Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2014, 09:39 AM

128 posts, read 201,808 times

Advertisements

so i watched few real estate investing videos, to my understanding , so pretty much you find a seller and a buyer and you match make them?
add like %15-%25 of the monthly costs, so the buyer/renter pays the mortage and thats how it goes?
So you are like a middleman not letting know buyer and seller know you are doing this right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 10:14 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,598,681 times
The only way to make money doing that is to sell the real estate investing videos to people who don't know any better.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:34 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,484,462 times
I don't know of any law that says you can't buy a house for cash and then immediately enter into an owner carry sale with another buyer. But any buyer willing to pay the extra expenses to do that is going to be unqualified and probably be constantly late on their payments, and eventually default on the contract. The seller would then have to foreclose, which costs money. Plus, they've lost the opportunity cost on the cash. So I don't know how much they would actually make in the long run.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:36 AM

1,715 posts, read 4,779,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
The only way to make money doing that is to sell the real estate investing videos to people who don't know any better.
Not true its called real estate wholesalers. I am not a wholesaler but I bought a house and before I could close I was offered 8K more then I paid. I just did a double closing never spent a dime of my money and made 8K. I have also bought properties from a wholesaler.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:09 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,428,704 times
"Buying houses with no money? isn't it illegal to be a middle man?"

How do you get a house to closing with no proof of funds? What if the buyer backs out, then you've just committed fraud by entering into a contract to buy but then trying to get out of the contract. If it were that easy, then everyone would be doing it.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:12 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,598,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
I just did a double closing never spent a dime of my money and made 8K. I have also bought properties from a wholesaler.
But you had the money to spent. You weren't buying a house with no money. And wholesalers have money.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
What's illegal in many states is selling a house you don't own. A typical example is where a developer want to buy a home on a large lot, subdivide, and build a new house on the back part of the lot (flag lot). The seller is typically older, kids gone and ready to downsize, and in an area where vacant land is in short supply. What used to happen is the developer sells the front house, and uses the money as part of the purchase of the whole lot and house.

Old 08-29-2014, 04:07 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times
Real world buying and selling.

I bought many homes in my own account, when I was a real estate investment broker for a long, long time. I would tie them up with a $1,000 note, and resell the home to another party at a substantial profit, and have a simultaneous closing for both my purchase and sale. I never put up one dime out of my pocket.

I have optioned property with a personal note or at most $1,000 cash, and sold my option rights at a profit, and let the other party complete the purchase.

Example. An old man owned a 40 acre farm right next to the city limits. On one side a 10 acre piece it looked terrible with an alkali pond, an old house and an old barn. The back side was a sloping 30 acres, adjoining a housing track with utilities to cover this property as a development and 2 streets butted up to this property. $1,000 note and a 60 day closing. Was to get the bad 10 acres released to me at closing when those 10 acres were to be paid off, and owner to carry the balance with right to pay off 5 acres at a time and have released to myself. Traded the bad 10 acres to a couple that wanted 5 or 10 acres cheap. Sold the home to an investor, and the cash from the sale went to pay for the down payment on the farm and to release the 10 acres. Sold the 30 acres to a developer, for $100,000 profit. All closed in less than the 60 days allotted.

I knew a lot of real estate brokers around the county that did similar things, and we all made more money off of our dealing in property than brokerage (though we were all well paid brokers). which is perfectly legal as long as you reveal to all parties we were licensed brokers, and we never took a commission in the transactions. We were just buyers and sellers, who know how to move hard to sell property. We were dealing as private buyers and sellers, not as agents/brokers which is perfectly legal as long as you reveal to all parties we were licensed brokers, and we never participated as agents in those transactions and never took a commission in the transactions.

Some of those transactions involved several properties (called a running exchange) and when there was enough profit in the total group of transactions to pay for one, we went to closing, and we ended up with those free properties so to speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate