Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 05:34 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hill View Post
In all 50 states it is the Seller's right to have a copy of the Home Inspection report. The Seller is held responsible for the information in a Home Inspection report- it is part of his/her legal responsibility called "Full Disclosure." Actually it is the Inspector's duty to give the Seller a copy of his/her report upon completion. Note: The Buyer does not exclusively own all rights to the report- when a home inspection is ordered by either a Seller OR Buyer both parties are legally entitled to said report AND the Inspector is legally obligated to provide copies to both parties REGARDLESS of who pays for the report.

An Inspector risks losing their license by not providing the report to the Seller.
This is of course completely made up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 07:43 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
In all 50 states it is the Seller's right to have a copy of the Home Inspection report. The Seller is held responsible for the information in a Home Inspection report- it is part of his/her legal responsibility called "Full Disclosure." Actually it is the Inspector's duty to give the Seller a copy of his/her report upon completion. Note: The Buyer does not exclusively own all rights to the report- when a home inspection is ordered by either a Seller OR Buyer both parties are legally entitled to said report AND the Inspector is legally obligated to provide copies to both parties REGARDLESS of who pays for the report.

An Inspector risks losing their license by not providing the report to the Seller.
I was not aware that there was federal law that governed this.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:51 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
Quote:

I'd be astonished if there was ANY aspect of real estate procedure that was common to all 50 states.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:00 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:

Cite the LAW please, or I call bs. It's certainly not true in VA, btw. I've never shared my buyer's copy of the inspection report with the seller except for pertinent items I wanted to have fixed.

Old 10-07-2016, 05:48 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Quote:

Sorry Scott, absolutely false. If the buyer pays for the inspection, they are the only one entitled to that report.

I did get a good laugh from your post though......

Old 10-07-2016, 08:06 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,397,471 times
Quote:

LOL! This is a fake post, right? Not only is it wrong that it's a law in all 50 states, I would be surprised if it were law in ANY state!

Old 10-07-2016, 08:41 PM

983 posts, read 1,180,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
We only give the portion of the report that shows the problem. There's no way that they get a copy of the complete report for free.
I would think this is the norm

Unless sellers were willing to pay close to 50% of what the home inspection cost .... then I would consider giving them the full report

Old 10-07-2016, 11:06 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAtoNYtoNC View Post
Thanks all! We're in a disclosure state so we'll see what they do once we send them the list of items to be addressed.

Send it certified mail. Then he can't claim he never got it when he refuses to disclose all the issues that came up.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:15 AM

2,956 posts, read 2,341,067 times
We share the report when asked, no reason not to really. I mean sure, I paid for it but how shallow is that? Share it and let them see all the crap they found. All the little things I'm not asking them to fix.

My conversation with their agent usually goes:

Sure, I'll forward you the report. As you'll see there are 23 items on there. We are being quite reasonable only asking for these 5 items which are what we consider major.

The seller is free to tell me to pound tar, fix or negotiate and I'm free to walk if they don't do exactly as I've asked.

Old 10-08-2016, 04:32 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
If the seller is willing to share part of the expense of the inspection, I would be more willing to share the report. I consider having the report gives the buyer a little more leverage in negotiations. The buyer can share the report if they wish, but is not obligated to do so under law.

I believe the intent of a disclosure law is to protect the buyer from known, unreported issues with a home/property that were not disclosed by the seller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate