Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 12:31 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times

Advertisements

Greetings.

My husband and I will probably list our home next year. At that point, it will be a ten year old house and our appliances will be ten years old and past warranty. The kitchen appliances are black and are in overall good condition aesthetically. The washer and dryer are your standard white variety, not particularly pretty (they were purchased as a wedding present in 2004).

All of the appliances are in good working order (per inspection) and can live on past ten years. So my question is do I *need* to replace the appliances? We're already spending a good amount of money on paint, cleaning, repairs, etc. and new appliances will be a burden. Also, it would be kind of pointless to spend money for a new washer and dryer that we will barely use. Our realtor has counseled us against spending any more money on the house upgrades at this point.

Existing appliances will be given a good cleaning and have a like new appearance, fwiw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 12:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
The realtor should know what sells a house. Kitchens and baths are normally a big part of that, but if they work fine and you are not willing to buy all new matching stainless steel for the kitchen, better to wait and let the new owners deal with it. You may get an offer that reflects replacement cost. If your home is otherwise updated, functional and in a good location, you may not need the kitchen to be 100% to sell it. If there are any other "weaknesses" the new appliance could bring in more offers. Here people demand stainless appliances and granite counter tops, they all seem to watch HGTV.

Washer and dryer are less important and often not even included in the sale.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:43 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,603,625 times
Quote:
Our realtor has counseled us against spending any more money on the house upgrades at this point.
I agree with your realtor. You might upgrade to white appliances and the buyer will want stainless steel or something else.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:59 PM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
If you are sure you've hired the right realtor, listen to her. The answer to this question is, I think, very dependent on your market. On this forum, we really can't judge that accurately.

I do think that the washer and dryer should be left as is. As someone else said, they are not usually included in the sale, but are often requested by the buyer as part of the sale. Let 'em have them. Not worth moving them, if you can avoid it.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:31 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Unless broken or just looking worn out bad I wouldn't replace them. Most appliance panels can be purchased relatively cheap. Like stove top or burners and grille.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:06 PM

2,637 posts, read 7,427,871 times
If they work, don't fix them.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:24 PM

58 posts, read 104,412 times
As someone who bought a condo with older appliances, if they work fine don't fix them. But I would offer a home warranty for them in any sale.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:56 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times
Thank you. I'll leave them and maybe get a warranty.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:05 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,801,403 times
I see you're here in the Austin market. Washers, Dryers, and Fridges are considered personal property here (and throughout Texas). They are not part of the sale unless you negotiate them into the sale. Because of that, who cares how old those appliances are. You said your other appliances are black. Black still sells just fine in this market. It's the older white appliances that people cringe at. The newer "ice white" appliances look nice, but the older white ones show their age.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:01 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
What is your price point in comparison to them market? If you are on the higher side, I might consider it. But otherwise, nope. Good condition working appliances are fine. If someone doesn't like black, that's on them. The appliances in the place I just sold were 3-4 years old when I moved in. They didn't leave the fridge so I had to buy that anyway and decided to replace the range and microwave with stainless since I wanted a stainless fridge. But I never once thought my sellers should have done that, it was totally my decision to replace functional and not terribly old appliances just because I liked something better.

re: washer and dryer. My realtor said it was about 50/50 on whether those conveyed. I originally excluded them in my listing but it became a negotiating point - my buyer kept them, I got a little bit more money and I'll buy new for my new home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate