Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 08:15 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times

Advertisements

We removed the tub in our master bathroom at our former house and when it came time to sell that house we sold in five days, so I don't believe it had a negative impact on the resale. We are getting ready to rip out the garden tub, which we've only used twice in three years, and install a large handicapped accessible shower in our current house. I actually prefer a large shower in the master and don't think it's bad for resale as long as there is a tub somewhere else in the house. I know when we were raising our kids we preferred giving them baths, but now with the kids grown, we prefer a shower and the dogs do too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 08:34 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinita View Post
Sounds like I am in the minority, but for me it would be a drawback as I use our bathtub almost everyday. I am currently househunting and I am always bummed when I see that homes have been remodeled to remove the bathtub--doesn't seem very luxurious to me, but I guess it is more practical for most people. It's not a dealbreaker for me as long as there is some sort of tub in the house.
I think it depends on your personal definition of luxurious. I am so excited to have my large, tub-sized shower in my new build. I'm putting in custom tile work and a frameless glass door and it's probably the room in the house that I am the most excited about. I do understand why you'd be bummed out that a house you otherwise like doesn't have a feature you prefer, but for me, this is the luxurious choice, not the practical one.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:07 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
So if children need to use the facilities during the night, it's either go down the stairs......or through Mom and Dad's room to use their bathroom.

A negative.

Just my two cents.
No. The other bedrooms are downstairs along with a full bathroom. If the kids need to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night they just walk from their bedroom to the bathroom which are BOTH downstairs. Read.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:51 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,815,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
In my experience, there are fewer buyers who want a master bath tub compared to those who don't care as long as there is a tub somewhere in the house...for whatever that is worth.
I agree with this. Most adults I know actually prefer taking a shower (or may prefer baths, but still take showers more often), and just want a bath somewhere in the house for the option of taking a bath, or when they have kids who take baths.

Personally, a steam shower would be a HUGE bonus to me. I'd much rather have a large shower with dual showers heads and steam than a crappy shower over tub, which takes longer to clean (and the tub part I'd never use, anyhow).

My dream master would probably have a massive shower with steam and a place to sit, and maybe a stand-alone soaking tub, for those few moments when I did want a bath.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:11 AM

78 posts, read 92,353 times
Default This is true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I think it depends on your personal definition of luxurious. I am so excited to have my large, tub-sized shower in my new build. I'm putting in custom tile work and a frameless glass door and it's probably the room in the house that I am the most excited about. I do understand why you'd be bummed out that a house you otherwise like doesn't have a feature you prefer, but for me, this is the luxurious choice, not the practical one.

I have seen some amazing showers on Bath Crashers, etc. and they would definitely qualify as luxurious. I forgot about all the cool features that showers have nowadays. If they can invent a way for me to read a magazine in the shower comfortably, maybe I'll consider switching...

Old 08-19-2014, 12:58 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,918,830 times
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going with an oversized steam shower with dual shower heads and two 2-person teak benches that fold up against the wall.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:48 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
Thanks for the replies ... much appreciated.

The master suite is upstairs, with the two smaller bedrooms and full bath downstairs.
Perfect. I have some friends in California, one of whom is a successful Realtor, who flip upscale houses. That's what they do in their remodels. Tub in the bathroom most likely to be used by children or guests, luxury shower in the master suite. If there is a third bath, they put a single shower in it.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:01 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
To me a master isn't a master without a tub. I think most women want a tub in addition to a shower.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:35 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,815,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
To me a master isn't a master without a tub. I think most women want a tub in addition to a shower.
Most women I talk to on a regular basis only take showers. I know a few who even hate baths. I think it's more a 'thing' to talk about, than something "most" women want. A lot of people will go, "Ooooh, I want a nice bath!" And then they take a bath twice a year, if that.

That said, a bath isn't a bad thing at all, if it's separate and preferably a soaker tub. But a shower over a bath generally means a smaller tub and a tighter shower - I'd always rather have a large gorgeous shower with a nice seat in it, then have a shower over a tub and feel cramped. My favorite bathroom to bathe in, is the one in my parent's house that is a double-sized shower with no tub.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:44 PM

58 posts, read 93,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
Hi group,

Quick question: if the master bath had an extra large dual-headed shower (with steam), but no bath tub, does that hurt resale value? My informal poll amongst friends indicates it's six one/half dozen the other in terms of preference, but thought I'd ask the pros.

p.s. It's a 3/2, and the downstairs bath has tub/shower combo.
We just sold a 4BR/2.5BA house in NC that only had a shower in the master BR. I was worried about re-sale but no potential buyers ever mentioned it as a reason when they passed on the house. I do not feel it affected our re-sale value. There was a full bath across the hall from the MBR and a half bath downstairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate