Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 08:39 AM

6,817 posts, read 11,545,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
If you are over 30, it is time to be an adult and hire proper movers.
This. One of the signs of accepting middle age. Another one: taking a long driving trip and stopping in a motel instead of driving straight through 20plus hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 09:22 AM

974 posts, read 1,899,079 times
Consider the $500+ a gift to yourself on purchasing your new home:

* You're taking away the work and worry of moving day.

* You can enjoy the move-in with your child and take pics of their new home!

* You can have enough energy at the end of the move to celebrate your achievements.

* You can supervise furniture and box placement so you can unpack with more energy and get settled faster.

* You can host your home warming party sooner and start inviting friends and family over with places to sit.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:33 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
Pay for a 10 minute move? Unless your house equals the contents of the Smithsonian or you are disabled that is insane.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:43 AM

22 posts, read 34,492 times
Contrary to almost everybody replied, I would suggest the OP do it themselves, but not families/friends/their trucks.

Pack; rent a truck; load; unload; unpack; done!

Why?

Because there is barely anything an adult can't move easily (a bed, a crib, a few dressers, and boxes). Two adults? Then it's a piece of cake! I'm sure a baby can be easily handled for a very short period time (when it really calls 2 to move the heavier stuffs)?

Old 06-24-2014, 11:06 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwill711 View Post
The numerous times my husband and I have moved over the years were done with the help of family and friends and their trucks.
What happened to the family and friends today ???

Dang for a 10 minute drive (I assume, drive, not walk) you do not even need truckS
One will do !
<<<1 bed and 1 crib, a few dressers and the rest will mostly be boxes>>>

Unless you are old and feeble ...

So, instead of hiring movers for 500 hard earned dollars, ask friends, neighbours, family
and then treat them to a nice BBQ after you have settled down !
I doubt if that will cost you 500 bucks !

Last edited by irman; 06-24-2014 at 11:14 AM..

Old 06-24-2014, 11:59 AM

188 posts, read 358,215 times
We have moved several times and it usually runs about $700-900 and it's just the 2 of us. We fill an entire 26 foot truck packed tight. We also provide, drinks, lunch and a tip.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:04 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
I'm sure there are cases where professional movers are well worth it but in the OP's case I'd say move it themselves. Rent a truck and get a friend or relative to watch the kid. Geez, they said there aren't any appliances and doesn't sound like much heavy stuff to move. A bed and a few dressers. Dressers, with drawers removed, are usually not that heavy. The top mattress is the hardest item, not so much the weight but the size and awkwardness. Unless you are a total buffoon you should be able to move most household items without injuring yourself or breaking stuff. 90% of the work is boxing things up and unpacking, and you have to do that anyway.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:10 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,591 times
One thing I'll say in favor of movers is that it's nice to have someone else take your furniture and appliances apart and put them back together at the new house. The movers I hired had to take the doors off my fridge to get it outside, and they hooked it and the washer and dryer up when we got to the new house.

I've moved my sister 3 times and helped others move in the past. It was nice to pay someone to get it done for once. If I move again, I might do it myself. It just depends on how I'm feeling that week. If it costs $700-900 like someone said, heck no, I'm doing it.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:01 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Moving in town with not a lot of stuff (especially with no appliances), I wouldn't. Moving a lot of stuff or moving cross country, I absolutely would, and would consider it well spent.

When I moved the last time, I moved all my small belongings in my car myself, and then borrowed a few family members, one of whom had a truck/trailer to move the few large items. One afternoon, some drinks and food, and we were done. Total cost, around $50 worth of fuel and food.

When my mom moved the last time, she filled 3 of the largest moving vans available, and it was a local move, so she moved a lot of the small stuff herself on top of the 3 vans. I don't know what the total cost was, but I guarantee you she felt her money was well spent.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:07 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilian View Post
Contrary to almost everybody replied, I would suggest the OP do it themselves, but not families/friends/their trucks.

Pack; rent a truck; load; unload; unpack; done!

Why?

Because there is barely anything an adult can't move easily (a bed, a crib, a few dressers, and boxes). Two adults? Then it's a piece of cake! I'm sure a baby can be easily handled for a very short period time (when it really calls 2 to move the heavier stuffs)?
Do you have a child? Do you have any belongings whatsoever? Judging by your response, I think not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate