Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 08:29 AM

790 posts, read 1,267,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
In some instances, the HOA fees may be overly high in order to keep out the riffraff.
Thats dumb and doubtful thats whats happening here.

I obviously would want to look at the last quarters statements for review before I bought. Both neighborhoods were built around the same time from the same exact homebuilder. I mean the town houses are identical. The HOA that is more expensive did put a gate in a few years ago and the other one does not have a gate, but a $200 dollar difference because of that? Both have pools and both take care of lawn maintenance. Was just mind boggling to me. The townhouses with the higher HOA dues are selling for almost 20% cheaper but the nieghborhoods are both in deisreable areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 09:01 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,558,027 times
Yes but the HOA with the lower dues may not be funding reserves adequately. As someone else mentioned you need to compare their financials.

If you are buying a condo you not only should look at the financials but read Board Minutes for the last year and letters to the Board for the same period. That will give you a good picture of their issues.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:02 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,901,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
Thats dumb and doubtful thats whats happening here.

I obviously would want to look at the last quarters statements for review before I bought. Both neighborhoods were built around the same time from the same exact homebuilder. I mean the town houses are identical. The HOA that is more expensive did put a gate in a few years ago and the other one does not have a gate, but a $200 dollar difference because of that? Both have pools and both take care of lawn maintenance. Was just mind boggling to me. The townhouses with the higher HOA dues are selling for almost 20% cheaper but the nieghborhoods are both in deisreable areas.
Again, look at the details, what EXACTLY do the fees cover and what percentage of the reserves are funded? Has the cheaper one even had a reserve study and if so are they funding 100%? I think if you get the answer to these two questions you will have your answer.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:10 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Actually, gated communities have significantly higher fees. Has to do with maitenance, inspection and related insurance requirements when you have a gated community. In my last home in AZ the HOA considered iinstalling a gate at the single entrance to the community. It would have tripled the HOA fee (which was minimal without the gate). No gate was installed.

Another issue in SOME gated communities is that the HOA becomes responsible for road and sidewalk maitenance inside the gates instead of the city, township or county.

And have you compared the priperty tax rates? If one community is in a higher property tax area, that would increase the HOA fee, too.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:13 AM

790 posts, read 1,267,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Yes but the HOA with the lower dues may not be funding reserves adequately. As someone else mentioned you need to compare their financials.

If you are buying a condo you not only should look at the financials but read Board Minutes for the last year and letters to the Board for the same period. That will give you a good picture of their issues.
This makes perfect sense...thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Actually, gated communities have significantly higher fees. Has to do with maitenance, inspection and related insurance requirements when you have a gated community. In my last home in AZ the HOA considered iinstalling a gate at the single entrance to the community. It would have tripled the HOA fee (which was minimal without the gate). No gate was installed.
This could be another explaination, I guess Ill have to look at the financials to know for sure. Thanks for the replies.

Last edited by The b8nk; 07-17-2014 at 09:32 AM..

Old 07-17-2014, 12:42 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,889,593 times
Quote:

In some instances, the HOA fees may be overly high in order to keep out the riffraff.
In some cases it is known as gentrification.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:39 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,997 times
Another cause of higher dues is the amenities offered within the complex.
Pools, jacuzzi, landscaping, common BBQ area, and as mentioned earlier, gates at the entrances. The maintanance cost for keeping them working can be expensive. How many light bulbs in the common areas ? They have to be changed when they get burned out.
I had a property manager tell me that places with tennis courts have higher insurance rates because of people getting hurt.
It's not cheap living like you're in a resort.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:32 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,994 times
ALso depends on amenties. Condo near me 20% of owners are in arrears yet maint is not that high.

Why it is a low rise garden apt style condo with no garages just outdoor parkings

Unit owners are responsible their own windows, doors, balconies, HVACs and hot water haters. Also no security guards or cameras. No need since everyone enters own unit direct from outside.

The big attraction is condo is right near a great public beach and there are public tennis courts near by. AKA amenities condo does not pay for.

However, homeowners, flood, BOD insurance keeps rising, legal costs against the owners in arrears are an issue and lawn and snow removal is an issue.

If you have a condo not in a flood zone, with limited common areas and amentities and folks who pay on time maint can be very low. The key also is limited amenties, grand lobbies, underground parking, doormen, pools, golf courses etc are really nice, but you have to reserve to maintaint them and when owners go into arrears look out.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:51 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
You must not have much experience with HOAs.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:57 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Oh, that's silly.
It is -- and I've heard that reasoning said by many people who live in condos. However, most of them have no idea that in their dues, they are "saving" for new carpet, new boilers, new swamp coolers, pool and spa and clubhouse redos.... all that stuff is planned YEARS in advance and tiny little dribs and drabs are set aside to pay for them when they are done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate