U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you buy a house in the corner of a busy road?
Yes 5 8.20%
No 49 80.33%
Maybe (Please explain) 7 11.48%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 12:47 AM

843 posts, read 1,600,352 times

Advertisements

The house we are considering is located on the corner of a busy road. It fronts the small road that enters the neighborhood and is located some 50' from the busy road. Once inside you don't hear the cars, but you do in the backyard.

I am wondering how bad would it be. Does anyone have any similar experience? We do have grade school kids that'd love to play outside.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 01:37 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,230,895 times
Hi There!

I guess it depends how you define 'busy' and what the speed limit is.

We live on a kind of busy street since it is the main street into our subdivision. However, the speed limit is 25mph and it is really only busy in the mornings and afternoons as people are going to work and coming home and when the school buses come through. From inside the house, we never hear any traffic noise and from our backyard we hear very little.

However, when my boys get older I would be hesitant to let them play out the front in the afternoons when the street is at it's busiest. I wouldn't want them running across the street for any reason.

If in your case you're talking about a busy road as in something with almost constant traffic and 40mph+ I would personally not consider it. Even though you can't hear it from inside the house, if you wanted to spend any time in the backyard at all it may make it an unpleasant experience. Think about being out the back while your kids are playing, or grilling and eating on the patio, or gardening. You may get used to the noise but it also may be obtrusive.

I would ask to view the home around 5 or 5:30pm when the road is likely at its busiest. Sit in the backyard for a half hour and see if the noise is something you could live with while enjoying your backyard.

Also, if this isn't to be your forever home, you may want to factor in that this house may be hard for you to resell as the busy road would be offputting to many.

The house at the very end of my street (the beginning of our subdivision) corners my street and a main road. It's fairly priced and is beautiful inside and out... But it's been on the market much longer than anything else in the subdivision (houses seem to be moving fairly quickly here whereas this house has been on the market for months). I have no doubt that it is still for sale because it corners a main road, and being a family oriented area, young families with children especially probably find it a turn off.

Good Luck to you!

Old 06-17-2014, 01:47 AM

5,625 posts, read 6,079,711 times
Can you fence in your front yard? Maybe thats an option?

Old 06-17-2014, 06:45 AM

843 posts, read 1,600,352 times
Yes, a fence is a possibility.

glamatomic: That's what I'm concerned about. I know my kids would not go into the busy road, but how intrusive would the road noise get.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:01 AM

487 posts, read 678,986 times
Road noise keeps us out of our 1/2 acre back yard and on our front porch probably 80% of the time for the last 14 years. I would never buy again backing up to a busy road. EVER.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:28 AM

306 posts, read 482,377 times
I looked at a house that I eventually dismissed purely for the fact it was on a busy road... In this house you could not hear the cars or anything inside the house if they were normal cars...

What you will hear is those idiots who feel their car stereo's should be felt for blocks or that mufflers are an optional vehicle accessory - Yes, you get that occasionally on a normal street but a busy street is going to have far more cars passing with *******s behind the wheel who don't care that their noise is annoying. For me, that was just not something I want to deal with.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:33 AM

6,100 posts, read 6,959,844 times
Daily, I drive on a residential street that is commonly used by drivers to get from one side of town to the other. The road has a 25mph speed limit and there are three four-way stop signs along this 2 mile stretch of road lined with beautiful homes valued at $400k-$500k. Even though it moves slowly, traffic is constant. There are currently five homes listed for sale, and I often comment to my husband that I would never even consider buying a home on that road.

I don't think there are any "pros" to buying a corner lot on a busy road. Buying a corner lot may mean your lot is larger than others within the neighborhood. But with it being on a busy road, that may take away any added value.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:04 AM

5,075 posts, read 9,889,104 times
Busy roads are a negative that isn't fixable, so the house will always have the problem. Unlike an outdated kitchen you can't just decide one day you don't like it and spend a few $$ to solve it.

Think carefully about your long term plan for the house. Most people are fine living near a busy road for a while, but get tired of it later. If the house has rental potential and you can lease it out at a profit that's a good out that doesn't involve selling the house. It's always going to be difficult to sell, so getting yourself in a situation where you have to sell is best avoided.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:11 AM

340 posts, read 593,789 times
My parents lived on a busy corner for about 5 years. We visited occasionally for a few days or a few weeks here and there. Dad had to put up a 8' tall privacy fence, and I was always paranoid about the cars and pedestrians going by (I'm all about situation awareness). Didn't help that it was a lower-middle class/upper lower-class neighborhood with a Section 8 apartment complex a few blocks away. I worried that there'd be a wreck and a vehicle would come crashing into the living room (not far-fetched if you watch the news!).

I would never buy on a busy corner.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:03 PM

11,514 posts, read 8,863,298 times
No, mostly because of the Harley Davidson motorcycle riders. The exhaust noise is excessively loud. I would not however be one of those types who goes and buys a house along said road and then petitions the city council to lower the speed limit which is what happens in some areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate