Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 10:12 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times

Advertisements

Not that it matters, but I've never thrown a house warming party for myself. Not in a rental and not in either of the 2 homes I've owned so far. I'm thinking about doing something for my new home - under construction and that I will move into in December. Not for gifts but because I think it's going to be so gorgeous I want more people to get a chance to admire it! of course it's tacky to say no gifts on an invitation, so I'm not sure how I'll handle that part of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 10:14 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Not that it matters, but I've never thrown a house warming party for myself. Not in a rental and not in either of the 2 homes I've owned so far. I'm thinking about doing something for my new home - under construction and that I will move into in December. Not for gifts but because I think it's going to be so gorgeous I want more people to get a chance to admire it! of course it's tacky to say no gifts on an invitation, so I'm not sure how I'll handle that part of it.
If you really want to show it off, then just have a cookout on a holiday, like Labor Day. DON'T call it a housewarming.

No one will assume they are to bring gifts. And if you're inviting the OP, better not make it potluck!!

Old 07-12-2014, 11:23 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,993,765 times
Are you new to the area? Maybe it's a cultural thing.

Every housewarming party I have been to has been for a rental, and there was not a single gift at any of them.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:30 AM

494 posts, read 849,700 times
To the OP, would it be acceptable to you if they didn't have to sublet rooms? Why do you care how they managed to afford to get into the house. It seems odd that you are focused on the rental and odder that you care how they are making ends meet and what they can "afford". You don't sound like you like these people very much. I'd skip the party.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:43 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
bring them a package of venison, even if its frozen,,thats my house-warming go to gift- if they don't want it,,,then you take it home..

I think the gift giving has gone too damn far,,,

ive taken myself off the marriage invite list,,, there should be an etiquette rule, if the marriage goes to hell within 5 years,,,then you have to return the gift value in money-
im done with giving nice gifts,,,,and they break up within a year,,

although an open bar reception might still get me there

Old 07-12-2014, 11:55 AM

376 posts, read 598,785 times
People can throw parties for whatever reason or no reason at all. Though I'm not the partying type, didn't even host a house warming party for my first house.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:46 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
I suspect some of the people here who say it is snobbish to suggest otherwise are the same people who would do this or have done it. :-)

According to etiquettehell.com it is not appropriate to call it a house warming party. That does typically signify home OWNERSHIP, not renting a place you can only afford due to subletting extra rooms.

House warming party, is this acceptable?

But hey, if you guys are OK with it, just let me know when your potluck wedding is. I'll be sure to bring a bucket of ramen to celebrate you :P
With this attitude, why did you post to ask?

Old 07-12-2014, 01:48 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
They should invite me. I would gift them my appetite and my ability to suck up large quantities of expensive food.

... "Oh, I was supposed to bring a gift????? Well as my good friends my gift to you is being a close friend with a good appetite!"

Something tells me its more like cheap or no food and the expectancy of lavish gifts

Old 07-12-2014, 01:58 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Something tells me its more like cheap or no food and the expectancy of lavish gifts
I was thinking that too. I was also thinking, why is the OP obsessed? It's simple. Either go or don't go. If going, either bring a gift or don't. Note that there are dollar stores all over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
ive taken myself off the marriage invite list,,, there should be an etiquette rule,
Hey, I do that too! I was invited to one by acquaintances about a decade ago, thought to myself, "Yeah, like that is gonna last 5 years. Not!" I declined. I think the 5 year estimate was about spot on!

Old 07-12-2014, 04:28 PM

188 posts, read 358,100 times
When my husband and I bought our first house together we had a house warming party. We did not expect gifts and only a few people brought one. We just wanted to show our friends and family our new place and get together with everyone. Maybe they want to have a party now that they are in a house and have the room. I don't think a gift is expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate