Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 08:26 PM

5,697 posts, read 19,084,521 times

Advertisements

I like a little color too but I go into buying a house knowing that I will repaint. I actually find people's horrific furniture tastes more distracting. Our current house is the only home I ever bought where I liked the colors. The previous owner had good taste. I have lived with the same paint color in several rooms because it would be something I would pick. She knew how to add neutrals without it being white or beige. I think white is a very unforgiving color to paint the walls. Any slight imperfection really stands out with white paint. That being said, foreclosures always seem to have the wildest paint colors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 10:53 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,148,733 times
I tend to love color. We have slowly been painting our 3600+ square foot house that was all the same blah neutral. It isn't cheap though, even to do it ourselves. The paint we like costs about $50 a gallon. I just did my master bedroom in gorgeous grays and silver.

Looking around, I see we have used lots of colors that make us happy. However, I think it's pretty strategic because a change to a just a couple of areas would make it all appear quite neutral.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:01 AM

19,374 posts, read 27,612,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrek View Post
. I usually work with big houses and condos in the midwest and west coast, California and Oregon, with the exact same problem. Some advice for your customers is to hire a color consultant before they are moving in. And best way to paint is Faux Finishes. Because I can swing any colors to make sense with the interior and the furnishings
Faux Finishes?!!? I Don't believe that advice is good advice in the South. I don't think I've seen a faux finish in Raleigh since we moved here except in a resale that still had gold fixtures, brass and glass chandeliers and corian counters in the kitchen.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:47 PM

496 posts, read 441,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
That being said, foreclosures always seem to have the wildest paint colors.
I was about to say just that, it seems whenever I see wild colors it's a foreclosure in poor repair.

As for neutral colors, I'd rather have a freshly painted house in all in a beige or light gray than a bunch of different colors I didn't like, or marked up old paint. I think a nice beige can give a house a clean, blank canvas to start regardless of your decor. The reason houses are painted all neutral colors to sell is because painting each room a different color wouldn't make sense. Also, once a house is empty even walls that looked clean with furniture and pictures in place will have scuffs and holes from pictures, furniture being moved, etc.

I personally am not a huge fan of white walls, however. My family has always believed walls should be white, and painting them other colors makes no sense to them.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:37 AM

37,054 posts, read 42,002,003 times
Faux finishes are awful IMO, I'd rather have a white wall.

I removed the popcorn ceiling in my house, the texture of everything is a light skip trowel and since that's all I've ever lived with it's what I prefer. There were colors on the walls when we moved in and lived with them for a few years before doing a remodel and painting everything off white. At that time I just needed a clean slate and a break from the yellow/powder blue/and flowery wallpapers. I painted the kids rooms pink and blue (their choice, not me being sexist) when they were young but have to redo that now that they are gone. I'm starting over now...a little taupe in my bedroom, silvery blues and greens in the bathrooms, ???? in the main living areas and secondary bedrooms (haven't got there yet).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate