Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 03:09 PM

16,587 posts, read 8,605,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Our realtor has counseled us against spending any more money on the house upgrades at this point.

Existing appliances will be given a good cleaning and have a like new appearance, fwiw.
Listen to your realtor as they are correct. You are paying them a pretty penny in commission so get your monies worth.

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 03:13 PM

830 posts, read 1,538,432 times
I guess the question has been answered since in OP's market appliances don't usually convey. If the expectation is that you'll take them with you, and you want new appliances and know you'll use them in a new location, sure, they might make the house look nicer ... an expensive sort of staging but at least you won't lose the investment.

But I will chime in and say that in a market in which appliances convey, we left our 10-year-old white appliances and never got any negative feedback. And, we did very extensive research on staging, etc., and put massive amounts of effort into readying the house, so leaving the appliances was not for lack of thought or effort. As others have said, it really depends on the market and I would hazard a guess that in most markets, and up to upper-middle price range, circa early-2000s appliances in any color are just fine. Where we lived, had we purchased all new appliances (especially higher-end ones, which is all that would have made much of a difference to the look of the home) we would have "overbuilt" for the market. Perhaps the home would then be more appealing, but we wouldn't have been able to get much more for it. We had perfectly functional clean appliances which didn't look dated or dirty (despite being white), and they fit in just fine with our pretty standard kitchen. We priced well (in a very down market) so our buyers gave a full price offer and never once commented on the appliances. If or when they want to replace, they can choose whatever they want. For all I know they'll want to rip out the cabinets or even reconfigure the space and whatever I might have purchased wouldn't go with the new elements.

(Likewise, we did not replace laminate counters which were in good shape and in a non-offensive color/pattern.)

Now, we also were fortunate to have extremely realistic and savvy buyers who knew a deal when they saw it. They were so easy to work with. I can see buyers complaining just to see what you might give them.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:06 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,073 times
I agree with the majority. When we sold our home in 2010, we left behind all appliances, and they were all old, but working well. Buyers didn't care. The home we bought happened to be exactly 10 years old, too, and as buyers, we were fine with the appliances. The sellers did give us a 1-year warranty, and we did need to use that for the oven and the A/C, so it was nice to have. In both cases the appliances were repaired at little cost to us ($60 service fee) and we are still using them, four years later.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:21 PM

194 posts, read 273,207 times
As someone who just bought I say leave them. My place is 10 years old and I didn't have a problem with the appliances I was left as I figured it was on me to replace them if I didn't like. I think you just need to have something in the kitchen that works and looks nice. I decided to replace them all, as a buyer I appreciated being able to pick out what I wanted. But at the same time I also appreciated and realized it wasn't a necessity to replace so I was thankful I was left with something.

On the other side of it the place has all new carpet. I would have much rather had an allowance to do hardwoods so I don't appreciate the carpet as I should. BUT that is understandable and a bigger issue than appliances. If the carpet was bad most people won't look beyond that and see the vision an allowance would give them…..so I get it.

Good luck!

Old 08-29-2014, 05:37 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Greetings.

My husband and I will probably list our home next year. At that point, it will be a ten year old house and our appliances will be ten years old and past warranty. The kitchen appliances are black and are in overall good condition aesthetically. The washer and dryer are your standard white variety, not particularly pretty (they were purchased as a wedding present in 2004).

All of the appliances are in good working order (per inspection) and can live on past ten years. So my question is do I *need* to replace the appliances? We're already spending a good amount of money on paint, cleaning, repairs, etc. and new appliances will be a burden. Also, it would be kind of pointless to spend money for a new washer and dryer that we will barely use. Our realtor has counseled us against spending any more money on the house upgrades at this point.

Existing appliances will be given a good cleaning and have a like new appearance, fwiw.

I wouldn't bother, especially since the realtor isn't telling you it's necessary.

My house came with a microwave, cooktop, dishwasher, and built-in oven. No fridge or washer/dryer.

My microwave and cooktop were installed in 2003, so they're now 11. Dishwasher was about 20-25 years old and broke down completely after about 6 months so I replaced it. The oven is over 40 years old; the company discontinued that model in the early 1970s. It still works like a champ, though I did have to have a heating element replaced a couple of years ago.

I'd rather have the old oven than a new one that would fit in that space; with all the "energy saving" insulation in today's ovens, it would be so small on the inside that it would be almost unusable!

Old 08-29-2014, 08:13 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Thanks guys, very helpful advice. Falconhead, I never knew that the fridge and the washer/dryers didn't have to convey. So I guess these items would be a bonus. That being said, I guess the nice front loader washing machine/dryers that I see in the MLS photos are props that very well could be taken by the sellers when they move

Old 08-29-2014, 08:20 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
Quote:
Thanks guys, very helpful advice. Falconhead, I never knew that the fridge and the washer/dryers didn't have to convey. So I guess these items would be a bonus. That being said, I guess the nice front loader washing machine/dryers that I see in the MLS photos are props that very well could be taken by the sellers when they move
They aren't props, but they're showing how the newer, larger machines fit in the utility rooms, and if you have some, yours too will fit. You can negotiate for the washer, dryer, and fridge, and it's about 50/50 as to whether or not they're attached to them. Some people search and search for just the right fridge and will not relinquish. It's all about the price and terms.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:01 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times
No, don't replace them. If you think it's going to be an issue, offer a one-year home warranty that covers the appliances. Replacing a 10 year old appliance that is in perfectly good working order is a waste of money, IMHO (says the woman that is perfectly happy with her 35 year old double oven.)

Old 08-30-2014, 10:49 AM

983 posts, read 1,181,109 times
Bought a 'New' house in 1997 - all brand new appliances.

Sold the same house in 2011 to the 1st buyer to see it ( full asking price ) - still had all the original appliances in it ( at that time 14 year old appliances ). All looked great and were in perfect working order.

I never thought for a sec to replace them prior to listing ? Why would you ?

Old 08-30-2014, 02:55 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
They aren't props, but they're showing how the newer, larger machines fit in the utility rooms, and if you have some, yours too will fit. You can negotiate for the washer, dryer, and fridge, and it's about 50/50 as to whether or not they're attached to them. Some people search and search for just the right fridge and will not relinquish. It's all about the price and terms.
I probably will try and negotiate for the newer washer/dryer as it'd be easier to get theirs than buy new and have it delivered.. I have a feeling though that buyers may stipulate that I remove MINE because they're so unattractive (white and have very few bells and whistles).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
No, don't replace them. If you think it's going to be an issue, offer a one-year home warranty that covers the appliances. Replacing a 10 year old appliance that is in perfectly good working order is a waste of money, IMHO (says the woman that is perfectly happy with her 35 year old double oven.)
Thanks! My mom had her Magic Chef appliances for about twenty years before she replaced them. Though back then appliances were better in her opinion..

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
Bought a 'New' house in 1997 - all brand new appliances.

Sold the same house in 2011 to the 1st buyer to see it ( full asking price ) - still had all the original appliances in it ( at that time 14 year old appliances ). All looked great and were in perfect working order.

I never thought for a sec to replace them prior to listing ? Why would you ?
Too much House Hunters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate