Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2014, 03:34 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,771,789 times

Advertisements

We are the sellers and have a signed contract on the house and were hoping to close next month. The house was completely cleared out other than the appliances. We were told by the realtor that those needed to be left behind. The house will require a complete interior renovation, however.

We recently discovered that the house was broken into and the copper pipes stolen. We don't anticipate this being a huge problem for the buyer as all the plumbing was to be torn out anyway, but does anyone know whether the buyer's bank could take issue as they will expect appliances/systems to be in working order?

I know we're going to have to discuss this with our lawyer, but that's a whole other saga..I hate the guy. Just curious if anyone else has dealt with this.

I'd be fine giving some type of concession to the buyer, but if the bank will have a problem I'd assume we'll have to have repairs made. Which drives me insane knowing that as soon as we close the buyer will rip it all out anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 04:08 PM

166 posts, read 409,398 times
Refer to your contract with the buyer. What a buyer intends to do to a property once it closes is their business and doesn't negate your obligations of a contract. Generally, rule of thumb is that the property is to be in the same condition as it was on the day of the contract was written and submitted. Look for somesort of section regarding causes of loss, insurance, damage to inclusions.

You will need to resolve the matter with your buyer. It depends on the sort of financing the buyer is pursuing as lenders have their own guidelines and criteria in the form of loan conditions; especially for primary residences. Was all the copper ripped out? It all depends on the severity of the damage but yes, the buyer's lender could be discretionary with a delay or cancel the loan on the grounds that technically they may see it as the house no longer has running water therefore viewed as inhabitable. If the buyer was doing an fha loan, yeah, chances are the property won't go fha due to the damage.

I'm very sorry to hear what happened. With metal prices how they are, this has been a problem for a number of years ... especially at risk are abandoned or bankowned properties. In all likelihood, Police report and Insurance claim to get the work repaired but you will have to coordinate with the buyer to see how they want to handle the loss too.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:59 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,547,004 times
So what do the copper pipes do? Supply your utilities? I don't think a lender will give a loan on a house without proper utilities, bathroom use, etc.

However, if there is no loan or a short contractor's loan as they work construction, that's another thing. But otherwise the house has to be in certain condition for a lender to see it is worthy of loaning on. There are some that won't even allow paint chips and alligator paint.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:14 PM

729 posts, read 1,496,881 times
Talk to the buyer (their agent) and explain what happened. Chances are, you will have to replace the pipes. A house needs running water. BUT, there is always the chance, albeit slim, that it won't be an issue. Just talk to them. So much is solved by just talking

Old 08-02-2014, 10:06 PM

14,530 posts, read 19,978,472 times
It sounds to me like you need to turn in an insurance claim and have all the plumbing replaced. Once that's done I can't see it affecting the sale. Who wouldn't rather have new pipe instead of old pipe?

Note that your walls will need repair too, after the new plumbing is in and the holes filled, and repainted.

Too bad we can't execute these thieves.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:14 PM

10,987 posts, read 20,454,482 times
Put in PEX pipe, not attractive to thieves.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:47 PM

14,190 posts, read 14,543,530 times
I had a similar situation. My buyer was going to do a remodel before they even moved in. Part of that was the HVAC system. Well a month before the closing, the AC Compressor gave out. The little devil in the back of my head said just forget it. Do not say anything. They are going to replace it.

Well proud to say, I do not do business like that. I called and informed the buyer. He said let me call my HVAC guy. He called me back and said no issue, my HVAC guys says the unit goes away in the remodel. He also thank you for doing this. Some would have walked away.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:49 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,073,039 times
comment you dont have to be selling an abandoned property to lose your pipes to thieves. I know a church that had theirs stolen.
the greatest danger in the process of selling the house is during the transfer. you must guard the property. often vengeful renters and their friends will trash it a few days b4 you get the keys. people that short sell got nasty friends too and are plenty mad about losing their house.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:47 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,771,789 times
Thanks for all the advice. I obtained a copy of the contract and will review, and speak to our lawyer once we get our ducks in a row. We're dealing with this and a fence issue(neighbor built fence on our property, seems like it was a long time ago so adverse possession may apply, neighbor ducking our calls) so it's been one fun thing after another.

Lovehound, the insurance thing is yet another complication. We switched insurers recently to obtain a vacant property policy, and can't prove who was the insurer when the burglary occurred. We're also somewhat concerned about being dropped if we make a claim...

Old 08-04-2014, 11:46 PM

14,530 posts, read 19,978,472 times
Oh no re: the changed insurers problem. That is one hell of a problem. But you can't just eat it. You are going to have to decide who to make the claim to. Maybe somebody else has some advice. Could you file a claim or lawsuit against both companies and let the court decide? You are surely covered, the only question is which insurer is to pay.

And yes I too am familiar with the problem that if you let a neighbor build a fence on your property you risk a common law readjustment of the property boundary as the new fence. At least that's the way it is in L.A. County. My neighbor built a fence several inches on his side of the property line when our common fence blew down, so in theory I gained several inches in the size of my yard, but I never bothered to test it. I sold the house. Let the new owners deal with it if they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate