Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 02:10 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times

Advertisements

Yes, I'm curious too. What was the bedroom mess? I can't imagine what could have happened there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 02:36 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quoting OP..."in this case the broker admits in writing to having caused a mess in the white tiled white grout master bathroom, during a shower pan leak test, but stridently shirked any responsibility for the costs to clean up the mess. the broker said she tried to clean up, but never informed the seller of the mess and thus left the home in a far less than presentable condition. this necessitated bringing in the maid to clean up"

You've got the responsible person admitting responsibility for the mess..Follow that up.

The stove situation, the maid saw it happen....No one else was there. You own the house, unless you have proof otherwise, you are responsible for the 600 repair.

I agree with the folks that have said ignore these..... just proceed with the sale......Quibbling over this small amount will cost you time, expense and definitely the sale.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:01 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
In no way am I or my broker responsible for an inspector's actions. Neither I nor my broker hire inspectors. The BUYERS hire inspectors. Inspectors in the state of Texas are licensed and bonded. If something like this happened in Texas, you would go to the inspector and have him take care of things, not the broker or agent.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:25 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
In no way am I or my broker responsible for an inspector's actions. Neither I nor my broker hire inspectors. The BUYERS hire inspectors. Inspectors in the state of Texas are licensed and bonded. If something like this happened in Texas, you would go to the inspector and have him take care of things, not the broker or agent.
That is how it works here too. If the inspector damages something he pays for it.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:35 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
I had an F1 error on my stove once - a much lesser brand I suppose, but it was from overheating. I had let it pre-heat at 400* for too long. It's usually a simple re-set if anything. I shut mine off and let it cool down and nothing more happened. i would see if the range is usable now before doing anything.

I had a home inspector ruin one of my outlets. Apparently he was obsessed with testing every single outlet in my house and broke one and I knew he did it because it was an outlet I used every single day and it was perfectly fine when I left the house for the inspection.

He missed the crack in our foundation wall and a couple other not-so-small things so I just told our RE agent and moved on.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:54 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Quote:
According to the maid they were cleaning and the range just then started making a beeping sound. If the Inspector, buyer, and Agent were not there and the range only started making a beeping sound when the maid was there then how does that equate to the Inspector, buyer, or Agent having caused the problem?
Quote:
there was no one living in the house or using the oven, so the error did not happen because of use. either the error happened on its own, which is unlikely, or it happened because of inspector tests, and/or it could be correlated to the maid's activities, which never would have been required if the house was left in clean condition. unfortunately for the Seller, there is no witness, so it can't be proved who created the error if no one is willing to say they caused the error.
If you check deeper into that brand of range/ovens, you will find complaints that they just start that beeping. As it was not beeping when the inspector was there (which they would have noted as a fault that needed corrected if it had, there was no way that the inspector or agent were responsible for the F1 problem. Especially as it did not start doing it till the maid was there. If anyone caused it, it was the maid and this is highly unlikely. That brand of oven is notorious according to owners, to suddenly start it's beeping. Possible cause is a fluctuation in the electrical supply.

There is no way that the inspector or agent caused it as it did not start till after they left. And complaints say, that after the stove was turned off, the beeping can start at any time day or night. The stove has a problem and the inspector and agent are not responsible. This may have been happening for a while, and the owner found how to get it to stop, until after the next time it was used, which is a common problem. They should have revealed there was a problem with the F1 if that is so. It is a faulty piece of equipment and needs fixed by the owner.

The company has a bad reputation for making equipment that goes bad at any time. Here are some complaints.

Top 273 Complaints and Reviews about Dacor Appliances

As this post says (same with many others), the F1 beeper can start at any time, including in the middle of the night. So no one needs to be doing anything to get it going. The inspector may have turned on the stove to check it, and later it starts beeping as some say they will.

http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/...cor-rsd30.html

And the owner can be held responsible to fix the problem.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Quoting OP..."in this case the broker admits in writing to having caused a mess in the white tiled white grout master bathroom, during a shower pan leak test, but stridently shirked any responsibility for the costs to clean up the mess. the broker said she tried to clean up, but never informed the seller of the mess and thus left the home in a far less than presentable condition. this necessitated bringing in the maid to clean up"

You've got the responsible person admitting responsibility for the mess..Follow that up.

The stove situation, the maid saw it happen....No one else was there. You own the house, unless you have proof otherwise, you are responsible for the 600 repair.

I agree with the folks that have said ignore these..... just proceed with the sale......Quibbling over this small amount will cost you time, expense and definitely the sale.
What kind of mess happens in the white tiled grout in a normal inspection?

Old 09-14-2014, 08:11 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Who hired the inspector? If it's the buyer then the buyer and inspector eat the cost of damages/charges/repair. But if you already got the house sold I would just eat the cost and let the sale go through. In principal I would like to stand my ground but if I'm doing a sale for 4-500k $680 bucks is such a small amount that I would just eat it and move on.
It really just depends on how strongly you feel in making a point and how willing are you to lose the sale. If you are that upset demand reimbursement for damages but buyer may cave, complain or walk. Just make sure you are ok with the possible loss of the sale

Old 09-14-2014, 10:55 PM

So, let me ask about the agents. When the buyer's agent was there to see the damage, she should have reported that to the seller's (your) agent. We know she called your agent to say what was done and what was needed to be done regarding the inspeciton. So she left out some important things. There is some kind of law some places about not doing something and therefore causing more damage. You could check that out.

Let me ask you....do you have an agent? What is your agent saying?

Old 09-15-2014, 02:03 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Quote:
Everyone is forgetting an important factor.

The F1 was not flashing and beeping, till the maid was there. In other words, if it was something that the inspector or the agent accompanying the inspector had done, it would have been flashing before the maid was there. It happened a period of time after the inspector and agent were there.

Plus, that particular range, has a reputation for the F1 problem and can start at any time. They can get it to shut off by cutting off the electricity and when they turn it on it is O.K. according to some owners. Then the beeping can start at any time day or night as it is a problem with the circuit board. The big question is: Had it happened before while the owner was living in the house and got stopped, and just started up again when the maid was there.

It is the owners responsibility to correct the problem in the stove, before the sale closes, as it did not happen during the inspection, etc. Don't blame the inspector, when something happens after they have been in the home and left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate