Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 07:20 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times

Advertisements

Using the pool?????????????? OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 07:23 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Out of all the houses I looked at I had one that as soon as I drove up I knew I wanted it. Stepped through the door and it was like having it written in stone. I lost the house bid because the other guy was putting down 50%. I didn't want to go that high but I was willing to give her the 60 days at no rent back if she took my bid ( she was a elderly lady and her son wasn't able to come out for a while) that was a verbal heads up condition. Didn't matter to me because I own already and I was willing to make the concession
But that's ok eventually when I get back in house hunting I'll find something. As it is I'm actually glad I didn't get it. It would of added 30 miles to my already 27 mile one way commute.

Other than that I can tell really quickly if I'm interested or not. I take about 30 minutes looking around. Maybe 45. The most was a hour but it was a relatively big house

Old 07-09-2014, 08:40 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,640 times
We had one couple take two hours on two separate occasions in a week...only to offer $100K below asking. Then when we didn't even dignify that one, they came back for another two hour tour. I don't know what they were looking at or for. They slowly raised their offer, $5K here, $10K there...plus they had to sell their old house first.

Fortunately between one of their visits and the next, another couple came, offering only $25K under asking with no house to sell and we countered at $10K under. Sold! Only then did the first couple offer the asking price but we were so sick of their nonsense that we stuck to the 2nd couple's offer.

My husband and I can decide quickly if we don't want a place. But even though our choice may take a bit longer...we see the house and then go have lunch to talk it over. We don't keep the owners' out of their own place for hours and hours while we dither.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:57 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Selling and buying in 2012 was eye opening for me. When were selling, we tended to think that a longer showing meant that the lookers were interested in our house. Once we came back after out 2 hour window and the lookers were still around. We drove by again, and they were outside talking amongst themselves and the realtor in our driveway. We drove by again, and they were still there. And again, and they still talked outside. I thought at first that they must like our lot and the house, but I began to notice that they seemed to be just talking.

I think really they were talking about their home search but had probably ruled out our house. At any rate, it was really thoughtless of them to tie up the house past the agreed upon "window." I almost suggested that we simply drive down our driveway and come home.

When we were searching, our realtor would allow us time to look, but even after we had nixed the house, she would sit down and proceed to make calls on her phone. So, at least a couple of times, we waited for her to do some business even though we weren't interested in the house we were standing in.

Lots of things can tie up a showing. I think it is just part of the experience, and one hopes that the experience leads to a home sale or purchase.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:18 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,932,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Our current house purchased in 2011.
Under 10 seconds to make the decision.
Under 5 mins to check out the house.
3473 West Moncrieff Place, Denver, CO

Two hours is crazy.
Wow, that place looks European. It could have been located in my neighborhood. Good to see you are progressing in building and interior style, even in Colorado. Has it been build according to European quality standards as well?

Sales are very slow in the crisis, I know many people would be happy with a two hour showing whereas in the past like 10 couples would be bidding prices at a showing. I don't think it is so bad how things are now from a buyers perspective.

Last edited by drro; 07-10-2014 at 04:08 AM..

Old 07-10-2014, 06:17 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times
Four houses - 2 we knew when we opened the door and made an offer before leaving within the next 30 minutes. I did go back and back to the second one - it was empty and I absolutely thought that was the greatest house ever. Still do. One house we moved to for convenience and already knew the house, layout and owners. No-brainer, but I never did like that house. This one - brought in kicking and screaming - looked at it about 3 times, still screaming (beloved spouse just HAD to have it). 7 years later - yep, you got it - I'm still screaming....

This house just did not resonate with me, and I think if I'd been given a couple of hours I could have come up with a (lengthy) list of why it was a lousy purchase for us. I seriously doubt it would have mattered, though.....sometimes you just can't fight the BS (Beloved Spouse).

Old 07-10-2014, 07:01 AM

404 posts, read 898,019 times
There is nothing wrong with having a note in a clear plastic easel (Staples) on the kitchen counter that says:

We work from home
and
we have left for 15 minutes
for the scheduled showing.
Please limit your stay to 15 minutes.
Also please be aware every room in our home
is monitored by video camera.
Thank you.

-

Old 07-10-2014, 07:29 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv28 View Post
There is nothing wrong with having a note in a clear plastic easel (Staples) on the kitchen counter that says:

We work from home
and
we have left for 15 minutes
for the scheduled showing.
Please limit your stay to 15 minutes.
Also please be aware every room in our home
is monitored by video camera.
Thank you.

-
Hey, I've never spent more than 10 minutes in the home for a showing (certainly longer for an inspection), but if I came across that note, I wouldn't buy the house. It comes across as rude, demeaning, and untrusting. I wouldn't buy a house from someone like that, out of spite.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:40 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
I had someone take 1.5 hours for a showing of my house....and it was for a one year RENTAL!!

Old 07-10-2014, 08:01 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,083 times
Two hour viewing? Hmmmm VIDEO: NJ man who caught Realtors using home for sex: 'They used our home as a cheap motel' | NJ.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate