Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 12:04 PM

741 posts, read 1,750,319 times

Advertisements

My builder is planning to close the house on July 15th. Walkthrough with myself and the realtor is scheduled for July 11.

Do you think it is a good idea to hire a third party inspector inspect the house prior to walkthrough or is it better to have the inspector inspect the house during the walkthrough. I am thinking if the inspector inspects the house prior to the walkthrough (provided they have appointment), there would be enough time to identify and fix the repairs. Or is it still better to have the inspector inspects the house after walkthrough (say July 14 evening) to make sure the repairs are fixed? What if the inspector finds more repairs on July 14 (that we did not identify on July 11)... If that happens would builder extend the closing date and fix the repairs.

Please advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 12:56 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Out here most buyers rehire the home inspector to come back and reinspect repair work, but most repairs are required to be done a week before closing to ensure the seller time to fix something that didn't get done.

For new builds, the inspector comes back to reinspect repairs called out for the punch list, but the builder has 7 days after close of escrow to get them done if the buyer choses to move forward and close.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:56 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
It can take a few days to get the results of your inspection. I would set it up in advance.

Actually it's a good idea to BE THERE during your inspection, and walk through later too.

I'd rather have my final walk through day before closing. YMMV

Inspectors often charge less for a reinspection of just the bad items. Sometimes free -- I had that happen once.

Old 07-05-2014, 02:11 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
With most property resales, there are generally two different inspections for two different and unique purposes.

The formal (paid) inspection is conducted earlier in the sales process to verify that there is no concealed damage; giving the buyer an opportunity to renegotiate necessary repairs or financial concessions.

The final walk-through inspection is conducted just prior to closing to verify that nothing has changed in the property condition and that things that the seller expected to be part of the sale are there (appliances, window treatments, etc).

In the case of a new property, one is wise to inspect or have a professional inspect the property during the building process, to ensure that specified building standards are met. An inspection just prior to closing will help one determine that all of the final finishes are as represented. However, most builders will honor a 'punch list' of repairs and fixes for 30-60 days following owner occupancy. (Make sure this is included as part of your sales agreement).

Old 07-05-2014, 02:15 PM

501 posts, read 1,049,934 times
A lot of builders will tell you that you do not need to hire an outside inspector to inspect your new property. However, you have to remember that their project manager will be extremely biased, and might try to pass some things off that do need to be done.

For a nominal fee (400-500 dollars), you can have independent representation for your dealings. I always recommend that my clients hire an inspector, regardless of what type of purchase it is. It puts onus upon the builder to do it right.

Old 07-05-2014, 02:24 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
With most property resales, there are generally two different inspections for two different and unique purposes.

The formal (paid) inspection is conducted earlier in the sales process to verify that there is no concealed damage; giving the buyer an opportunity to renegotiate necessary repairs or financial concessions.

The final walk-through inspection is conducted just prior to closing to verify that nothing has changed in the property condition and that things that the seller expected to be part of the sale are there (appliances, window treatments, etc).

In the case of a new property, one is wise to inspect or have a professional inspect the property during the building process, to ensure that specified building standards are met. An inspection just prior to closing will help one determine that all of the final finishes are as represented. However, most builders will honor a 'punch list' of repairs and fixes for 30-60 days following owner occupancy. (Make sure this is included as part of your sales agreement).
Nice post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshardin View Post
A lot of builders will tell you that you do not need to hire an outside inspector to inspect your new property. However, you have to remember that their project manager will be extremely biased, and might try to pass some things off that do need to be done.

For a nominal fee (400-500 dollars), you can have independent representation for your dealings. I always recommend that my clients hire an inspector, regardless of what type of purchase it is. It puts onus upon the builder to do it right.
Good advice!

Old 07-05-2014, 03:41 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
Indeed, the inspection period (or whatever they call it elsewhere) is early in the process. The final walk through is for the purpose of determining if the property is in substantially the same condition as in when the offer was made. Obviously for a new build that criteria isn't applicable and your state law (and your contract) may make that moot.

Common practice dictates that there are milestones along the way for inspections in new construction. Did the home pass the pre-drywall phase or any others?

Old 07-06-2014, 08:46 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
I would hire an independent inspector.

Also, most builders have 1 year full warranties. Hire another inspection at 11 months to find any additional problems that crop up and put in your repair request before the 1 year expiration.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:41 AM

741 posts, read 1,750,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Indeed, the inspection period (or whatever they call it elsewhere) is early in the process. The final walk through is for the purpose of determining if the property is in substantially the same condition as in when the offer was made. Obviously for a new build that criteria isn't applicable and your state law (and your contract) may make that moot.

Common practice dictates that there are milestones along the way for inspections in new construction. Did the home pass the pre-drywall phase or any others?
I had an independent inspector perform the pre-drywall inspection...

Also the builder passed the pre-drywall phase inspections.

Since walk through is planned to be performed on Friday, July 11 with me, builder and realtor...
I am wondering if it would make sense to have the independent inspector perform the closing inspection before July 11 walkthrough and come back and validate the repairs at a later date (after all the repairs have been completed by the builder even it means 30 days after move in date)

However, my realtor is suggesting that the independent inspector perform the inspection after July 11 (say July 14 - a day before closing). The realtor also suggests that "after I move in, builder would give me a form to list any other flaws that I find during my first 30 days. Once I turn that in, they will schedule an appointment to come fix anything. There is no reason to pay for another inspection. "

Is the realtor's suggestion in right direction

Old 07-06-2014, 06:44 PM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post
My builder is planning to close the house on July 15th. Walkthrough with myself and the realtor is scheduled for July 11.

Do you think it is a good idea to hire a third party inspector inspect the house prior to walkthrough or is it better to have the inspector inspect the house during the walkthrough. I am thinking if the inspector inspects the house prior to the walkthrough (provided they have appointment), there would be enough time to identify and fix the repairs. Or is it still better to have the inspector inspects the house after walkthrough (say July 14 evening) to make sure the repairs are fixed? What if the inspector finds more repairs on July 14 (that we did not identify on July 11)... If that happens would builder extend the closing date and fix the repairs.

Please advice.
I would recommend you have the inspection performed two to three days before your walk through if at all possible. That will provide time to have the inspections, the report written, and for you to review the results and speak with the Inspector about any questions you have. You can then bring the inspection result concerns to the attention of the builder at your walk through with the builder. Provided your walk through is sufficiently before the closing this also provides the builder time to correct any issues you have and those that were found on the inspection. By waiting to provide the builder with a list of defects after closing and possession you may lose some leverage to have these repaired to your satisfaction. If nothing else the list of repairs have been identified and if your laws allow you might be able to add them as closing exceptions. Check with an Attorney for this.

You should closely read your contract with the builder to determine if there are any statements in there regarding what they would accept as issues for correction that have not been brought to their attention during your walk through or prior to that. You should also read your contract and any addendum regarding third party inspections and what the builder will respond to for items that are found on the third party inspection. Also since this is a new build your Inspector should be citing in their report any building code references, manufacturer's requirements (yes even for materials used when requirements are available), as well as local requirements and any other relevant standards that are available. Those citations are what you will need to provide the builder to display that an item found is not correct and requires correction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate