Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 05:41 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,400,608 times

Advertisements

As a visual artist, I want my house to be neutral because my art and other décor will provide plenty of color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 05:59 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,353,391 times
It's easier to paint over beige or white than it is to paint over red or some awful sponge painting.

Our last house had bright hot pink and burnt orange paint in one room. They had done it themselves and gotten it on the ceiling too. It was terrible to paint over.

Don't get me started on the gold shiny paint in the bedroom. That took two coats of primer.

However, we did get a discount on the house because no one wanted that crazy mess. ( including the hand made wallpaper that was pages from a religious text....)

Old 08-30-2014, 07:43 PM

13,441 posts, read 15,392,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
It's easier to paint over beige or white than it is to paint over red or some awful sponge painting.

Our last house had bright hot pink and burnt orange paint in one room. They had done it themselves and gotten it on the ceiling too. It was terrible to paint over.

Don't get me started on the gold shiny paint in the bedroom. That took two coats of primer.

However, we did get a discount on the house because no one wanted that crazy mess. ( including the hand made wallpaper that was pages from a religious text....)
That's why the words "with restraint" are appropriate, I think.

Also, things need to show some sort of vision and flow. It can be done.

Beige/tan and white for every single room I can't stand. Even the HGTV shows (which I don't follow) don't have that. The flippers/fixers tend to balance neutrals with color and it looks pretty good aesthetically.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:40 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,329,854 times
Any house I sold usually gets painted unfortunately in boring sandcastle tan and Swiss coffee ceilings. Simply because its a easy color to sell. I'm looking at pleasing the majority of viewers. Once you buy it I could care less what color you want to paint.
Painting over dark of weird colors is EXPENSIVE and time consuming. Usually requires two primer coats and sometimes two paint coats to make it stop bleeding through. Taking it all in consideration you could be looking at 100-200 bucks to painting two rooms depending on how expensive a primer and paint you get and adding in tape plastic and rollers pan etc

Old 08-31-2014, 04:28 AM

41,809 posts, read 74,847,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Painting over dark of weird colors is EXPENSIVE and time consuming. Usually requires two primer coats and sometimes two paint coats to make it stop bleeding through. Taking it all in consideration you could be looking at 100-200 bucks to painting two rooms depending on how expensive a primer and paint you get and adding in tape plastic and rollers pan etc

Painting rooms to your taste is part of buying and maintaining a house. Anyone who can't handle that should continue either renting or living with Mommy and Daddy.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:12 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,263,948 times
It is boring.
That is part of the home buying thing painting it your colors...
And THEN, lol, having your agent tell you you must paint it back to white in order for it to sell!

Old 08-31-2014, 06:11 AM

51,592 posts, read 25,602,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Any house I sold usually gets painted unfortunately in boring sandcastle tan and Swiss coffee ceilings. Simply because its a easy color to sell. I'm looking at pleasing the majority of viewers. Once you buy it I could care less what color you want to paint.
Easy color to sell -- there you have it.

While one buyer may be delighted at the ruby dining room and the deep green accent wall in the living room, the next one not so much. Though it costs only a couple hundred in paint, rollers, etc. it takes hours and hours of work and folks are, understandably, reluctant to take this on as most find just the moving itself to be exhausting.

If you are hiring someone to do it, it takes even more time and money.

A friend who moves every few years has a wall colors she loves. Before she moves in, she has all the rooms painted by a professional. This can sometimes take weeks. She has carpet removed and hardwoods and Kardean flooring put down as well.

She creates a gorgeous neutral home. Her color is in her furniture and decor. No accent walls. So she isn't limiting buyers to those who love those colors or are willing to paint over them.

Her homes sell in a heartbeat.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:23 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,374,939 times
Neutral colors make it easier for someone to envision the possibilities. It's that simple.

You have a blank canvas in front of you and your imagination runs wild with possibilities. If someone put a canvas in front of you where a quarter was painted bold red, another quarter pale yellow and the last half sky blue, many people are going to stand there and think, "WTF?" It's the same canvas, same dimensions, but the latter requires someone who can envision what to do with their colorful canvas, or the desire to spend time painting over everything to have a clean surface to begin working with.

Sadly, most people aren't exceptionally creative, can't envision what might be, and are strongly influenced by what is right in front of their eyes.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:32 AM

51,592 posts, read 25,602,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
Neutral colors make it easier for someone to envision the possibilities. It's that simple.

Sadly, most people aren't exceptionally creative, can't envision what might be, and are strongly influenced by what is right in front of their eyes.
^^^This^^^

My friend has overstuffed leather furniture, antique quartersawn oak furniture, heavenly rugs, gorgeous bedspreads, copper pots... Looks like comfy, old money. Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware have nothing on her.

I suspect buyers walk in and imagine they could be living like this.

Or maybe the Crate and Barrel folks envision how wonderful their beige sofa would look against those floors.

Who knows?

I just know that she has had great success with her decorating scheme, even during times of slow sales.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:55 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,405,025 times
You have to choose if the interior paint color is a requirement (i.e. whether you refuse to buy a home with colors you don't want).

Most homes have internet photos posted of most rooms(main rooms and most or all bedrooms and bathrooms). View the homes via www and only choose to view(in person) those homes that meet your paint color criteria as well as your other requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate