Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2014, 11:52 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,338,753 times

Advertisements

My county is considering a rezoning plan that will make our property nonconforming with the new zoning laws. Essentially the county is going to create 15,000 nonconforming properties IF they pass this new zoning ordinance.

About the properties: property A includes our house and land (let's say it's 10 acres) in a plotted subdivision. Property B is the adjacent buildable lot in the plotted subdivision and also 10 acres for example purposes. The new zoning ordinance will require a minimum of 15 acres in the proposed zone. Because our property is not 15 acres, we will be considered nonconforming in the future.

I am concerned that this new zoning ordinance will create difficulty in selling in the future. Will any future buyer be able to secure title insurance since the property will be nonconforming? Will a future buyer be able to secure a loan on a nonconforming property?

Thoughts? And yes, the property was conforming when we built the house and purchased the properties. It is still conforming as of today. They've not mentioned "grandfathering" in any discussions, and I don't think they will do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 11:57 AM

729 posts, read 1,505,256 times
I would think there shouldn't be an issue as the property should be grandfathered in. You can't add land to something that is already there and it was built to the standards of that time.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:06 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
Title Insurance has nothing to do with the type of land use attached to the property. It is about the title and any defects to the title. Zoning, conforming and non-conforming development conditions, salability, and anything related to the property use is not covered by title insurance. Look at it this way, title insurance makes sure that the title is clean and clear. It provides that in the event something pops up on the TITLE, the insurance steps in to make you whole.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:11 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,400,755 times
Usually, existing properties are grandfathered in. I haven't seen a zoning law in my area where that wasn't the case.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:50 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,338,753 times
Thanks for the comments. In this particular case I suspect the county will not grandfather the empty lot in terms of new regulations regarding setbacks. They will have to accept the size of the property. The county in this case is essentially trying to use some very restrictive zoning ordinances to prevent growth.

With the house, obviously they cannot force people to move it.

My primary concern is a buyer getting a mortgage at some future point on the house or the lot. Some things I've read online indicate it will be very difficult to do so in this situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate