Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 10:31 PM

60 posts, read 187,181 times

Advertisements

We are closing on a new construction home soon. I asked about how the home owners usually go about replacing the locks once they move in (getting it rekeyed vs. buying and installing a new lock). They said that they have a construction key and once we move in we insert the home owner key and the lock rekeys itself so that the construction key no longer works. Problem is they said somehow the lock was already rekeyed and they are using our real keys to open the doors for the workers right now. The construction key no longer works to open the doors. They said they will return all sets of our keys at closing.

I am not too happy about this. Is this something worth asking them to somehow replace before we close? Or should we just buy new locks anyway regardless if their rekeying system worked? Also, can we still rekey the door locks or do we have to just buy new locks and install them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 06:03 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
If they screwed up and started using the real keys and gave them out, I would insist that they pay a locksmith to re-key the place or install new locks.

They screwed up, they get to fix it. This is not really any different than anything else that is not installed correctly. Why should you pay to fix it?

Old 07-29-2014, 06:11 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
They sound like they are these types of locks.

Re-key Locks Easily with Kwikset SmartKey | How to Re-Key a Lock Yourself in Seconds

Old 07-29-2014, 06:14 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Depending on the brand, some locks have the ability to be rekeyed by the owner as long as you have the necessary parts that come with the original lock.

Re-key Locks Easily with Kwikset SmartKey | How to Re-Key a Lock Yourself in Seconds

If you lock doesn't have that kind of technology, they should be able to get them re-keyed and give you new keys that have not been floating around during construction. And this should definitely be something you insist on prior to closing.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:17 AM

404 posts, read 897,612 times
As concerned as you are, and should be, I'd call my own locksmith to re-key the home, after closing. $75 bucks or so. If you had your builder re-key it, it sounds like you'd always wonder if someone made an extra key.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:23 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
It cost me about $6 a lock to rekey at the local hardware store, or you can buy a rekeying set for probably $12 for four locks. Learn to use a screw driver, welcome to home ownership.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:57 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv28 View Post
As concerned as you are, and should be, I'd call my own locksmith to re-key the home, after closing. $75 bucks or so. If you had your builder re-key it, it sounds like you'd always wonder if someone made an extra key.
^^^I would just do this. We always rekey locks after moving into any new house. We had a locksmith come out and rekey 4 doors. It was about 70 bucks.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:01 AM

306 posts, read 549,738 times
I replaced my locks ... With these ... No more keys

Schlage BE469NXCAM619 Camelot Touchscreen Deadbolt with Z-Wave Technology and Built-In Alarm, Satin Nickel - Door Dead Bolts - Amazon.com

Old 07-29-2014, 08:22 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
If they are the Smartkey locks, which it sounds like, all you need is any new Quikset compatible key and the tool and you can rekey it yourself. No need to replace the locks.

However, I would absolutely change the garage door code the first day (assuming you have a garage with a keypad opener). As a builder, I will tell you that while none of our subs have keys, every single one of them knows the code to the garage.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:35 AM

279 posts, read 544,225 times
Wow. You are going to have a long road ahead of you in home ownership if changing the locks is a major deal...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate