Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 08:27 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,052,594 times

Advertisements

Not a buyer, but soon to be seller.

I see a photo like this and the Agency/agent does not make it to the "interview" stage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 09:14 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,047,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

Even professional photos aren't always that great. The last time we sold, we had to delay listing 3 days to get this photog our agent SWORE was the best. He took 3 hours to get all these shots of our rooms, and they were good and clear, but made the rooms look distorted and the furniture and paint colors bleached out.
ahh yes. The overly processed "HDR" photos that usually look nasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
What's wrong with that photo that would stop you from looking at a house?

I tried to find a picture where you couldn't see much.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:11 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
I guess I'm in the minority - I see nothing really "bad" about the house based on that picture. I just looks like a bad photo. I will say that really bad photos do turn me off but many things come into play. Price, location being two main things.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:52 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
A photo like that wouldn't stop me as a buyer. I'd look at that picture and think, "Pull down those out-of-style drapes, a ceiling fan doesn't belong in the dining room, and I'd have to paint and replace the flooring." So I'm adding up the money in my head and at the same time thinking, "But my dining room furniture is better proportioned for the room than that one is. So I can fix this for not too much cash." If all the rooms need as much work as this one, I'd better see a price I can live with, but if I do and the location is right, I'd do a tour.

But as a seller, I KNOW those photos would deter a lot of people so I would never publish something like that to represent a property I was selling. I'm a firm believer that staging and good photography pay for themselves. If you're going to put your house online, the representation of it there is every bit as important as good curb appeal when the potential buyers pull up outside.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:25 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
I would definitely look. Here is why. People will focus so much on the bad photo and not give the house a chance which might be a great deal. So I come along, find the house is pretty awesome, no other competition to contend with because other buyers are focused on photography and I end up with a pretty sweet deal. Thank you very much. I find this with other deals too.

A while back I found a beautiful piece of furniture on craigslist. I called and went to take a look. Even more beautiful in person, the seller hadn't had any bites due to the bad photograph (messy room in the background) and basically gave me the piece so she didn't have to deal with it anymore.

I appreciate bad photos.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:34 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
It's just a bad photo. No big deal.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:16 AM

776 posts, read 745,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Even professional photos aren't always that great. The last time we sold, we had to delay listing 3 days to get this photog our agent SWORE was the best. He took 3 hours to get all these shots of our rooms, and they were good and clear, but made the rooms look distorted and the furniture and paint colors bleached out. Live and learn.

If a listing has bad pix, I assume the agent is at least clueless or inexperienced.
There are a lot of fly by night RE photographers that don't know what they are doing. They are one of the people who thinks that just because they bought a DSLR they can go around doing everyone's wedding and graduation photos for very little or free. I do believe that good photos can make a difference because certain buyers that are ready to buy are not going to waste their time when 20 other houses with their criteria have good photos to go off of. Also if the person is out of town and coming to look at houses they probably don't have a lot of time and will weed out home buy their online presentation. It takes me about an hour max to shoot a home. I've shot rather large homes in an hour. Three hours is ridiculous. He's probably not going to be in business long.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:21 AM

790 posts, read 1,881,035 times
I "may" go look at the house, if it's in my price range and in a desirable area. However, the photo is very dark and the room indicates the rest of the house may need some updating. I'd have to see more, but this one photo makes me put it into the "maybe" file. I'd need other things to convince me (price, location, etc)

Old 07-26-2014, 12:31 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
That picture only means a bad realtor not a bad house..

It's EBAY that would be a big red flag with a photo like that that you shouldn't bid on.

I had the nicest condo in the HOA but my agent put the most stupid photos on the MLS. Before I fired her.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:34 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
If the house otherwise met my criteria, I would not be deterred by a bad photo.
I agree--our realtor tried to take some photos of our view from inside the house and he could just not get one that did the view justice--weird lighting I guess.

What will make me pass sometimes is the lack of photos. If there is only one or two of the outside of the place, I assume there is a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate