Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 10:42 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,047,091 times

Advertisements

Are you guilty of screening agents based on their looks ?
e.g. that guy looks like he's honest.
that girl looks like a nice girl. Let's interview her.
She looks like a biotch.
That guy looks sneaky. scratch that.

I've seen a few cases on zillow or trulia message boards where the least helpful agent was chosen and the agent just happened to look sweet and innocent like she could do no harm.

We all advertise ourselves with our face first.

What if Zillow and Trulia didn't allow any agent to post a picture of him/herself?
...like a faceless resume. Merit only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 02:32 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times
I am probably one of the few realtors who do not have their photo on their business card. It's just something I have never cared for. Some are photos many years ago when hair was thick and tanned skin was smooth..........then you meet the person! eek sometimes quite a difference. A good friend of mine here is an older man way up in his 70's His "picture" though, is a funny caricature of his face. He says "Every few years I just have the artist add a few more lines."

Old 08-16-2014, 06:52 AM

23 posts, read 21,836 times
I did that for my recent sale/purchase and it was the best decision in the world! Our realtor turned out to be fantastic and everything we had hoped for and more!

This was our 2nd home purchase we purchased our "starter home" in 2011 and had 3-5 year plan of selling and moving onto our "forever home" So, at the 3 year mark we decided to sell because interest rates were starting to creep up and we wanted to get out before they rose even further and effected our selling ability and purchasing ability with higher rates...

Our first home we bought my wife and I were 23/25 respectively and we remembered last time how rude some of the realtors are when interacting with a "young couple" and thinking we couldn't "afford" a house or just gave us a bad taste in our mouth...

So this time around my wife wanted to work with a female as she felt she would feel more comfortable so we browsed the local agent offices website picked out 4-5 friendly "younger" looking females sent them an email and then went from there...I suggest that route to anyone...no offense to some realtors on this board, but LIGHTEN up your too uptight about everything...

Old 08-16-2014, 07:04 AM

58 posts, read 104,456 times
IMO, I've found the older agents know the ropes better and are more practiced negotiators. I'd choose one based on interviews and recommendations from others. Looks really don't matter as long as they are good at their job.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:19 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
I only use my many realtor friends.

I think they all look sneaky, tho.
I already know they're all alcoholics!
And you think I'm kidding!

No newbies for me , tho.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:40 AM

404 posts, read 898,019 times
Default ^^^^^ This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adams798 View Post
picked out 4-5 friendly "younger" looking females
This is the secret not only to a smooth real estate deal, but to life itself.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:33 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
There is apparently a consensus among Realtors that their appearance is a huge deal. I've not seen another profession (except perhaps lawyers) that seems to feel so compelled to include their photo in every ad and on all literature.

Perhaps that is largely because they rely so heavily on projected image in selling their product (?)

Old 08-16-2014, 08:58 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,998,561 times
The photo is so you remember who we are when you see the card later. How many times have you looked up a business card and can't remember who it is or why you have the card?

Old 08-16-2014, 09:02 AM

10,047 posts, read 18,069,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
Are you guilty of screening agents based on their looks ?
e.g. that guy looks like he's honest.
that girl looks like a nice girl. Let's interview her.
She looks like a biotch.
That guy looks sneaky. scratch that.

I've seen a few cases on zillow or trulia message boards where the least helpful agent was chosen and the agent just happened to look sweet and innocent like she could do no harm.

We all advertise ourselves with our face first.

What if Zillow and Trulia didn't allow any agent to post a picture of him/herself?
...like a faceless resume. Merit only.
How does someone "look honest"? (other than not looking like a mug shot) or "nice"? or "a b****"? or "sneaky"?

We can read emotions (happy, sad, angry, etc.) but "honest" or "nice" or "sneaky"? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adams798 View Post
I did that for my recent sale/purchase and it was the best decision in the world! Our realtor turned out to be fantastic and everything we had hoped for and more!

This was our 2nd home purchase we purchased our "starter home" in 2011 and had 3-5 year plan of selling and moving onto our "forever home" So, at the 3 year mark we decided to sell because interest rates were starting to creep up and we wanted to get out before they rose even further and effected our selling ability and purchasing ability with higher rates...

Our first home we bought my wife and I were 23/25 respectively and we remembered last time how rude some of the realtors are when interacting with a "young couple" and thinking we couldn't "afford" a house or just gave us a bad taste in our mouth...

So this time around my wife wanted to work with a female as she felt she would feel more comfortable so we browsed the local agent offices website picked out 4-5 friendly "younger" looking females sent them an email and then went from there...I suggest that route to anyone...no offense to some realtors on this board, but LIGHTEN up your too uptight about everything...
THOSE were your criteria -- how "friendly" and "young" the females looked??? Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardislass View Post
IMO, I've found the older agents know the ropes better and are more practiced negotiators. I'd choose one based on interviews and recommendations from others. Looks really don't matter as long as they are good at their job.
^^^ This. It never would have occurred to me to choose a Realtor based on how they look ... I would rather hear about their marketing plan for my house! (What an idea!! )

Old 08-16-2014, 09:58 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
I admit to "judging realtors on their looks" but I do it with other professions as well. I expect my Realtors, lawyer, doctors, dentists, accountants, hair dresser, etc. to:

Dress professionally
Wear their hair, clothes, makeup appropriately to their profession and age
Look clean and well rested
Exude an air of confidence and competence

Those all have nothing to do with whether or not they look sneaky, trustworthy, or their age. It has to do with understanding that they are professionals, no matter what their job, and treating their job like a business professional.

(I do confess that I have serious qualms when I visit a doctor, nurse practitioner or dentist that is severely overweight or reeks of smoke. In fact, I have never returned to them again, and in one case, politely refused treatment.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate