Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 11:50 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,408,720 times

Advertisements

get a pet serval
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 11:58 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,114,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Squirrels Taste Better.
You've had rat?

Old 06-12-2014, 12:02 PM

No matter what you say about a rat infestation, you either have to murder them or you have to relocate them. My bet is that there would be hell to pay from the authorities if you let them into the wild.

From what I hear about turning cattle into nicely packaged steaks the cows go through hell, so if you're worried about how rats die how about giving some thought to how cattle are executed.

A hammer on the head of a rat or a bullet to the head of a cow sounds like it wouldn't hurt for long.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Why do people think squirrels are cute and rats are disgusting? Main difference I can see is that bushy tail.
Squirrels are bushy tailed rats, pigeons are flying rats.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:46 PM

+1

I hate pigeons. I hate people who feed them because they attract them, and then the birds leave poop all over my stuff.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:59 PM

730 posts, read 1,301,918 times
From personal experience, having bought a house that had a hidden rodent (rats AND mice!) infestation: This IS a job for a good professional. Even after the rodents are gotten rid of, and the building secured against re-entry (this includes revamping the exterior to eliminate places where rodents like to hide) you have no idea how much filth can accumulate behind walls and ceilings where rats and mice have been active. There will be acorns (if any oaks nearby), seeds, foodstuffs and oh yes: rodent droppings, which can cause hantavirus (which is fatal) if the virus gets into the air and inhaled (as in, during repair or remodeling).

That's why the CDC has a set of protocols for repairing a rodent-infested building; they involve full hazmat suits and a Darth-Vader quality respirator, as well as a disinfectant solution.

This sort of thing is not cheap. Personally I would run the other way at the mention of rodents in the report, having gone through a nightmare remediating such a situation that was NOT detected. But if you do buy, I would definitely want several thousand dollars held in escrow against repairs etc.

Rodents also chew electrical wiring and PEX plumbing lines. PEX tastes like sugar to them. So a good electrical inspection behind walls/ceiling is a smart idea. Plumbing too, if any are PEX.

ETA: If the previous owners had bird feeders, you can bet your bottom dollar that the house had more than just a couple of mice. Bird feeders are rodent magnets. I used to feed birds; I never would anymore.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:00 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,375,112 times
Default Depends on whether the house was occupied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubchub68 View Post
We just got our inspection done on the potential investment property in Austin, TX. The only thing that was of concern was "There is evidence of rodent / varmint type activity in the attic in a number of areas". Should we buy this house, if so how can rodent activity be removed/controlled?

Thanks!
I've had rodents and vermin vamoose when the building becomes occupied, particularly rats.
So things do change.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:21 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,239,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubchub68 View Post
We just got our inspection done on the potential investment property in Austin, TX. The only thing that was of concern was "There is evidence of rodent / varmint type activity in the attic in a number of areas". Should we buy this house, if so how can rodent activity be removed/controlled?

Thanks!
yep get a cat or two and your rodent problem is history.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
yep get a cat or two and your rodent problem is history.
Cats do hazardous waste removal and disposal?

Old 06-12-2014, 06:07 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,239,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Cats do hazardous waste removal and disposal?
well they usually don't remove them, more like either slaughter them in the backyard so you have a little body farm going out there, or they bring them inside at night and drop them on your bed while they're still alive, the better they can escape and run, half mauled, around your bedroom and spray blood everywhere, then hide and die and decompose.

No more rat, either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate