U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 10:38 AM

1,827 posts, read 1,225,989 times

Advertisements

I live in the Northeastern U.S. and am thinking of selling my condo in the next 12 months. The condo needs some work, but is in an extremely desirable location. I will be painting the entire condo when I am closer to selling time, and might do some work on the kitchen.

I'm de-cluttering and organizing, it will take me awhile to get the place ready.

If I am looking at next spring to sell, should I wait to get new vanities for the two bathrooms, since that is one thing I can get done in the next few weeks? The current vanities are in bad shape. I don't know if I will be replacing the wallpaper in the bathrooms (wallpaper in one bathroom is in bad shape) or painting the walls in the bathrooms, probably the latter, in a few months time.

Should I paint the floor of the balcony now, or wait until closer to selling time (the handyman may not want to paint in the colder months)? I am planning to have the handyman clean out and spruce up the balcony this weekend, since it needs it even if I were not selling the condo.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 11:06 AM

49,986 posts, read 51,952,758 times
I would do the vanities now. I would paint a neutral color, NOT wallpaper.

Get as much stuff out now, then look at what you've got.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:25 AM

2,493 posts, read 6,672,422 times
I would do the vanities and take down the wallpaper and paint a neutral color now, so you can enjoy it while you still live there. I would wait until the spring to repaint the balcony,so the new paint doesn't have to go through the winter and would like shiny/fresh.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:51 AM

24,051 posts, read 15,711,671 times
I would do everything but paint. You'll have the benefit of enjoying it but things like vanities won't get damaged for a year of ordinary use. Paint at the very last minute, as it's so easy to chip or scratch and you want that to look as fresh as possible.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:58 PM

16,322 posts, read 25,010,474 times
1. Nuke the wallpaper. Many (most?) prospective buyers hate wallpaper.
2. Do everything at the last minute so there is no wear and tear on it.
3. Decluttering should take no more than 1 week. You need to think: "remove 2/3 of everything". Do that now.
4. Start cleaning now. And, continue to clean. Pick one item a week to deep clean.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:31 PM

10,120 posts, read 13,047,067 times
I would get some second opinions from Realtors and perhaps a decorator. You may see the 'need' for numerous improvements prior to a sale, but, although your selected vanities, paint and kitchen work may match your taste, they may not match that of most potential buyers. There is a thin line between the advantage of getting the condo into 'marketable' condition ... and offering a potential buyer $3K-$5K to do their own painting, vanities and kitchen upgrade.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:09 PM

1,539 posts, read 2,019,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
I would do the vanities and take down the wallpaper and paint a neutral color now, so you can enjoy it while you still live there. I would wait until the spring to repaint the balcony,so the new paint doesn't have to go through the winter and would like shiny/fresh.
I agree. No time like the present to declutter, that will likely be your biggest challenge.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I would get some second opinions from Realtors and perhaps a decorator. You may see the 'need' for numerous improvements prior to a sale, but, although your selected vanities, paint and kitchen work may match your taste, they may not match that of most potential buyers. There is a thin line between the advantage of getting the condo into 'marketable' condition ... and offering a potential buyer $3K-$5K to do their own painting, vanities and kitchen upgrade.

Thanks for your input.

If the vanities in the two bathrooms were just old, I wouldn't replace them. But one of them is literally falling apart, the doors falling off, the other is cracked and peeling (and the sink is scratched in spots); so I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to get new vanities and sinks; since that's relatively inexpensive and something I can afford to do. I'm also considering new appliances in the kitchen; the oven/range is in disrepair; and I don't think that getting a new one would be more expensive than fixing it.

The flooring is a mess in spots, I have to either replace some of the hardwood squares or all of them; and I don't think I can afford to redo the kitchen (it's all old, and the cabinets are not in good shape) completely and do the flooring, so I'm thinking of getting some new things that are affordable...

Old 08-07-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. Nuke the wallpaper. Many (most?) prospective buyers hate wallpaper.
2. Do everything at the last minute so there is no wear and tear on it.
3. Decluttering should take no more than 1 week. You need to think: "remove 2/3 of everything". Do that now.
4. Start cleaning now. And, continue to clean. Pick one item a week to deep clean.

Thanks for your reply. Decluttering is taking forever, due to emotional issues, there being 30+ years of personal and family belongings and paperwork that have accumulated; and to having too much else I have to do. I've made some progress, but not enough.

I think I will "nuke the wallpaper".

Old 08-07-2014, 09:21 PM

8,875 posts, read 14,983,006 times
I caution against leaving everything until the last minute. It's disruptive and hurts less if you spread out the pain, whether or not you are doing it yourself. If you don't want to have your house torn up over the holidays, take off the wallpaper and change out the vanities now. I agree about ditching the wallpaper. If you have to have it for some reason, get the most neutral thing possible. People who are anti-wallpaper tend to be vehement about it. You can get that job over with and it's unlikely you will mess up the new results between now and when you sell. (Paint the bathrooms with a good quality semi-gloss.)

I'd leave the balcony painting for closer to sale time. And just plug away constantly of the decluttering. If you feel you must keep a lot of family papers, at least organize them into waterproof containers that you can store away from your home (along with out-of-season clothes, holiday decorations, non-essential kitchen stuff and linens, collectibles, and small pieces of furniture) when you show the property. Aim for having all closets and cupboards at least HALF empty so potential buyers can see them as plenty roomy for their stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate