Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Home seller seeking advice on listing, home décor 1980’s, realtor says nothing wrong with home, dated kitchen, advice on how to get home sold

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 07:16 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,519,419 times

Advertisements

We put a lot of money into this house already. All new carpet and a new wood kitchen floor.We re did the shower to make it a full body shower and painted the pink bathroom a light color. The livingroom is bigger then it looks in the slide show I just like the grouping of furniture to be cozy so we are not yelling back and forth. The big picture is in one of my guest rooms over a king size bed we have very big bed rooms but I will try other pictures.I will look around the house again and talk to my realtor also.We just got back from NC at our new home trying to put that together.Fun. We also have three different selling prices and I think we will try the next one in a month.
Did you all see the slide show or just the pictures on realtor.com?Thanks for your input keep it coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Ok, looking at, comparibles, historicals, dated interior, deteriation of housing market, being in florida...

Even though your house is larger in sq ft to comparibles, you are still priced above what they sold for by a good margin. Take in account your going to need to deduct aro 5-10K for an updated kitchen.

You also asked zillow why 5316 was priced more when you have more sq ft. Have you gone in their house? Is it updated? Your isn't. That could be a big factor.

Most likely your going to take a loss on this house from when you bought it (including front and back closing costs, realtor fees, etc...)

What is your bottom line for what you can sell? I suggest you get close to that # and don't get cute here w/price.....the market is getting WORSE not getting better. People say it here a million times. Get aggressive now before its too late. Good luck

Just my blunt .02

I did that because that house was a mess and at the time Zillow didn't get their act together. They did lower that homes price though.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:37 PM

345 posts, read 1,578,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
What is wrong with my home? Last realtor and my new one says nothing.I asked my new realtor I was worried about the dated Kitchen and she said why you have all new stainless steel appliances and the rest is fine.To me it is 1980 fine but she said you can always give them some money stated in the contract for updates and let them fix it to their taste.This home I would love to see a sold sign on it. MLS on realtor.com is 7317438. Help.

hi, sorry for my lack of talent, but how does one enter an MLS # on realtor.com i could not find an area to type it in... thanks.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:41 PM

335 posts, read 1,180,934 times
Quote:
but how does one enter an MLS # on realtor.com
click on Advanced search and scroll to the very bottom and you can enter the mls #.

Liz

Old 12-16-2007, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
As someone who doesn't live in Florida and isn't a RE agent but who plans to buy soon....here's what leaped out at me.

* Dated interior
* House looked cramped; I'm sure if it was empty it would look spacious but a buyer might not be able to imagine their furniture in the house. Maybe there are some pieces you could put in storage, in an attic, at a friend's house, etc?
* The kitchen is very dated, it's something I would want to replace first thing. I wouldn't expect a seller to re-do the kitchen because the kitchen they choose might be something I don't like, but I'd definitely knock money off the offer for it.
* One of the bathrooms has what appears to be a pink suite, i.e. pink tub, pink sink, pink toilet. While I'm sure they are all in tip-top working condition, it's something I'd get rid of right away and would knock money off my offer over it.
* The kitchen to me is too small and that's a deal-breaker. Some people don't mind a small kitchen though.
* The appliances are great; if they're included in the price then to me that's a good thing.
* The cabinetry in the master bath also looks dated and buyers probably think it needs to be replaced
* There is one room with dark green walls. Paint it a light cream color.

I can't tell what the condition of the carpeting is, but if it's as old as the house it will need to be replaced. Buyers may come away from the house thinking there's too much to do.

It IS a pretty house, clean, tidy. There's good potential there. It's not something I'd buy, but that's because it's a little too small (can't be helped), the kitchen is too small (can't be helped), and it has a pool (can't be helped). It's not right for me, but that doesn't mean it's not right for anyone.

I really hope you find a buyer soon.
All of the appliances go with the house including the washer annd dryer which are the front loaders.I think our house is big it is 2200 sq ft.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero View Post
You have such a beautiful house. I love it as it is and would not recommend putting more money into the house especially with this market. It's not 100% perfect but the buyer can make the changes once they buy it.

I like Mike's suggestion. You might get more attention if you bring it below the psychological cut off of 250,000.

In case you're interested, I'm saying this from a first time buyer perspective.

That is our plan but we just got a new realtor and she said $259,000 was a good price and showed us the comps I questioned her since I saw some lower and she said they had less sq feet and no consevation area behind them or no pool. Since this is a slow month I will let it stay untill next month.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
As a buyer I'd assume that any area rug over existing carpeting is there to cover up something that the seller doesn't want me to see...so I'd pick it up and look underneath it.

If a house needs new carpets, the cost is getting taken out of any offer; doesn't matter if they cover it up with an area rug or not. I just sold a house this year so I read up on the tricks.
For the life of me I had no idea what area rug you were talking about. I then went outside to watch TV and it came to me. That is in our third bedroom and it in front of the sleeper.I just wanted to add some color.Long day it has been and we just drove 10 hrs back from NC.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:05 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,273,331 times
Without knowing anything about your market, I have to agree that the kitchen and bathrooms look dated and if you are competing with new construction that will probably be a deal breaker for most people. The problem here in Atlanta is that every buyer has so many options in every price range that even if there's "nothing wrong" with a house, it simply may not sell because someone else is more desperate to sell their home and is willing to price it low enough to get it done.

I think the house is "fine" and that in order to make it significantly more appealing you'd definitely need to hire a good professional stager and might have to get into significant updates (kitchens and baths sell homes and both your kitchen and bathrooms are outdated). If you don't want to get into making a lot of potentially costly changes, and if you have already bought a home in another state and you don't want to lease out the house until the market improves, I think your best bet is to start lowering the price until you find the point where the market bites.

I would definitely lower it under the $250k mark -- most buyers start their search online (like realtor.com) and most online property searches use predetermined price ranges. By having your home priced at $259,900 you are automatically excluding all those buyers who are searching for homes priced up to $250k. Even though you might be willing to take under $259,900, all those buyers won't even see your property because it will fall outside their search range.

Also remember, the longer your home is on the market, the more likely it is to become stigmatized. There's an axiom, "Everybody wants what everybody wants and nobody wants what nobody wants." Buyers generally have the impression that something must be wrong with a house if it's been on the market too long. The longer it stays unsold, the lower the eventual price you are likely to sell it for.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:29 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,884 times
Quote:
All of the appliances go with the house including the washer annd dryer which are the front loaders.I think our house is big it is 2200 sq ft.
I think "big" depends on your needs and circumstances. If it was just me living there, it'd be huge...but when we do buy a house it'll be me, my BF, whatever kids we have, and his two daughters on weekends. Plus, we will need office space. We're going to need either the best most clever layout on the planet or lots of square footage.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:30 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,884 times
Quote:
For the life of me I had no idea what area rug you were talking about. I then went outside to watch TV and it came to me. That is in our third bedroom and it in front of the sleeper.I just wanted to add some color.Long day it has been and we just drove 10 hrs back from NC.
I was not referring to anything specific in your house but to a suggestion that someone else made, which was to cover up any worn or stained areas on the carpet with an area rug. It's not possible to determine the state of the carpet in the house from the photos, and anyway you said it's new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate