing as long as the house is livable as-is. Congratulations on getting into the location you had wanted, and for recognizing it's a smart move!

Take your time in deciding what changes to make so that you make smart decisions that will increase your enjoyment of the home as well as its resale value.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:54 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,028 times
Adding a front walkway is beneficial in several ways...including curb appeal and security. Curve it a little if you can; it's more attractive that a dead straight on (IMO).

Old 06-08-2014, 04:59 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Location. Location. Location.

Most other things can be fixed...or you can learn to put up with them.
Bah! Location can be fixed. (1) sell home. (2) buy new home in more desirable location.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:05 PM

1,539 posts, read 2,303,445 times
I *always* buy houses for their location and never regret it! A house is so much more than the walls around you, you are creating a new life for your family. Its typical to feel some (TONS!) of anxiety and second guessing when buying a house. Neighborhood first, house second; every time for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate