Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 07:08 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times

Advertisements

We recently sold our home. We chose our realtor very carefully and were very pleased with the job she did. She was extremely good at follow up and made sure everything that needed to be done was done. She even gave us a timeline to use during the process of the sale. We sold the house the first day on the market.

However, at the closing, the buyer's agent (who works for the same very large real estate company as our realtor) said to us, in front of everyone at the closing, including our agent, that she and also our agent were donating a portion of their commission (paid by us) to the charity set up by their company. This was to be in our name and, I assume, was their "realtor gift" for us. Their company was supposedly matching this amount for the charity. She said we would receive something from their company regarding this "gift" to us. Our realtor said absolutely nothing when all this was said. We were surprised at this odd trend but thanked them both.

Three months have gone by and we have received NOTHING from their company acknowledging our "gift." We never received any other realtor gift from our own realtor. Their company received a $28,000+ commission paid by us, of which our realtor must have received a substantial portion, as she is a very successful agent for them.

Besides the fact that our realtor may not have donated anything to the company charity for us, she also never gave us even a small gift card or anything else. And on top of that she dropped us off after the closing and didn't even thank us for our business or get off her cell phone long enough to shake our hands.

This left both DH and I disappointed in her, which is too bad because we were very impressed with her up to that point. Remember Sales Persons, to close the deal in a gracious manner--at least say "thank you" and shake hands...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 07:24 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,323,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
We recently sold our home. We chose our realtor very carefully and were very pleased with the job she did. She was extremely good at follow up and made sure everything that needed to be done was done. She even gave us a timeline to use during the process of the sale. We sold the house the first day on the market.

However, at the closing, the buyer's agent (who works for the same very large real estate company as our realtor) said to us, in front of everyone at the closing, including our agent, that she and also our agent were donating a portion of their commission (paid by us) to the charity set up by their company. This was to be in our name and, I assume, was their "realtor gift" for us. Their company was supposedly matching this amount for the charity. She said we would receive something from their company regarding this "gift" to us. Our realtor said absolutely nothing when all this was said. We were surprised at this odd trend but thanked them both.

Three months have gone by and we have received NOTHING from their company acknowledging our "gift." We never received any other realtor gift from our own realtor. Their company received a $28,000+ commission paid by us, of which our realtor must have received a substantial portion, as she is a very successful agent for them.

Besides the fact that our realtor may not have donated anything to the company charity for us, she also never gave us even a small gift card or anything else. And on top of that she dropped us off after the closing and didn't even thank us for our business or get off her cell phone long enough to shake our hands.

This left both DH and I disappointed in her, which is too bad because we were very impressed with her up to that point. Remember Sales Persons, to close the deal in a gracious manner--at least say "thank you" and shake hands...
Re-read your own first paragraph a few times.

It would seem that the event at closing might have been a curve-ball that your realtor did not know about, and it resulted in awkwardness. AFTER your realtor kicked butt for you and got the job done.

Just check out your first paragraph again, and refer your realtor for the job that was done.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:24 PM

991 posts, read 1,520,296 times
I would never expect a gift, it's a business transaction. The donation talk is typical of some Realtors to reinforce they give back to the community, I'm not a bit surprised that was hot air.

On the other hand, a smile, a thank you and a follow up thank you note costs a Realtor nothing, but leaves a positive impression in the seller (or buyers) mind.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:05 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
You should have held out for a $5 Starbucks gift card. No card, no closing.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:19 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
I find the whole Charity Brag to Boost Business to be distasteful.
Bleah.
Take the money. Put it where you want to, to support great causes. And, keep your endlessly self-promoting blowhard spiel to yourself.

A gift?
It isn't a "gift" if it is an entitlement.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:55 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Damn, my doctor didn't give me a gift last time I saw her. She had the pleasure of sticking things inside me for smears and such, but gave me nothing... must be a bad doctor...

Man, come to think of it, my eye doctor didn't give me anything when I went to see her either, except a new prescription... I'm not finding the right service people who give out gifts right and left. They need to do their jobs better!

*tongue firmly planted in cheek*

Old 07-23-2014, 12:28 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
You mean my realtor was supposed to give me a gift? I would have thought it would have been the other way around.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:37 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,714 times
They don't have to give you a gift, but a bottle of wine or champagne to toast the closing would not be too much to expect. Still, the agent sounds like she did a great job - selling in one day is a rarity, appreciate that for what it is worth (a LOT!).

Old 07-23-2014, 12:45 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
She did a great job for you as you have stated and after closing the job is done and she is already on her way to the next home to be sold.
She is not required nor should be expected to give you anything as far as a gift goes. The charity mentioned by the other realtor may be something they participate in but your realtor does not.

I do agree she should have given you her full attention until after you were out of her vehicle and she was driving down the road. Being on her phone and not parting ways properly was just rude on her part.

I hope you enjoy your new home.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:25 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post

Boy, I sure wish I had your problems in life. Taking the time to post to an internet forum because someone didn't give you a gift? First, gifts are never required (in ANY situation). Second, they are rare in business transactions. Be happy she did a great job and move on with your life. Your whole attitude sounds real selfish to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate